Fordmods Logo

Need confirmation on a rough idle? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Need confirmation on a rough idle?
Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA Ghia '03

Recently my EL has been idling rough, and almost stalling, in either park, neutral, or in drive and I've come to a stop at a set of lights etc. Sometimes it will jump from nearly 1k to about 500rpm or less and eventually sit just above 500rpm.

I cleaned out the ISC, leads aren't loose, unplugged a few sensors (MAP and TPS) and that didn't fix the issue. However I sprayed a bit of degreaser on the intake manifold gasket and at #1 cylinder in the corner if I spray it, the car starts to choke. So I'm thinking that's my issue. Does the intake manifold gasket only cause the car to idle rough and/or stall every now and then? The car drives fine otherwise, or so I haven't noticed any power loss.

Just don't want to take the BBM off for no reason, that's all, cheers.

Post subject: Re: Need confirmation on a rough idle?
Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

Tech90 wrote:
Recently my EL has been idling rough, and almost stalling, in either park, neutral, or in drive and I've come to a stop at a set of lights etc. Sometimes it will jump from nearly 1k to about 500rpm or less and eventually sit just above 500rpm.

I cleaned out the ISC, leads aren't loose, unplugged a few sensors (MAP and TPS) and that didn't fix the issue. However I sprayed a bit of degreaser on the intake manifold gasket and at #1 cylinder in the corner if I spray it, the car starts to choke. So I'm thinking that's my issue. Does the intake manifold gasket only cause the car to idle rough and/or stall every now and then? The car drives fine otherwise, or so I haven't noticed any power loss.

Just don't want to take the BBM off for no reason, that's all, cheers.

try spraying a engine starter,aerostart,start ya bastard or similar,around the manifold gasket,it will rev up with a leak,or split hoses.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

Or you can run the hose over the gasket area (minding the coils) and listen for hissing

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: el fairmont ghia 5.0

VIC, Australia

sounding like you have a split inlet manifold gasket where it meets the head, easy to change, they dry out and crack, should take about half an hour if that to change and about $20 to fix it buddy.

EL FAIRMONT GHIA, Au S3 Ported GT40P'S - 50thou, AU Maf, 70mm t/body, Manual, Modified upper and lower Explorer manifold, crow 621317, running 1.7roller rockers, El gt headers, High flow cats = Loud!!!!

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

el5.0fairmont wrote:
sounding like you have a split inlet manifold gasket where it meets the head, easy to change, they dry out and crack, should take about half an hour if that to change and about $20 to fix it buddy.

So the bbm comes out and the gasket is replaced that goes between the head and manifold yeah? I'm hearing it shouldn't take long to take out the bbm, it's just the bolts that hold the manifold and removing the intake system?

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Tech90 wrote:
el5.0fairmont wrote:

So the bbm comes out and the gasket is replaced that goes between the head and manifold yeah? I'm hearing it shouldn't take long to take out the bbm, it's just the bolts that hold the manifold and removing the intake system?

thats it,remove a battery lead,i dont know if any thing may short out

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: el fairmont ghia 5.0

VIC, Australia

yep, i used to do gas installs for a living and we made it a requirement straight up to do it, do it with a 1/4 inch ratchet makes it a lot easier to do, from memory there is a brace that goes under the lower section of the manifold that goes back to the block near the coil pack, loosen it off so it makes it easier to lean the manifold away from the head, you don't need to remove the bolt all the way, with the manifold just lay it back towards the shock tower slide the old one out new one in. do it all up job is done!

EL FAIRMONT GHIA, Au S3 Ported GT40P'S - 50thou, AU Maf, 70mm t/body, Manual, Modified upper and lower Explorer manifold, crow 621317, running 1.7roller rockers, El gt headers, High flow cats = Loud!!!!

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

el5.0fairmont wrote:
yep, i used to do gas installs for a living and we made it a requirement straight up to do it, do it with a 1/4 inch ratchet makes it a lot easier to do, from memory there is a brace that goes under the lower section of the manifold that goes back to the block near the coil pack, loosen it off so it makes it easier to lean the manifold away from the head, you don't need to remove the bolt all the way, with the manifold just lay it back towards the shock tower slide the old one out new one in. do it all up job is done!

Cheers for that! Any gasket goo needed though?

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Tech90 wrote:
el5.0fairmont wrote:

Cheers for that! Any gasket goo needed though?

i dont think so,see when you change the old one.hot\cold cycles the gasket moves,the metal does as well

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

It doesn't look like there's been gasket goo applied to it so I'll just take it off a little bit and slide out the old one and put the new one in... hopefully it goes as simple as that. I'll fix it on one of my days off work, cheers everyone.

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

No goo needed! And do not over tighten the bolts, it will crack the gasket.
Also you don't remove the BbM just take all the 10mm bolts out and the support bracket bolts and push it aside.
I usually use 1/4" drive with multiple ententions and UNIs and ratchet spanners.

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Use bearing grease on the gasket, it will help keep it from drying out.
I use a 'S' shaped ring spanner on the BBM intakes.....and take the air box out too to reach under.
No need to remove the intake, just undo all the 10mm headed bolts, it will sit just out of the way enough to do the job.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]