New intake 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: New intake
Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Hi all, after having massive issues with my LPG not too long ago, i finally did something about it and fixed the intake so it was damage free but at the same time released the presure incase it backfired again.

It did increase response and the flow of everything, there was a couple of other things i was going to do to fix it but im waiting for the Ford factory part to pack it first (the bit at the throttle body).

Im also going to add a pod filter and fit it so its near the brake duct etc.. shouldnt be too hard and will increase the amount of air coming in even more.

As i think the car is still running rich.

Heres what it looks likehttp://www.fordmods.com/forums/gallery.php?pageid=3&image=y&picref=7937&m=0

I made it myself and it was cheap!! Total cost of $25 :) A bit of mandrel bent piping and some HPC blank paint and clamps. Thats about it. Looks good i reckon.

Any input on this will be appreciated :)

Cheers

Andrew

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Nice work, let us know how the intake pipe runs on gas and efficiency wise. Also, exactly wat did u do to release the pressure so that backfires dont cause other damagelike it did to my air duct? Thanx

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Well as far as running on LPG with the new intake its perfect the throttle response is sooo much better and the car actully has some guts now!

Idles fine and crusies fine which is exactly what i wanted, my system still needs fine tuning but other than a few flats spots here and thier the car has not backfired since i have done this mod.

To stop the backfiring i made sure thier were no air leaks in the intake but at the section where one of the bends is connected thier is a release hole and wetsuit material covering it.

This allows the air to flow properly but at the same time if the car has to back fire the presure can be released thru the hole. and because of the material of the wetsuit it seals perfectly but will give enough if it has to let air out. :)

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 AU Fairmont

WA, Australia

nice work bro, how did u go about making and bending it, i want one aswell, as my idle gets a little rough at some points, its rare but happens when im on a slope or brake suddenly, i figure its just fuel sloshin around in the fuel tank but im not entirely sure.

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Tidy work andrew!

You looking for that rubber elbow piece that goes between the intake plumbing and the throttle body???

Got one at my place i reckon, all yours if you still need one.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

If you want a bit of added protection, go to Ford and buy some spring loaded airbox clips, very inexpensive and if it backfires it allows the lid to lift.

There is another mod you can do (This is done mainly for LPG), there is a small plate that goes between ISC and throttle body, basically you plug the PCV hose to it and keeps the vacuum central instead of dragging from one side of the manifold.
All you do is plug the pipe on the intake manifold where the PCV was plugged onto.
This is done for better quality idle on LPG.

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Razor7107 wrote:
nice work bro, how did u go about making and bending it, i want one aswell, as my idle gets a little rough at some points, its rare but happens when im on a slope or brake suddenly, i figure its just fuel sloshin around in the fuel tank but im not entirely sure.
if you have neons bro that will make it idle rough bro...

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Walker wrote:
If you want a bit of added protection, go to Ford and buy some spring loaded airbox clips, very inexpensive and if it backfires it allows the lid to lift.

Ah! Are they genuine ford items lol? I've been meaning to geet off my a*** and go around to wreckers and gas joints to get one! but so easy to pop into ford spare parts on the way to uni one day! :-)

Why fitting a pod filter? You relisee if it backfiress it'll be stuffed right? Just put a tube through the bottom of your air box to the brake duct, any dirt can then just be filtered through your pannel filter.

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yes the clips are genuine Ford items.
I had them on my EF, i have to go and get some for the Lane this week.

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Tidy work andrew!

You looking for that rubber elbow piece that goes between the intake plumbing and the throttle body???

Got one at my place i reckon, all yours if you still need one.

Yeah im planning on getting rid of mine and putting in a madrel bent piece insted. I think it cost something like $120 painted? But yeah cheers for the offer mate.

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Razor7107 wrote:

The piping i used was half a 180 degree bend from and exhaust shop and i got them to cut it even more, then it took alot of manuvering to get it to sit in the right spot.

Alot of annoying work but worked out in the end. Thats basically it.

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Walker wrote:
There is another mod you can do (This is done mainly for LPG), there is a small plate that goes between ISC and throttle body, basically you plug the PCV hose to it and keeps the vacuum central instead of dragging from one side of the manifold.
All you do is plug the pipe on the intake manifold where the PCV was plugged onto.
This is done for better quality idle on LPG.

Can you provide a bit more info on this im sorry i dont understand what u mean as i have lpg and the idle could be better

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Basically your PCV valve vacuum picks up from the bottom half of your intake manifold, this small plate by passes it to the top of the throttle body under the idle speed controller and lets it draw vacuum in a central position from the top.

Sorry i don't have a pic of one and XRFAN doesn't have one on his, i'm sure someone will upload a pic for you.

You'll be able to get one from any LPG installer.

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

see link for a shot of the re routed pipes, not close enough to show the plate but its there and gives an idea as to what is required.
one pipe is from the PCV and the other i don't know where from but both of them join at an F-piece on the BBM under the tb, this plate moves them up inbetween the ICS and tb, with a plug installed on the inlet on BBM.
http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales ... tal_rec=13

why do u write in here.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]