Page 2 of 6 [ 80 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: Next upgrade?
Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:31 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

1) Steam/chemical cleaned block. - Yes

2) Cryogenic treated standard crank/rods. - Waste of money, do it if you want but for 150RwKw it is not needed.

3) New pistons/piston rings. - Pistons not necessay unless you bore the block. Pistons are not going to hurt but again not really needed.

4) Au injectors (at least) or Bosch 36lb units. - AU injectors will be fine for 150RwKw, 36lb will a bit of an overkill. If you really want to use larger injectors, use BA 29lb units.

5) 300kpa fuel reg.- Yes, use an AU fuel rail as the 300kpa reg is still available from FORD, or it was untill recently. You could also use the BA Fuel rail.

6) Walbro 255l/hr fuel pump. - If you really want to. Standard Pump will handle 150RwKw without a problem.

7) Ticky head+wade cam or cms stage 3 cam+head. - Big difference between the Ticky combo and the Stage 3 setup. You may be pushing it with the Ticky setup but with the CMS Stage 3 you will get 150RwKw with no problem.[b]

8) Pacy 4480's. - [b]If you want, but most decent extractors will do the job you want for 150RwKw

9) Oil cooler+ remote filter kit. - Not a "have to" but is a good idea, makes it easier to get to the filter. Used such set up on my new engine.

10) J3 chip. - Will be a big help with the CMS Stage 3 to get it to idle nice, also will be able to rescale for the injectors.

11) 3" piping tb to airbox with pod inside. - Yes to the intake, Pod is s**t as it has been proven that the factory/Ryco style panel filter will out flow the Pod. Use an EF Box or upgrade to a BA airbox. EF Intake will flow as good as if not better that the 3" pipe and you will possibly get clearance issues with the 3" pipe. BA or Territory pipe work is a good upgrade.

12) New dizzy, probably msd. - Yes to the Dizzy, if using aftermarket, ensure that you swap the Gears over to match your auxillary gear. NO to the MSD, stay away from them.

13) New spark leads. - Yes

14) New h.v. oil pump. - Not needed, factory pump is fine, if you HAVE to replace the pump then certainly check the pricing on a HV pump v a factory pump.

Grab an AU block if you can as they have a stronger bottom end.
What gearbox will you be using?

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:

7) Ticky head+wade cam or cms stage 3 cam+head. - Big difference between the Ticky combo and the Stage 3 setup. You may be pushing it with the Ticky setup but with the CMS Stage 3 you will get 150RwKw with no problem.[b]

150 will be pushing it with the 977b, i got 154rwkw with the 977b but i had to go with a tighter lobe separation and thats with a manual behind it. with the 112 lobe separation i'd expect to see around the 140 mark with an auto.

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: au sr

VIC, Australia

i'd say to get 150rwkw easiest,
tickford head or even standard but get it ported a bit and flowed,
decent set of extractors, with either 100cell or 200cell cat, the 2.5" with straight through mufflers,
upgraded spark plugs and leads,
cam wise the 977b is suffice for around 145-160ish, if you want lumpy i'd suggest a 1521a wade cam, but this will need a j3 chip and valve springs.
however, is the el a hybrid engine? (au engine?) i think jan 1998 and later el's had these.

RED AU SERIES 2 SR
XR8 INTERIOR, LED LIGHTS, XR8 CLUSTER
LOWERED, CUSTOM EXHAUST, GENIE COMP HEADERS, SRE CAM, BPR TUNED, MAGNAFLOW MUFFLER AND CAT, FRESH RESPRAY, LSD, XR6 TRANS, DRIVE SHAFT, port and polished POWER 183 RWKW

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

jksxr6 wrote:
cam wise the 977b is suffice for around 145-160ish,

thats depending on which lsa you get the 977b ground to. wade now do them at 114lsa which i dyno'd in at 134rwkw with stock head, my mate dyno'd one in at 141rwkw both manuals. ive had a 112lsa on the dyno with an auto and that pulled 137 but that was in 2nd gear. now i have the 110 lsa in mine and it tuned in at 154rwkw.

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

ranga83 wrote:
jksxr6 wrote:
cam wise the 977b is suffice for around 145-160ish,

thats depending on which lsa you get the 977b ground to. wade now do them at 114lsa which i dyno'd in at 134rwkw with stock head, my mate dyno'd one in at 141rwkw both manuals. ive had a 112lsa on the dyno with an auto and that pulled 137 but that was in 2nd gear. now i have the 110 lsa in mine and it tuned in at 154rwkw.

i think if he wants a decent lumpy idle, the 1521a would be best, but then your right about the LSA.
mate had 114 LSA with the work i mentioned and racked up 152.4 rwkw, then changed to 112 for 158. something rwkw. I'd say personally the 1521a, but i have a au engine and run a SRE cam thats 108 LSA with .518 lift, that's a very lumpy cam! might be able to get in a ef/l spec

RED AU SERIES 2 SR
LOWERED, CUSTOM EXHAUST, GENIE COMP HEADERS, SRE CAM, BPR TUNED, MAGNAFLOW MUFFLER AND CAT, FRESH RESPRAY, LSD, XR6 TRANS, DRIVE SHAFT, port and polished POWER 183 RWKW

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:15 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

Power: 12 rwkw

SA, Australia

It's an ed motor I've been told, auto. Both motor and trans will need a full rebuild, my uncle doesn't have a lot of mechanical sympathy. But they're free :) I plan on taking a year or so saving, buying and fitting parts. I was hoping I could sneak it in with the Ticky head as it would have been a quicker and cheaper option. So with the cms gear I should be able to expect a few more killerhoppers?

EL Mont- mods: 2.5" catback, clear indicator repeaters.

Planned mods: Boooooooooooooossssssssst :D

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

buckets4LTR wrote:
It's an ed motor I've been told, auto. Both motor and trans will need a full rebuild, my uncle doesn't have a lot of mechanical sympathy. But they're free :) I plan on taking a year or so saving, buying and fitting parts. I was hoping I could sneak it in with the Ticky head as it would have been a quicker and cheaper option. So with the cms gear I should be able to expect a few more killerhoppers?

honestly i'd find a good tickford head and port that, or even the standard one and port/polish and etc that. would be cheaper option and could get some decent numbers.
if you wanted over 160rwkw then i'd suggest a cms head.
i've got a worked tickford head (au though) and i've managed 183 using the xcal 3

RED AU SERIES 2 SR

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i may be wrong, but the cms stg 3 is bigger than the 1521a i think. swc will be able to confirm/deny that. plus head work, so yeah you'll get more out of the cms setup than a stock head (tickford or standard)
jksxr6 was your mates a manual? was the head touched?

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

ranga83 wrote:
jksxr6 was your mates a manual? was the head touched?

nah mate auto btr, though strengthened.
head work was only a backyard crappy job. but was standard head not a ticky

RED AU SERIES 2 SR

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

just re-read your post, are we talking about the 977b or 1521a in your mates?

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

ranga83 wrote:
just re-read your post, are we talking about the 977b or 1521a in your mates?

the 977b. but he did have full BPR custom tune using the sniper package.
we did upgrade the head to a SRE street/drag head with the 1521a which it has now and pulls around 175rwkw on the odd occasion.

RED AU SERIES 2 SR

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

tht was also without high stall, with it dropped a few kw

RED AU SERIES 2 SR

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

that's good rw figures, whats the sniper package like? i havent used it. so far i have 154rwkw with a 110 lsa and manual and ti j3, but i think i can squeeze a little bit more out of it

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:53 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

Power: 12 rwkw

SA, Australia

So the plan is:
Cms stage 3 package.
May need to bore the block so possible pistons+rings.
J3.
Pacies.
100 cell cat.
Already got the 2.5" catback.
300kpa fuel reg.
Au fuel rail + injectors.
Ba or territory intake.
Cold air feed to filterbox.
Oil cooler+filter relocation kit.
Got my eye on a big twin pass fan assisted trans cooler.
Swapping all my el ancillaries onto the motor when installing into my car, are the looms the same or gonna have to mod?
Beef up the trans.

EL Mont- mods: 2.5" catback, clear indicator repeaters.

Planned mods: Boooooooooooooossssssssst :D

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I have a ported AU XR6 head on mine with a big billet cam. Its making 200rwkw, with more in it. I had mine done at CVE performance. CMS seem to pull some nice numbers aswell.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 6  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next