Fordmods Logo

My EL Ghia 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: My EL Ghia
Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:55 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Hi all,

I have recently aquired an EL Fairmont Ghia, and it really does seem to be slow! Now i know these arent fast cars anyway but in comparison to me EL Futura and definatly to my ED Mont its a dog. Both my ED and the new EL are manuals and the ED absolutly kills the EL, there really is no comparison. Now i have changed a few thing but just wondering if you guys have any other ideas on what I could look for.

I have changed the plugs, leads, coil, dizzy cap and rotor. He had as wierd intake so i changed that back to almost factory to see if that was some how restricting it but no. Changing the ignition stuff did make a difference for sure but not to anywhere near the ED. I have adjusted the timing (slightly advanced), and thats pretty much where it ends. The extractors look cheap and are not mandrel bent i thought these may have been restricting it as they look small, also he had some head work done on a non tickford head and someone put a cam in it that was supposed to be the same grind as a tickford one, now i suspect that if this was done with the same rubbish knowledge of the car all the other work he did on it was done it could well be not a great cam at all. So i thought that maybe if this was a custome grind and they got it wrong that could be restricting it too (i have a standard cam i could put back in to try maybe ??).

It just feels as tho its being held back and restricted. Oh and i changed the fuel filter too.

Any advice you could give would be great appreciated as I do like the car just not going that slow.
Regards ... JAMIN

Post subject: Re: My EL Ghia
Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

i would be checking/resetting the timing
make sure to follow thw procedure earthing the pins on the diagnostic plug under the dash

Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:18 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: FG MK2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

Blocked Cat? Although usually with this it wont rev over about 3.5k.

Formerly LV XR5 Turbo, AU Fairmont Ghia V8 & EBII Fairmont I6.

Now......
Feb 2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual
- Luxury Pack

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Hey guys,

Thanks for your responses, but i have reset the timing to standard before i advanced it doing as you say by earthing out the two pins but i have since advanced it again (its runs better).

Also the cat is near new and is a high flow cat.

Thanks again, any other ideas?

Jamin

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:43 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: el xr6, r33 series 2 skyline

Power: 149 rwkw

SA, Australia

just unlucky

God made s**t, Holden put wheels on it

skyline daily
ford building

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

If you have an EL ghia, you should have the tickford head and cam fitted from factory. I can't see whhy the previous owner would have removed this for a standard cam (but the headwork I can understand being completed on a standard head)

As suggested, check your timing. Check your ignition and your cam timing. If your cam is a tooth out - it can cause the car to be sluggish too.
Check your exhaust for blockages - both the cat and the muffler can be blocked, causing prro performance.

Apart from that - I am not too sure what else to check

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 08 BF Ghia

VIC, Australia

Thats strange, The EL should be a little quicker. I have exactly the same car as you. I found extractors where useless and provided a power loss if anything.

I had exhaust+extractors+filter+advanced timing I put the car back to standard and couldn`t notice any power loss(slight midrange loss)

I would say they probably stuffed thing up when the head was removed and they butchered it. Engine could be worn out how many KMS?

A compression check could be a worthwhile test. Check the correct ecu is fitted. Dyno run will show if its output is right.

Leads, plugs, Filters all need checking/replacement.

Keep us posted

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]