Fordmods Logo

NASON timing kit instsllation ?'s 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: NASON timing kit instsllation ?'s
Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: EF-XR6/XG-6/XE-V8- project

Hello people,just wanted to know if anyone has used the NASON timing kit (I got mine off ebay),just need to know if the gaskets are any good or if anyones had any trouble with the guides,also is the timing chain worth changing,I've been told not to bother as these chains rarely need replacing,is this correct? :roll:

XG DOHC-BARRA 182/Turbo kit/20% Underdrive and BA 4-SPEED + Tiptronic shifter

https://youtube.com/channel/UCaRUQ10of3FlOuSpvfapOtA

Post subject: Re: NASON timing kit instsllation ?'s
Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:04 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

johnnyeHCF wrote:
Hello people,just wanted to know if anyone has used the NASON timing kit (I got mine off ebay),just need to know if the gaskets are any good or if anyones had any trouble with the guides,also is the timing chain worth changing,I've been told not to bother as these chains rarely need replacing,is this correct? :roll:

If you bought the complete Nason timing kit, it would have come with new chain, sprockets, gaskets and tensioner. Since you have it all apart, might as well replace it.

Nason is fine from what I hear. I sure hope so, I have one full kit sitting here.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura DUH

NSW, Australia

johnnyeHCF wrote:

I have a Nason kit.
No troubles yet after about 15,000km.

As phongus said, why not change the chain? Although nothing like a Belt, could you immagine if it went? You would be hating life.. :lol:

1996 EF Futura factory manual
Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.
Future Mods: A mortgage...

Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Yea I think I agree,I have the whole kit except the sprocket,will change chain aswell,I also have two sets of head bolts one being nason the other ACL,the ACL's came with a head kit I bought,I want to use an au head gasket with the rest of the gaskets coming from the ACL head kit,works out cheaper,does anyone know what the little plug is in the top left corner under the timing cover as mine fell out,lucky I found the bugger,but which way does it go,Im assuming tappered end in,theres nothing supposed to be behind that is there,also the tappered end or smaller end is quite worn on one side,is this or does this need replacing?

Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

johnnyeHCF wrote:
Yea I think I agree,I have the whole kit except the sprocket,will change chain aswell,I also have two sets of head bolts one being nason the other ACL,the ACL's came with a head kit I bought,I want to use an au head gasket with the rest of the gaskets coming from the ACL head kit,works out cheaper,does anyone know what the little plug is in the top left corner under the timing cover as mine fell out,lucky I found the bugger,but which way does it go,Im assuming tappered end in,theres nothing supposed to be behind that is there,also the tappered end or smaller end is quite worn on one side,is this or does this need replacing?

Do you mean the oil pressure control valve? It sits in the block behind the T/C.
From memory it has a flat end and a open end. I am pretty sure the open end faces out the hole (someone may confirm)
Make sure you fit the o ring around it between the T/C and the block.

Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.

Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The little hole in the block under the 10 that is cast into the head?

Attachments:
1223.JPG
1223.JPG [ 143.77 KiB | Viewed 251 times ]

Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Yea thats the one,its in an xr,think they are the same thou,is this a wearing part that needs replacing or can I pop him back in,as I said seems to have wear on one side of the smaller end which I hope is the inner end,WTF,didnt expect it to fall out,just worried-dont want to make a mistake with this,too expensive!!

Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

johnnyeHCF wrote:
Yea thats the one,its in an xr,think they are the same thou,is this a wearing part that needs replacing or can I pop him back in,as I said seems to have wear on one side of the smaller end which I hope is the inner end,WTF,didnt expect it to fall out,just worried-dont want to make a mistake with this,too expensive!!

I bought mine from Ford spares, it wasn't too dear, $10-$15 maybe.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]