Fordmods Logo

new exhaust for my ef xr6 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: new exhaust for my ef xr6
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Falcon

NSW, Australia

hey im looking for any ideas on what is the best brand of exhaust for my xr6? i just got 499 pacemakers and hi flow cat and am now looking to get a sports 2.5" with a single muffler. my current exhaust is a 2.5" redback with muffler and rear resinator. i want to know if I should get just the rear section without a resinator or get a different brand front section with the muffler? or both? do some brands put out a better note than others?? help please :)

EF XR6, Red in colour, T5 with short shift, tired LSD, Pioneer head unit, 2.5 exhaust with staino pacemakers, 68mm TB, dumped on ultras, sitting on FTR's with EL bodykits

Post subject: Re: new exhaust for my ef xr6
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

The best exhaust will not be an off the shelf.

In saying that, for lack of effort and price hard to beat Redback. I had a Rage exhaust on my old car (brand from NZ I believe?) which also sounded pretty good. What is it you want to achieve that you feel your Redback doesn't do? (i.e. louder or not happy with the note?)

I currently have 12" cherrybomb/glasspack and Hooker Aerochamber with no resonator. Sounds better than either of the above (which I had on previous cars). If you have a welder handy is the way to go.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

yea i spose my red back puts out a nice note. im just looking for abit more noise and abit of popping and backfire i spose. id probably acheive that by getting the resinator taken out aye? but on ebay you can buy a whole new lukey 2.5" single system for $170 so i guess im trying to figure out wich is the better way to go. and cheaper haha

EF XR6, Red in colour, T5 with short shift, tired LSD, Pioneer head unit, 2.5 exhaust with staino pacemakers, 68mm TB, dumped on ultras, sitting on FTR's with EL bodykits

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

I got one of those Lukey $170 jobs for my Ef Fairmont and with a stock cat and headers it produces a really nice deep note. If your after a replacement for the redback, value for money the Lukey wins hands down.

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

79raven wrote:
I got one of those Lukey $170 jobs for my Ef Fairmont and with a stock cat and headers it produces a really nice deep note. If your after a replacement for the redback, value for money the Lukey wins hands down.

thanks mate. i was sort of leaning to that way. but will it fit onto an aftermarket cat?

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

You won't really get more "popping" if you don't have it already; it is usually caused my unburnt fuel/air mixture burning once it gets past the exhaust value (i.e. big duration cams on decelleration, or your car running rich on decelleration). I wouldn't take out the resonator as I don't think it will make it much louder but could make it droney.

Get a hooker aerochamber ($130?) and get it welded into your current exhaust instead of the Redback muffler. They are pretty loud but have a good note. I love my exhaust note but I think it would drone if it was auto...

By the way, any off the shelf system should come pretty close to bolting up to where the cat is...I took the headers/cat off my EL when I sold it and it bolted straight up to the stock catback in my AU :lol:

This is the note of mine when I first had it done, sounds a lot better now (and without a s**t nokia microphone)

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Awesome. sounds mad. thanks for the help. but i think deleting the resinator will mostly increase power. not by much but still. and im pretty sure having 1 muffler still will keep it from droning if i delete the resinator

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Sorry for the late reply, every time I tried to get onto fordmods it kept coming up with some virus crap. The Lukey bolted straight onto the cat and took a matter of an hour at most to be all done. Has one centre muffler thats an offset style and is so much lighter than stock ones. Correct me if I am wrong, but is a hotdog the same as a resinator?

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Does it bolt onto an after market cat? and yes a hotdog is the same as a resinator.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

that question depends on the aftermarket cat? If the cat you have bolts onto a shelf redback, then yes it will. I dont know of aftermarket cats for certain cars having different mounts, I would have thought say an Ef/EL aftermarket cat would be designed to replace a stock one, so the bolt holes would all be the same, but honestly I am no exhaust expert. I also have been told that a stock cat compared to an aftermarket one has that small a difference in gains that spending money on a fancy high flow cat is money wasted, but once again I am no expert and thats what I have been told. I have a stock cat and the Lukey bolted up easily to the stock flange.
Sorry about the res/ hotdog question, names change on parts more times than I change my undies ( yep they stink). What size hotdog are you running? I would think a hotdog would give you the bark and pop you needed. The lukey has more of a deep throat sound that I can tell you. Gets alot of looks and smiles with just the cat back, when the headers go on I hope it doesnt change the sound too much

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Isn't a hotdog similar or the same to a glasspack/cherry bomb?

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

I got a supercat 2.5" from tuff car parts sounds great and has a nice rumble when taking off

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

79raven wrote:
that question depends on the aftermarket cat? If the cat you have bolts onto a shelf redback, then yes it will. I dont know of aftermarket cats for certain cars having different mounts, I would have thought say an Ef/EL aftermarket cat would be designed to replace a stock one, so the bolt holes would all be the same, but honestly I am no exhaust expert. I also have been told that a stock cat compared to an aftermarket one has that small a difference in gains that spending money on a fancy high flow cat is money wasted, but once again I am no expert and thats what I have been told. I have a stock cat and the Lukey bolted up easily to the stock flange.
Sorry about the res/ hotdog question, names change on parts more times than I change my undies ( yep they stink). What size hotdog are you running? I would think a hotdog would give you the bark and pop you needed. The lukey has more of a deep throat sound that I can tell you. Gets alot of looks and smiles with just the cat back, when the headers go on I hope it doesnt change the sound too much

im not to sure of the size of my hotdog. i just know that its on a 2.5" redback sports system. im assuming its the most common size whatever that may be. and with pacemakers and this system it doesnt seem to get any pop or bark at all. i think if I delete the hotdog it may be what im after? or just getting one of those lukey single systems off ebay, every one seems to give it the thumbs up.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]