Fordmods Logo

Na 3 speed Fairlane basics improvments to increase power . 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Na 3 speed Fairlane basics improvments to increase power .
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:44 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: NA Fairlane

QLD, Australia

Hi guys
I have a NA Fairlane, I am haveing a motor built for it. Nearly all new parts. Block has been bored, new head, extractors, dizzy etc. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what are some of the simpler methods of getting more power out of this motor with out needing to do much at the same time as keeping the fuel econmy in mind. Would getting a bigger air intake do much? as I have seen some on Ebay.Also will they just go straight on? Any air filters out there that are good or any one will do?

Thanks in adavnce, Look forward to some replies. :D

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

you have covered the usual, you could upgrade to a 4 speed auto you will prob need the NC ECU dount this would really be that expensive the 3 speeds make the car very slugish

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Rapier wrote:
you have covered the usual, you could upgrade to a 4 speed auto you will prob need the NC ECU dount this would really be that expensive the 3 speeds make the car very slugish

the difference between the three speed box and the 4 on my EF was amazing. Which is kind of suprising when the first 3 gears are the same ratio. Just the 4 speed seemed to transfer the power from the engine to the a** so much better.
but if your going to play around with the gearboxs might want to consider going manual be even better performance wise.
Either way the extra gear will improve your fuel efficency on the highways and that. And you could even change the diff ratio to match and get even more off the like poke.

I see you've got extractors listed so I'll presime you've put a less restrictive exhaust on aswell. You might wanna look at the air intake then. I think the XH snorkel mod will fit the NA's aswell right? And fit a better flowing K&N air filter.

After looking at the intake and driveline you've probably got to go in the motor again. Upgrade the cam shaft.

Have a read through this stick: http://fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66 .

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:45 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Thanks That is great help and very interesting reading. :D

So If I went into ford and asked for a XH snorkel to put onto a NA Fairlane they would know what I mean or would I need a part number? Also Im I right in thinking that this snorkel will go striaght on with out and modifcations?

Thanks

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

PWC666 wrote:
So If I went into ford and asked for a XH snorkel to put onto a NA Fairlane they would know what I mean or would I need a part number? Also Im I right in thinking that this snorkel will go striaght on with out and modifcations?

Read the doco - http://fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=33 .

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

why did you put a 3 speed in an EF , they had 4 speed from factory,,something not right..

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

dodgey x taxi haha

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:28 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Thanks guys. You wouldnt beleive it, I just went into ford for the part and they told me one didn't exsist. I said it was for and what it was off of yet they then told me it wouldnt fit my NA. They still couldnt find the part, i gave them the part number then they went back to saying it wouldnt fit the NA. I said let me worry about that just get me the part. They still didnt want to. I asked them what the air box also went into, Guess what they said? Same part number as an EA NA etc. Funny that. They then where happy to get it in for me.

The hassals of just wanting a simple part. :oops:

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

yeah the morons have argued with me heaps of times. e.g. that i couldn't double up shims, reckoneded there wasn't enough room!

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:53 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

So I take that I would have to cut off the old snorkel mould that is moulded into the radiator houseing? I havent got the snorkel yet but just looking at it it would suggest that is the way?

Any one eles done this to a NA EA yet?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]