Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: My problem fixed!!
Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL XR6

VIC, Australia

hi all
in regards to the article on the common problems experienced by ford owners on here, i would like to add my 2 cents worth to all those who may have had the similar problems as i did.

My problem was in the Idle Speed Controller. it was making my car slow down when backing off the revs and idling eratically (see the article).

now in the article, it says to clean out the passage ways in the throttle body and the valve. i did this and to no avail. it was pretty dirty and i found out that petrol can also be used as a substitiue for turps or WD 40 but you do need to wipe the inside out to get it properly clean. next, after taking the car for a drive i disconnected the sensor...

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!! although it does idle from anywhere between 250-500 rpm with the sensor off, it does sort itself out. now i am going to order a new sensor...

for 5 months i have been trying to work out what is wrong with it. ford have checked the throttle position sensor, the idle(apparently its adjustable with a screw??) but no one thought to look at the little sensor just to the right of it!!!!

just like to say thanx because if it wern't for you guys i would still have ford tryin to sell me new throttle bodies and resetting the computer!!!!!

this is the page in which the article is
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=23

EL XR6, 5 Speed Manual, Extractors, Exhaust, 3" Intake, EL GT Intake, Alpine sound system,lowered, 136rwkw.. to come.. another sub and boot install

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EL Wagon & BF MK II

NSW, Australia

I have the same problem with my El Wagon, how much did the new ISC cost?

I'm a self made millionare
Thug Livin out a prison, pistols in the air,
Biggie, remember when I used to let you sleep on the couch
and beg a b**ch to let you sleep in the house,
Tupac Shakur ---

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

so ur saying u pulled the plug on the isc? the black plug?

SIGNATURE REMOVED - REFER TO FORUM GUIDELINES!

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

not sure yet, just got it workin right tonite. im ordering one tomorrow but if u can put up with a bit of an idle issue (it wouldn't be as bad in an auto) for a week or so its a good idea because it makes normal driving so much better. ill see if i can get a rough idea on the cost and get back to ya hopefully tomorrow

EL XR6, 5 Speed Manual, Extractors, Exhaust, 3" Intake, EL GT Intake, Alpine sound system,lowered, 136rwkw.. to come.. another sub and boot install

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

yeah sure did. just pull the clip on the bottom down and pull away

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

a few people on here have a switch and turn three ISC off when the cars warm.

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

well i noticed it mainly when the car was normal operating temp but the idle is a bit of a pain and drivin it like it was just aint worth it. why would u have to jump on the brakes harder when all u have to do is replace a sensor or just take it off!!!

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:30 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

wait macca...what happened to ur car? did u have a rough idle and such? cause i don't think i remember the previous topic about u having a problem...sorry im a bit ignorant at times.

if u did have a problem with idling i think ill have to look into mine as well.

cheers

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i dont use my isc its crap, car drinks more with it on and sounds much better with it off as the revs dont bloody hang, just bump up the revs a little

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

i have mine disconnected temporarily because the cam im running doesnt idle with it on, but its a b**ch to start, especially when its cold. i have to give it petrol for about 3 mins to hold the revs at about 1k so it doesnt stall, then when its warm its ok, and then when it comes on to turning on an accessory or at full lock it surges heaps, it doesnt compensate the revs as that is what that throttle stepper is meant to do right? it adjusts the revs automatically when needed to maintain some sort of constant.
i cant wait to change the cam and plug it back in!

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Put a blanking plate with smaller holes in between the ISC and throttle body.
That way the ISC still *tries* to work, but can only bump up the revs a small amount.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

hey guys,
tried to start mine today cold... it stalled... again and again...

phongus my problem was it would idle eratically (jump above 1000rpm for no reason) and it would take forever to come back down from where i backed it off. for instance, if i took it to 3000rpm in any gear it would take its jolly time to come down. in all seriousness, you could nearly make a coffee in the time it took!!!!

i also agree with what FAST-XR says in that it doesnt idle very well just surges around 250 - 500. i tried to up the idle speed a bit but it started to surge between 500-1000 rpm. then i decided id plug it in just to see the result. it idled at 2500RPM!!!

i dunno whether to just up the idle a lil bit and drive it without the sensor or put the sensor back on and drive it somehow...

also, i ordered the idle speed controller today, would it come with a new sensor or is it just the valve?? i know it is the valve but if it dont come with a new sensor then im gonna stop it coming

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:39 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Could be the driver in the ECU, you never know.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

voxace wrote:
Could be the driver in the ECU, you never know.
well i fiddled around with the idle bolt (the one next to the throttle body and it seems to like idling around the 750 mark nicely!!! so i might see if this new controller does anything otherwise ill just leave it the way it is

i wondered that myself but its not doing it atm without the sensor. do you know if they have seperate drivers for every sensor because i know there is no fault code for idle speed controller related faults

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:17 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon Futura EL

NSW, Australia

macca20042 wrote:
i wondered that myself but its not doing it atm without the sensor. do you know if they have seperate drivers for every sensor because i know there is no fault code for idle speed controller related faults

Sorry to jump on this thread so late but have you checked the power steering pressure switch? It compensates idle and when broken it will idle high. You can simply bridge the connection to test if it solves your problem (if you haven't already :)

J

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]