my ef is leaking oil and coolant 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: my ef is leaking oil and coolant
Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:27 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ef fairmont ghia

VIC, Australia

have a slight prob with my ef fairmont ghia. its pissing out oil and coolant everwhere. its just done its 2nd head gasket and i get the feeling they did a bad job of it. i know they leak coolant if they do one but my question is do they leak oil if the head is put on bad or something. value your input. thanks

Post subject: Re: my ef is leaking oil and coolant
Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

zeus wrote:
have a slight prob with my ef fairmont ghia. its pissing out oil and coolant everwhere. its just done its 2nd head gasket and i get the feeling they did a bad job of it. i know they leak coolant if they do one but my question is do they leak oil if the head is put on bad or something. value your input. thanks

was the head shaved before it was put back on.

i dont mean hi-jack the thread but seeing as where on the subject is it possible that the block can warp

Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

I would take your Fairmont back to the Mechanic and abuse the f**k out of him for not fixing it properly the first time! Because if it has been less the 12months since they did the Head-job (He- he get it Head job!) it is still under warranty by Law. So they have to re-do it properly for no cost!

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:07 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

the block on them can warp cause i had a mate with an ef xr6 that did three head gaskets in a year and they said that was the prob. im hoping mine isnt that cause the first time i did it i paid a s**t load to get it fixed" properly"( yeah right) and found out that he used a s**t head gasket that only lasts 12 months or so. i took it it some where diff this time and they charged me a s**t load of cash again and its still stuffed. might take it back tommorow. :twisted:

Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

take the rig bk and abuse the f**k out of the a**hole who "fixd" it mate :D

Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

I recommend that you get a JMM head gasket, and use his tensioning for it. Tell this to the garage bloke, and make sure he does it. The JMM head gasket is $100, but worth it!!

Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA ute, FG XR6T

NSW, Australia

During the origional repair, your invoice would have reflected the head shaved, supply (new) gasket, supply (new) headbolts? The onus on yourself would have been to ensure engine is not driven if overheating, as part of the waranty condition?

Obviously your cooling system would be in good repair, an independent mechanic would vouch this in a report prior to warranty return.

It all rides on the assumption that all these things were discussed, not just implied (and reflected on your invoice). Unfortunately you won't get a clear indication as to why the early failure has taken place once you return it to this repairer for rectification unless your physically there to inspect the head during its removal from the block (and inspect the mating surfaces for signs of earlier machining). Do not jump to conclusions or make any accusations at this point. Take photos and quietly note your findings. Keep your hand close to your chest.

What you must insist on is a full detailing of the rectification being performed (the details I stated at the beginning of this post). Demand an included report as to the cause of this early failture. Also ensure a renewed warranty period to the work now being performed.

In addition, I would recommend a compression test be performed first at another mechanics workshop for your own interests and record.

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:12 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

prob fixed the mechanic who put the head stud bolt in used one that was the wrong size and it didnt tighten the head so it leaked oil and coolant. didnt cost anything so all is well now

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

So Zeus did you abuse the complete f**k out of him for being such an unprofessional imbocile of a backyard mechanic for putting the wrong headbolt on :?: Like Hello he didn't have "Tool" written on his forehead did he :!:

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

dude! who do you let work on your car? Do you actually know your mechanic, and if so what was he thinking? The 'head job' hehe, is something that should be done once, and right. The head has to be shaved and mated correctly to your new gasket as it would have been the morning it left the factory.

My advise to you, find a decent mechanic, (get a mate to mc smack the other one!) and when the head is done again, change the radiator, water pump, hoses and get a warantee on the work.

good luck bruz

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:30 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

there simply is no good mechanic in sale. everyone is dodgy. the ford dealer flogs the f**k out of your car and wallet and virtually everywhere else are f**k useless. the first time i did a head gasket it was done s**t so i change mechanics and it gets f**k again. not much hope here might have to change towns

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]