Post subject: Need a quiet free flowing exhaust
Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Gday

I just got a new 3.9 diff and its great and all, until i get on the freeway. It sits on 2250-2300rpm and my exhaust drones baddd. I hate it haha, anyone know of a good free flowing 2.5" exhaust. I don't want Redback as the cars I have been in drone as well.

Cheers

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Post subject: Re: Need a quiet free flowing exhaust
Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

SA, Australia

Add another muffler or resi to your system. Something like a hotdog before your muffler but after your cat should do the trick. It will still flow well but will remove some of that drone you speak of at higher rpm and it should be cheaper than forking out for a new exhaust.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

What system do you have now?
If you've still got a cat, a box before the diff and a hotdog after it should be plenty, I had this system on the mont that I totalled with 4499s up front, and when you were just cruising or backing off you couldnt tell it had an aftermarket exhaust setup on it, no drone anywhere through the rev range either and it still had a decent note to it.
It wasnt a redback system, cant remember what box it was but the hotdog was just a cheapie from the exhaust joint.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

With my system I have 4480s, hiflow cat, a hotdog, glass pack muffler (straight thru offset) and a resi in the tail pipe and that is nice and quiet. Almost like stock, but not quite.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ok cheers, yeah mines way to loud, I even got it quietened before I got the diff. It's 4480's, highflow cat, hotdog, straight through muffler then a hotdog at the end. Should I change the rear hotdog to a proper resi?

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
ok cheers, yeah mines way to loud, I even got it quietened before I got the diff. It's 4480's, highflow cat, hotdog, straight through muffler then a hotdog at the end. Should I change the rear hotdog to a proper resi?

I think its worth a try. The proper resi on the tailpipe is normally glass packed so should reduce more drone than your average hotdog, and they are physically bigger than a hotdog too which helps reduce noise.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The auto doesnt help either.

My setup used to be 3.89's, auto, 4480's, 2.5inch exhaust and 1 large muffler before the diff. Now its manual, it revs slightly higher but doesnt have the drone. Go figure. Although your EL has the cam installed as well, so that changes the note again. 2 medium sized glasspack mufflers should do the job. What CPI is your cat? I find the 200cpi cats give the best note, after switching from a 400cpi.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
The auto doesnt help either.

My setup used to be 3.89's, auto, 4480's, 2.5inch exhaust and 1 large muffler before the diff. Now its manual, it revs slightly higher but doesnt have the drone. Go figure. Although your EL has the cam installed as well, so that changes the note again. 2 medium sized glasspack mufflers should do the job. What CPI is your cat? I find the 200cpi cats give the best note, after switching from a 400cpi.

Ahk cheers, yeah im not to sure what cpi my cat is, its Magnaflow stainless 2.5" but they probably have all different types. How come you changed to manual? 3.89's with manual would be pretty short gearing wouldn't it?

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I changed to manual because the auto was a bit buggered, and I found a manual conversion kit for a bit less than what an auto rebuild would have cost. I prefer the manual anyway, the extra gear, and control over what your transmission is doing are big plusses to me. 1st is pretty short even with wagon or xr diff gears, with the skyline gears its very short lol. Hard to do propper burnouts because 1st is so short the tyres dont rotate fast enough to really loose grip, and 2nd is a bit long for the engines torque to be able to sustain one, so its rather good for taking off at full noise and keeping grip under relative control. It needs a cam pretty badly, since it tends to keep the revs up on upshifts when you are moving with intent. 5th gear sits on about 2500 rpm at 100kph, closer to 2850 at 110. you dont need to downshift to overtake, it pretty much just picks up and goes. 4th gear feels great coming out of 3rd, it doesnt drop much and just pulls, where 3rd feels like its a bit revvy.

The idea was always to go to 3.45's but work didnt hold out, and now im doing a uni course so the money just isnt there. It does the job, and gets me around so I cant complain :)

How good are the 3.89s behind the auto? It felt to me thats what the xr's should have had all along, it puts each gear in the right spot, and takes off very nicely.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

autos + big exhaust = geigh

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:51 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Get a XFORCE Au live axle 2.5" mandrel Bent 2 muffler exhaust system fitted. Better than Lukey and Redback crap........ you will pay a little bit more but they sound alot better.....

Current ride 2007
ML GLX Dualcab Triton 4x4

Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Get a proper resonator before the tailpipe, not a hotdog.

After having to temporarily remove the resonator on my stock exhaust with 4480's and 2.5in cat I was shocked at the god awful P plater drone.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
I changed to manual because the auto was a bit buggered, and I found a manual conversion kit for a bit less than what an auto rebuild would have cost. I prefer the manual anyway, the extra gear, and control over what your transmission is doing are big plusses to me. 1st is pretty short even with wagon or xr diff gears, with the skyline gears its very short lol. Hard to do propper burnouts because 1st is so short the tyres dont rotate fast enough to really loose grip, and 2nd is a bit long for the engines torque to be able to sustain one, so its rather good for taking off at full noise and keeping grip under relative control. It needs a cam pretty badly, since it tends to keep the revs up on upshifts when you are moving with intent. 5th gear sits on about 2500 rpm at 100kph, closer to 2850 at 110. you dont need to downshift to overtake, it pretty much just picks up and goes. 4th gear feels great coming out of 3rd, it doesnt drop much and just pulls, where 3rd feels like its a bit revvy.

The idea was always to go to 3.45's but work didnt hold out, and now im doing a uni course so the money just isnt there. It does the job, and gets me around so I cant complain :)

How good are the 3.89s behind the auto? It felt to me thats what the xr's should have had all along, it puts each gear in the right spot, and takes off very nicely.

fair enough, dont no if i could handle 2500rpm at 100k's though. Yeah the 3.89's are massive upgrade, the car just belts off the line. I can actually feel the cam kick in now.

Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I have booked it in for another change, so its going to be: 4480's>2.5"highflow cat>Hotdog>straight through muffler> and a proper resi in the tail pipe.

Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
I have booked it in for another change, so its going to be: 4480's>2.5"highflow cat>Hotdog>straight through muffler> and a proper resi in the tail pipe.

Thats basically what I have. It will still give good flow, just wont be droney like some exhausts

Cheers
Shav

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next