Fordmods Logo

New ba owner 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: New ba owner
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:56 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Mustang

Oustide Australia

Hello just wanted to post a quick introduction before asking a bunch of questions. I had joined another forum but it was hacked and lost.
I just purchased a few barra 182 engines with plans to install into an 1985 mustang. The engines were brought stateside because everyone and their mother has a 5.0/5.8 small block and the 4.6/5.4 mod motors are very common here to. The new 5.0 in the mustangs are all over the place already and showing they can make a ton of power. I like having something different that can produce really nice numbers with less then what the other guys have. My old motor was a 2.3 turbo that made 500rwhp/500rwtq and was street driven. That motor was losing ground to the mod motors and now the eco boost. So I decided to stay with ford but outsourced to AU to find what I wanted.
Being here in the states I can't really just go look at stuff and will most likely ask some dumb questions that are simple to you guys. I'm also going to be dealing with fitment problems as we are left hand drive and have different style cross-members.
Hope the questions aren't to basic and look forward to learning a good bit. Thanks

Post subject: Re: New ba owner
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Oustide Australia

I haven't had the chance to drive or ride in one. As you guys most likely know we had the old push rod inlines but rather then staying with the motor we left it up to you guys over there and went to the duratech stuff.
The inline 300 here had a reputation of being bullet proof and producing more usable torque then the 302. The mustang at one point 25+ years ago had an option to get an I6 but they are rare and I have never in my life seen one in person.

Here is the project. If you have dial up don't click this!
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index ... msg1200137

This has been going on for years to get to the point of putting a motor back in it.

Post subject: Re: New ba owner
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Oustide Australia

I have no idea of fitment for the hood/bonnet but with the tubular k member I hope to be able to drop it pretty low in the engine bay.
I bought a turbo manifold but that was it. There was a huge price difference between the na and turbo motors that didn't make sense for me. The turbo short block isn't strong enough for what I have planned so if i'm going to need to buy pistons and rods anyway I figured no sense in buying the turbo stuff. There will be plenty of AU stuff under the hood and most people here don't even know what the motor is or is capable of. Looking at the companies in AU the parts are really expensive and bunches of them came from the US anyway, hope to buy the parts here and save some money.

For fitment I need to figure out if they had any oil pans that aren't front sump? That will hit my k-member dead on. Also need to move the power steering pump over to the other side, would like to move the alternator to. The a/c compressor moving to the right side would help make thing easy. Did the barra ever have them on the other side or is it custom brackets only?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]