Fordmods Logo

new cam help? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: new cam help?
Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1994 falcon

New Zealand

hy guys i have a pretty stock standard EB2 xr6, looking at getting a high performance cam if that sounds right? im gonna get all new valves and springs with it, but wondering if its gonna put strain or cause damage to the car if i get a performance cam without any other work done?

cheers

RIP XS7261

Post subject: Re: new cam help?
Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:24 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: el xr6, r33 series 2 skyline

Power: 149 rwkw

SA, Australia

high comp cam will need a tune as well

you wont get the most out of your cam untill you have upgraded exhuast mods

i dont reckon there will be any damage though

God made s**t, Holden put wheels on it

skyline daily
ford building

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

oh ok sweet az, how much do tunes cost on average? and who where would be best to go to get a cam?

any idea on an exhaust? ive got 3"to2" extractors but nothing else done to exhaust

RIP XS7261

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:17 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: el xr6, r33 series 2 skyline

Power: 149 rwkw

SA, Australia

iv got no idea where to get it done ( im in sa ) but a chip will cost 900bucks for an eliminator one

then with a dyno and tune mabye 1200all up, you could try with just a tune with out the chip but you may find yourself needing the chip if the car keeps stalling ( but thats only with a hot cam )

God made s**t, Holden put wheels on it

skyline daily
ford building

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

If you already have extractors, fit a 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust behind it and you will be pretty much sorted. Best to get quotes from your local exhaust joint, or contact Autobend in Auckland as they supply bolt on exhausts.

As for where to get a cam? Depends on whether you can be stuffed sending one to Aussie and waiting for it to arrive back or if you just want to go local within NZ. Shipping costs can be a real b**ch even going between NZ and Aussie so factor that into your decision. Wade Cams seem to be popular over in Aussie as they grind cams at a pretty good price and give great results, i'm looking at running one of their cam's in my EF next. In your case, i reckon their 1673 grind would work well for you. Over in NZ, there is Franklin Cams, Kelford Cams, Kiwi Cams, CSL Racing and a few others so there's plenty to choose from, the problem is picking something that has proven results or good feedback. I am currently running a Franklin cam in my EF (as is another member on here) and it goes great for me.

A fairly mild cam will run fine on an otherwise stock engine with the stock ECU, with basic mods like upgraded intake and exhaust to make the most of it. Running a big wild cam will warrant other supporting mods on top of that, like uprated valve springs, raised compression, possible headwork, custom tuning to get it to run right etc etc. Custom tuning isn't cheap either. At the very least you will be paying for a tunable chip, the cost of using a dyno plus the time required for a tuner to tune the chip.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

KWIKXR wrote:
If you already have extractors, fit a 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust behind it and you will be pretty much sorted. Best to get quotes from your local exhaust joint, or contact Autobend in Auckland as they supply bolt on exhausts.

As for where to get a cam? Depends on whether you can be stuffed sending one to Aussie and waiting for it to arrive back or if you just want to go local within NZ. Shipping costs can be a real b**ch even going between NZ and Aussie so factor that into your decision. Wade Cams seem to be popular over in Aussie as they grind cams at a pretty good price and give great results, i'm looking at running one of their cam's in my EF next. In your case, i reckon their 1673 grind would work well for you. Over in NZ, there is Franklin Cams, Kelford Cams, Kiwi Cams, CSL Racing and a few others so there's plenty to choose from, the problem is picking something that has proven results or good feedback. I am currently running a Franklin cam in my EF (as is another member on here) and it goes great for me.

A fairly mild cam will run fine on an otherwise stock engine with the stock ECU, with basic mods like upgraded intake and exhaust to make the most of it. Running a big wild cam will warrant other supporting mods on top of that, like uprated valve springs, raised compression, possible headwork, custom tuning to get it to run right etc etc. Custom tuning isn't cheap either. At the very least you will be paying for a tunable chip, the cost of using a dyno plus the time required for a tuner to tune the chip.

ok sweet cheers for the help man, just take a standard EB cam into franklin and ask for a mild performance grind? is it worth just buying new valves and springs at the same time so i can just fit them all at once?

RIP XS7261

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

could someone give me an equal to the 1673 wade cam to one of these franklin cams?

http://www.camshafts.co.nz/Ford.aspx

only know the basics about cams and not really too sure, cheers!

RIP XS7261

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Brownbear wrote:
ok sweet cheers for the help man, just take a standard EB cam into franklin and ask for a mild performance grind?

Yep pretty much. Either send your cam to them or take it directly to them (they are based in Pukekohe) and just tell them that you are after a performance grind cam for your EB. You'll most likely speak with Adrian. He'll ask you about your car, the application and what kind of performance increase you are after, what mod's have been done to the engine, auto or manual etc etc and then give you a recommendation on the cam he thinks will work best based on all of that.

Brownbear wrote:
is it worth just buying new valves and springs at the same time so i can just fit them all at once?

That depends.. Are you taking the head off or something? I wouldn't bother with valves or springs unless you plan on removing the head for some reason like a head gasket change. You don't need to remove the head to fit a camshaft with these engines.

Brownbear wrote:
could someone give me an equal to the 1673 wade cam to one of these franklin cams?

http://www.camshafts.co.nz/Ford.aspx

only know the basics about cams and not really too sure, cheers!

I wouldn't have a clue which cam out of those listed would be a close equivalent to the 1673 cam from Wade. I was told when i rang Franklin Cam's that EA-EL use a 1.9:1 rocker ratio :? so their specs listed would be based on a 1.9:1 rocker ratio.

EA-EL actually use a std rocker ratio of 2:1 which is what Wade and every other cam company bases their specs on. Was very strange to hear that from Franklin Cams though, but that's what they told me.. That aside, Franklin Cams do work well, their cam performed exactly the way they said it would and how i wanted it to so i was more than happy with that.

If it's any help, I know the RH24B grind they have is supposedly 1 step hotter than the standard XR cam. There is another member on here "efxr6wagon" running this RH24B grind in his XR6 and he said it performs pretty much the same as the XR cam down low, but has more pull after 3000rpm or there abouts. I am running a combo grind based on that profile so it would be a tad more aggressive - it's goes alright in my EF, feels a little sluggish, if not the same before 2500rpm but has lots more midrange and top end grunt over stock.

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

ohk sweet az might go buy a cam from the wreckers then and take it into them, looking for more low down power rather then up high power. oh right didnt think about having to take head off etc, might have a think about it and replace gasket at same time, coz it does run dry on water very slowly so think the gasket may be a cause?

RIP XS7261

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2006 BF XR8 Boss 260

New Zealand

I've got my cam with them at the moment, just havn't nailed down which grind yet :) Waiting for measurements and options first.

Current...
XY Faker Project...
EL XR6 Work Hack...

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

sweet man for an EB also?

RIP XS7261

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2006 BF XR8 Boss 260

New Zealand

AU cam, going on a EF XR6 Head in turn onto a EL Hybrid block.

Weeeeeeeeee fun times :D

Current...
XY Faker Project...
EL XR6 Work Hack...

Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

went to pick a part today, got my EB cam, taking it to franklin cams in next few weeks :D

RIP XS7261

Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Brownbear wrote:
went to pick a part today, got my EB cam, taking it to franklin cams in next few weeks :D

Good stuff :P

Also went there today. Did you go to the Mangere one? Awesome weather for it, p****d down as soon as i got there :lol:

Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

haha yeah man went mangere one, pulled the rocker cover off and a smashed in front eb, had mint oil and rocker gear under it, must of just gotten redone then written it off haha

RIP XS7261

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next