Fordmods Logo

New engine. Cyl 1 makes no difference. How to diagnose? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: New engine. Cyl 1 makes no difference. How to diagnose?
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Just got my new engine finished and put it in, set the timing etc etc... it runs.. but only on 5 cylinders.. no 1 makes no difference if the lead is on or off..

I know #1 has a spark as I used it to set the timing... I also tried a different lead and a sparkplug I know works fine from my old engine.. but no difference if the lead is on or off. I also put the brand new plug in the lead and earthed out outside the engine and it sparked fine.

I did have the injectors out and I thought maybe it's not getting any fuel.. but I put a screw driver on the side of the injector and put my ear to it.. and it's clicking over just like the others but that doesn't mean there isn't a chunk of dirt stuck in it or something.

Lastly I also tool the spark plug out and started it with nothing in #1 and it made a huge racket sucking and blowing so I don't have a ruddy great hole in a piston or anything. (but I guess still possibly a snapped rocker?)

Can anyone suggest anything to help diagnose? The spark plugs have come out dry.. so I'm tipping towards a blocked injector.. but I don't want to do a lot of unnecessary work if there is an any way to find out what the problem is.

thanks muchly.

cheers

Frank

Post subject: Re: New engine. Cyl 1 makes no difference. How to diagnose?
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

take rocker cover off and try wriggle rockers around. if thers a broken vlalve ther will be one that mooves all over the place.

also try switching injectors. eg. cyl #1 swap with cyl#3?.. if no3 stops working for some strange reason well you might hav your answer.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

LOL.. .just realised how silly I am..

My car is dual fuel.. if I want to rule out the injectors, I can just start it on gas.... going to try that now.

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

YES!!!!

Thank christ for that.. really didn't want to get the tappet cover off again as it's perfect with no leaks and spotlessly clean and fully re-assembled...

Runs sweet on gas.. and since I could hear the injector clicking ok, that means it isn't electrical and I just have a blocked injector.

not a biggie as I run gas all the time normally anyway.. but I have a box of spare injectors here I can use....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]