Fordmods Logo

Mysterious Coolant Leak 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Mysterious Coolant Leak
Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I've got a radom coolant leak. It happens every now and then, probably 6 times that I've noticed in the last month. It only drops about 100ml's or leess of the stuff, and it's comming from the passenger side of the engine. The queer thing is that it doesn't happen all the time, and the level of coolant doesn't seem to be going down!
Had the day off today, so put the front of the car on the ramps after it leaked last night and went looking for it, not a single sign, no wetness nothing. So I cleaned it all the dirt and much and that off, gunna have another look. Queer that there was no sign, checked all the pipes I could find and there connections.

I was thinking maybe tip a bottle of Radiator Stop Leak in there?

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Might be water pump seal. About 3 months before mine let go, i noticed a coolant drip from it. I thought "we'll see how it goes" as it was a small leak.

It stopped leaking within 24 hours.

3 months later, it's niagara falls out the front of the water pump....

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Post subject: Re: Mysterious Coolant Leak
Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
I've got a radom coolant leak. It happens every now and then, probably 6 times that I've noticed in the last month. It only drops about 100ml's or leess of the stuff, and it's comming from the passenger side of the engine. The queer thing is that it doesn't happen all the time, and the level of coolant doesn't seem to be going down!
Had the day off today, so put the front of the car on the ramps after it leaked last night and went looking for it, not a single sign, no wetness nothing. So I cleaned it all the dirt and much and that off, gunna have another look. Queer that there was no sign, checked all the pipes I could find and there connections.

I was thinking maybe tip a bottle of Radiator Stop Leak in there?

Don't go using that s**t, it will block up your radiator & heater core as well as the leak. Unfortunately you are just going to have to keep looking. Last year I was chasing a coolant leak for months, I was loosing coolant but it wasn't always leaking onto the ground. It was only found once the car was on a hoist and i could get a real good look. It turned out to be the head gasket leaking externally in three places up under the inlet manifold.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yep I'd suspect head bolts have lost their tension and head is lifting, soon the h.g will let go......Replace them with new head bolts...Check coolant hose that runs under intake manifold...Pita to replace...Also the bigger coolant hose that comes out between 5 & 6 cylinders on inlet side....Check heater tap also...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: ED 5 Speed GLiXR

QLD, Australia

My ED had a similar problem, was only leaking after like 2 hour drives, and didnt leak much, but was still noticable, coolant level barely moved, then 24 hours later it was all good and fine. Took it to our mechanic, and he had a look and one of the pipes in the radiator was cracked (i forget exactly what he meant, but it was a rail at the bottom that transfers the coolant from side to side, at the very bottom, i forget exactly sorry), so he sent it off to a radiator place, got it all fixed up and it hasnt been a worry ever since. Besides the transmission fluid leaking when i got it back, but that was from the pipe not being connected properly.

17" Tezza Steelies, King F**king lows, pedders sports ryders, 2.5" cat back exhaust, pacemaker extractors, T5 manual
Low, loud and Slow

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Hopefully it's the head gasket, could do with an excuss to do some head work. But then again, hopefully it's not as I'm currently near broke.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]