New ED Falcon Mods/Probs 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: New ED Falcon Mods/Probs
Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 2008 BFII Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

Hi All

First Post/Topic, just recently becaame the very proud owner of a green GLi 94 ED with 127km on the clock. its a 4sp auto. Everything is great about it, and whats better, it came with a semi hi-fow cat (so says the guy at the exhaust shop) and some genie headers. But nothing is perfect, and i have a few probs, so looking for some help

[and before flaming me, ive used search repatedly. and im asking everything in one thread instead of populating may pages for nothing]

1. Belts squeal EXTREMELY loudly on cold start, but after 15-20 seconds of driving it goes away. condensation on the belts maybe?

2. (the big one) Radiator is leaking. Didnt know when i picked up cause it was pourng rain on saturday morning, but got it home and its leaking. I babied it around and it was all ok, but as soon as i show it some toe, it wets itself all over the road. its not a massive gushing leak, but it comes out at a fair rate. i first noticed after the rain had cleared up i took it for a belt and my brother who was riding shotgun noticed smoke/steam pouring from the engine bay, and a very strong smell of only can be described as celery. pulled over and it was leaking everywhere. took it to a servo- lucky therewas one about 300m down the raod, bottle of stop leak etc, still eaking quite heavily, then i started to overheat, the heat gauge was climbing pretty high, it was almiost out of normal when i pulled over for 20 mins and let it cool off. Now i know most people would say "oh just dont give it any toe" .... yeah right
So, its leaking from both sides of the radiator, or its dripping down from both sides, the leaks seem to be coming from the bottom corners or sides of the radiator. do i need a new radiator or have i blown a hose, and whats a good fix?

now some more general questions

is it worth replacing my genie headers with new pacies. im getting a 2.5 straight pipe with a centre mounted hotodg nnext saturday, wanting to know if its worth swapping the headers at the same time. the car goes pretty well, especially up high revs, wich is whre i want it to be a stormer

cam - want to get big lumpy top end cam, but i know that will increase fuel consumption. now if my girlfriend drives it, she wount be accessing any of that power cause she never gets above 3k revs, but will it still be guzzling because of the cam at low revs, or only up top where the cam kicks in

much appreciated :)

Rocky AKA The Tractor- ED Gli head+cam 3.7 limo 2x15' subs - gone but not forgotten
RED-JET - BFII Fairmont Ghia - Under Construction...
Rambo - NCII Fairlane Ghia 5.0l - just a daily runaround...

Post subject: Re: New ED Falcon Mods/Probs
Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EB Fairmont Turbo

TAS, Australia

Con Grates on getting a fine car mate,

1st Belts

The belts could Loose or hard and need replacing, it normally the alternator belt that is noisy first start up, the part number is a 3PK0895

2nd

Repalce the radiator mate, as they have plastic tanks and are know to crack,

Repco part number is RAD066 and replace the thermostat whislt there DT18F

As for extractors I would save the money and keep the ones you have

EB 2,Turbo EL Motor, Momo Wheel, Cam, Fuel preasure reg, LSD, Color coded boot garnish 17" wheels, Lowered, Shift kit, Slotted & cross Drilled Brakes, AU fuel injectors, & more to come

Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:46 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

edit above, can the trip comps from higher spec fairlanes/fairmonts etc be installed, cause i dont even have a tacho, let alone a trip comp...

Rocky AKA The Tractor- ED Gli head+cam 3.7 limo 2x15' subs - gone but not forgotten

Last edited by hunt3r on Mon May 24, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:47 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

awesome well when i bought it the lass i got it from said it had just been serviced, and i saw the receipt in the back, they did oil, brake fluid, spark plugs and apparently they did belts, but when i opened the boot there were 3 new belts in there.

so a new radiator/ thermostat cool. are they difficult to install yourself, im not a mechanic but im fairly handy and my brother is a carpernter, different field i know but still pretty hands on so if its not a big mission we could install it and save $100/hour in labour costs plus a trip down to the mechanics shop

also, the front seats are quite hight, ive read the manual and it says to jiggle the lever on the right of the drivers seat but its to no effect, are the falcs naturally high riding or is my seat broke. or maybe its me, im fairly tall?

thanks again :D

Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: turbo ed, xr6 turbo

QLD, Australia

headers- leave em alone, unless the ones on there are damaged/squashed u will notice no diff exept a lighter wallet
If coolant is spraying around engine bay this can make belts sqeal, replace ur radiator
Front seat has an adjuster on the side - pull out the handle and move, sometimes can be seized

If u can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem

Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Hi hunt3r

Welcome to Fordmods.

Where abouts in Sydney are you? If you are close by to one of our members they may be able to give you some advice on how to change the radiator and belt etc.

Us Sydney members meet on Friday nights at Liverpool near Harrys de wheels cafe. Check out the cruise section for more details.

New members are always welcome, and we would love to check out your new ride, and offer plenty of advice regarding cheap effective mods, through to a whole lot more.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:20 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

hey all

first thanks for the awesome welcome :D
secondly, im in greystanes, so its between blacktown and parramatta for those who dont know the area. the friday night meet sounds awesome and im gearing up to go for sure, atm my rides a little unmodded, just a sawn-off exhaust (cause im broke till next wednesday but wanted the world to enjoy some 4.0L goodness :D and the stock headers)
how many cars show on a friday on average?

once again thanks for the replies and the welcomes!

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:20 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

hey all

sorry for a ouble post, my work pc is slow and funny :(
just wanted to know about the cam, if i put a big top-ender in will it make it guzzle all the time, or just when its being spanked? reason being missus will be driving soon and i dont really want her lugging around in something with a bad temperamant, so i want all the power coming in top-end so i can crawl around town no worries but if i want to line it up then it will roar its guts out and give the road a good pasting

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]