Fordmods Logo

My heaterbox won't come out!!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: My heaterbox won't come out!!!
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Hey guys, I have an XG ute and I currently have the dash out doing the heatercore as one of the pipes going to it came off when I was pulling a hose off!!

I currently have the dash out and is lying on the floor of the car with some wires still attached, I have enough room to pull out the heatercore.

I have undone the 4 bolts in the engine bay and the other coolant line going to the heater core. I have also had the a/c drained and the ac lines d/c.

When I pull on the box the bit near the drivers side feels loose and wants to come out, but the section near the passenger side still feels really tight, like something else is holding it on.....

Am I missing anything, the ford workshop manual didn't help me too much. It just said, remove bolts from engine bay and remove heater core. It mention something about undoing bolts/screws/clips from the plenum box but I can't find what its referencing too.

Please please please please help!!!!! What am I missing????

Attachments:
File comment: The box on the left wants to come with the box on the right when I pull on it?

In the middle of the 2 boxes feels as if something is holding it to the fire wall.

heater box.JPG
heater box.JPG [ 45.22 KiB | Viewed 157 times ]

XG Ute. BBM conversion, EL ECU + J3 Chip, 3" Stainless Steel Intake Pipe, K&N Pod Filter, Wade 1673 Camshaft, Pacemaker extractors, 2.5 Inch Hi-Flow Cat, 2.5 Inch exhaust, Cab Extension, 18" FG GT Rims, resprayed in blueprint.

Post subject: Re: My heaterbox won't come out!!!
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:37 pm 
SA Cruise Moderator

Ride: 1993 EBll xr6, 2003 ba xt

Power: 150 rwkw

SA, Australia

from memory when i did my eb you have to lift and wiggle it out.

Owning 1 of 84,847 ebII.
2x clarion subs 1200w, 1x clarion amp 400w, pioneer headunit, 16x8 roh reflex.
Clear side, front indicators, White dials, trip computer, boot spoiler, K & N air filter.
35% tint, paint code (z) stark white, 3" crome nudge bar, Xh snorkle

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:38 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i think you will find there is a few more nuts in the engine bay that you missed..

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I thought there were 6 nuts in the engine bay? There was in the EB Ghia I wrecked recently. It required some wiggling, and to make sure the a/c is disconnected too.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies!!

Well I have undone a total of 4 nuts in the engine bay? I have had a pretty decent look and can't find any more to undo. There are some other white threads hanging out which look similar to the heater box's but none of these have nuts on them, and they don't move when I violently shake the heater box lol.

I don't really want to pull any harder and I am pretty sure something is going to snap. I have rocked it quite significantly to try to get it out already. I feel like something else is holding it.

Are both those black boxes meant to come out???? The one on the left and the right?

These are the nuts I have undone

6 nuts in the engine bay???? That only makes sense if those white things are nuts??????? See the one in the middle how its painted white. It never had a bolt on it and doesnt move when I wiggle the box.

Is there anything else I am missing on the inside, or does it all just pull out, wiring and all

Attachment:
IMG_0280.JPG
IMG_0280.JPG [ 33.18 KiB | Viewed 118 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0281.JPG
IMG_0281.JPG [ 38.52 KiB | Viewed 131 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0282.JPG
IMG_0282.JPG [ 38.55 KiB | Viewed 147 times ]

XG Ute. BBM conversion, EL ECU + J3 Chip, 3" Stainless Steel Intake Pipe, K&N Pod Filter, Wade 1673 Camshaft, Pacemaker extractors, 2.5 Inch Hi-Flow Cat, 2.5 Inch exhaust, Cab Extension, 18" FG GT Rims, resprayed in blueprint.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

okay I have been doing a heap of research and Troyman is right, there is a few more screws, there apparently is 6 for the XF and 6 for the EB so therefore there must be 6 for the XG,
So WHY CANT I FIND THEM!!!! I can only see 4!!!!!!!!!! Anyone know where the other 2 are?????

I really appreciate your help everyone, sorry if I sound like a newb but I have honestly had a good look for the other 2!!!!

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

IIRC on a EA thru ED there is 4 behind the engine, and 2 more up near the heater & a/c pipes, probably have to move something to see them. Check up real close to the inner guard in that area.

Good luck dude.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Thanks mate, found one more behind the bracket holding the coolant reservior. The box almost comes out now, I have undone 5 bolts in total. The box seems stuck on this bracket thing!! I can't get it out any further. I still cant find the last nut if there is one. I'm thinking I may have to undo these brackets..... I shouldnt need to should i??

Attachment:
bracket.JPG
bracket.JPG [ 51.79 KiB | Viewed 159 times ]

This job is seriously crap.............. I'm in too deep now I gotta finish it!!!

Sorry if I am asking a bit step by step!! I really do appreciate your help guys, if it wasn't for your help, I don't know what I'd do!!!!

Keep the help coming guys, thanks!!

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

That's what these forums are for dude, so don't stress it!

If that's the bracket on the trans tunnel, at the bottom of the dash, yes, I do believe it has to come out. Should be 2 x m10 bolts or nuts holding it down?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

sweet, i'll go an attack it now!!

I love how easy the ford manual makes it seem. "Undo bolts in engine bay, remove heater box"

I'll post back with how I go!!

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:06 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Sweet, undid that bracket, with the 2 nuts on the trans tunnel and the 2 attaching it to the other bracket. And Yes, congrats they where m10 lol. I tried a 12 first but was too big lol.

The heater box is loose now, I just have to wiggle it around all the looms and vac lines to get it out and then see what I have done to my heater core!!! I'll do that tomorrow

I am thinking of just throwing in a new one while I am here because there is no way in hell I am having this dash out again or this stupid heater unit! I feel sorry for sooty72 who had to have it out several times!!

Anyways I really appreciate your help guys, here's a couple of pics of my work in progress, If it wasn't for this heater core I would most likely have my guards and doors on by now but yeah oh well there's always next weekend!!

I just hope this dash goes back in alright and everything works, I would hate to finish this project, chuck the battery in and turn the key and nothing happens!!!! We'll cross the bridge when we come to it though

Fordmods you rock!!!!!

Attachment:
File comment: This is the car straight away after I had finished spraying it. It needs wet sanding and buffing though!!!
IMG_0270.JPG
IMG_0270.JPG [ 48.49 KiB | Viewed 149 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: I had a bit of a downer day and needed a bit of inspiration to keep going on my car, wet sanded a small section and buffed it with some cheap compound. Turn out alright!
IMG_0276.JPG
IMG_0276.JPG [ 29.24 KiB | Viewed 142 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: How my car looks at the moment, sorry about the bad pic, its off my phone and its night time!
IMG_0286.JPG
IMG_0286.JPG [ 50.24 KiB | Viewed 130 times ]

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Glad to read that your getting there man, good work!. I've done the heater & a/c core's on the E series car's a few times now, and need to do my heater core on the Eb Ghia I6 before winter rolls around. Plenty of other things to worry about in the mean time tho.

The ute is looking good, keep at it.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]