Post subject: Re: Next upgrade?
Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

79raven wrote:
Well the explanation to scw's question would have been good. A tickford head ported and a cam aint ever going to produce 200rwkw. I'm not in Vic, but I have heard CVE dont live up to the hype and they dyno results are questionable. Prove me if Im wrong. Gezza, get a dyno at somewhere else other than cve and see what the results are.

Im sorry, i dont always jump on fordmods and keep tabs on every single thread... Its all listed in my sig. I did a 13.80 first time down the strip in a manual and only had 1 run. Yes it is a ported AU XR6 head with a big cam, it's been worked on by someone that knows what they are doing.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:55 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

I never claimed to be best in Vic, but thanks for the compliment :mrgreen:
I like stories, My kids write good fairy tales,perhaps you can read some of them.
79raven wrote:
mr. cve wrote:
79raven wrote:
Well the explanation to scw's question would have been good. A tickford head ported and a cam aint ever going to produce 200rwkw. I'm not in Vic, but I have heard CVE dont live up to the hype and they dyno results are questionable. Prove me if Im wrong. Gezza, get a dyno at somewhere else other than cve and see what the results are.

Fair comment.
Oh we also won Springnats N/A six 4 years in a row. plus many other dyno comps.
But hey dynos lie, which is a fair call, but the 12.8 @ 110 mph is hard to trick. Did it during the 28 deg afternoon at Heathcote and also at Calder, Cant fudge both racetracks.

Gez's first time racing his car went 13.7 or 13.8 ( sorry can't remember ) he learnt alot that day, and that was when it was making 184.
But yeah 79raven your right, What would CVE know.
Have a crack in getting into the LOW13's or better still join the 12 sec club, as we are lonely :lol:

If I wanted to I definitely wouldn't do it it almost 2 ton of car mate. Dont see the point. Id rather aim for the under 10 club personally, maybe when I stop paying for nappies and school fee's I just might grab myself another Lj.
I also didnt say " what would CVE know". What I said is I have heard your not completely up to the hype. Ive heard bad stories about your tunes for dyno sheets and a few unhappy customers.
Problem is mate, when your name is supposedly the best in Vic, you have to deliver every job. 100% job done for the $300 and the $30,000 bloke, not to mention tuning a car correctly and not just for big numbers on the dyno so it looks good.
Like I said, Ive heard stories thats all.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Six wrote:
He hasn't got just a MAJORLY worked head and Custom ( CVE's proven design! )Billet Cam, he has 3" Exhaust, Wolf V500, ported inlet manifold etc etc.

The head, cam, ported inlet manifold, J3 tune made 186rwkw, 3" and Wolf V500 has nearly got Gezza over the 200rwkw mark!

And how do you claim that the head is not worked. Do you know what work is done to the CMS heads. As for a proven design, CMS has done their own development work on their cams, yes they are regrinds but if asked and you are willing to pay the money, I am sure Joe will knock you out one from a billet.

My work was based on what my set up would be and the power that I targeted. It made no sense to me to go to the stage 4 setup head as it would be overkill for what I was doing. I used a stage 2a cam as it comes in earlier and if you are using a PD Supercharger, it is a waste if the power comes on at 3000rpm, also why I am using a stock stally, no need for higher stall as I have power and torque at 1500rpm. That is my setup for me, it works for me and doesn't mean that someone elses setup is any less.

Having seen what is needed to get to the magic "200" with a SOHC NA, it will always raise question when people claim these numbers. I have asked what is done to this motor to achieve these numbers, a fair and honest question.

Dyno numbers are only an indicator and can vary greatly from Dyno to Dyno, Brand to Brand and operator to operator. If you quote RwKw, also quote your Nm at the wheels as well. You can have great RwKw but without the torque is is meaningless.

1/4 mile is the true indicator of whether the power is real or not. Dynos are great tuning tools and are for braggong rights, nothing else.

I do know for a fact that any numbers I pull on the Mainline Dyno at CMS, my motor will have to work for it, Joe's Dyno is a bit harsh on giving away free RwKw. I have seen a car come from Rigoli's to CMS (Dyno Dynamics v Mainline) and the reading were within a few Kw of each other. 2 top tuners.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:48 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

Power: 12 rwkw

SA, Australia

I have heard mainline dynos are hard to fudge figures on.

EL Mont- mods: 2.5" catback, clear indicator repeaters.

Planned mods: Boooooooooooooossssssssst :D

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: 1997 EL XR6

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
Six wrote:
He hasn't got just a MAJORLY worked head and Custom ( CVE's proven design! )Billet Cam, he has 3" Exhaust, Wolf V500, ported inlet manifold etc etc.

The head, cam, ported inlet manifold, J3 tune made 186rwkw, 3" and Wolf V500 has nearly got Gezza over the 200rwkw mark!

And how do you claim that the head is not worked. Do you know what work is done to the CMS heads. As for a proven design, CMS has done their own development work on their cams, yes they are regrinds but if asked and you are willing to pay the money, I am sure Joe will knock you out one from a billet.

My work was based on what my set up would be and the power that I targeted. It made no sense to me to go to the stage 4 setup head as it would be overkill for what I was doing. I used a stage 2a cam as it comes in earlier and if you are using a PD Supercharger, it is a waste if the power comes on at 3000rpm, also why I am using a stock stally, no need for higher stall as I have power and torque at 1500rpm. That is my setup for me, it works for me and doesn't mean that someone elses setup is any less.

Having seen what is needed to get to the magic "200" with a SOHC NA, it will always raise question when people claim these numbers. I have asked what is done to this motor to achieve these numbers, a fair and honest question.

Dyno numbers are only an indicator and can vary greatly from Dyno to Dyno, Brand to Brand and operator to operator. If you quote RwKw, also quote your Nm at the wheels as well. You can have great RwKw but without the torque is is meaningless.

1/4 mile is the true indicator of whether the power is real or not. Dynos are great tuning tools and are for braggong rights, nothing else.

I do know for a fact that any numbers I pull on the Mainline Dyno at CMS, my motor will have to work for it, Joe's Dyno is a bit harsh on giving away free RwKw. I have seen a car come from Rigoli's to CMS (Dyno Dynamics v Mainline) and the reading were within a few Kw of each other. 2 top tuners.

I didn't say anything against your build SWC?

MGW Short Throw Shifter, CVE Cam, CVE Head, SS Big Mouth Air Intake, Pacemaker Headers, 3" Exhaust, 3" Varex, 3" Cat, 19" Silver Agents, EMS Stinger 4424, 42lb Injectors and Walbro 255lb Fuel Pump

Next: Pacemaker Comps, 6 Individual Throttle Bodies, ICE Coil and ignition

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Six wrote:

No you didn't say anything against my build and I was not offended in any way by what you said. What I stated was not meant to be taken that way.

You did say that the head wasn't major work or the cam custom, that is what I am commenting on.

Custom work varies from Builder to Builder, example being that JMM stage 5 cam wasn't even up to the same standard as CMS's original stage 2. What one builder claims as "MAJOR" work doesn't even rank on the lower scale to another builders work. I do not know CVE's work or what their MAJOR headwork entails, therfore I will not comment or compare his work to others. I do know CMS's work and the quality of goods and workmanship that they supply, therefore I will support them at all times. They have runs on the board with the E series from years ago and now produce great numbers from the Barra, both NA and Turbo.

You believe CVE's work is good and you stand by him, that is good and I hope that if his workmanship is as good as you say, that his following and reputation grows.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:19 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
Six wrote:

You believe CVE's work is good and you stand by him, that is good and I hope that if his workmanship is as good as you say, that his following and reputation grows.

They only say that cause the cars are the fastest N/A single cam sixes around.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

mr. cve wrote:
SWC wrote:
Six wrote:

Only the fastest due to the quality of workmanship

MGW Short Throw Shifter, CVE Cam, CVE Head, SS Big Mouth Air Intake, Pacemaker Headers, 3" Exhaust, 3" Varex, 3" Cat, 19" Silver Agents, EMS Stinger 4424, 42lb Injectors and Walbro 255lb Fuel Pump

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
Six wrote:

No you didn't say anything against my build and I was not offended in any way by what you said. What I stated was not meant to be taken that way.

You did say that the head wasn't major work or the cam custom, that is what I am commenting on.

Custom work varies from Builder to Builder, example being that JMM stage 5 cam wasn't even up to the same standard as CMS's original stage 2. What one builder claims as "MAJOR" work doesn't even rank on the lower scale to another builders work. I do not know CVE's work or what their MAJOR headwork entails, therfore I will not comment or compare his work to others. I do know CMS's work and the quality of goods and workmanship that they supply, therefore I will support them at all times. They have runs on the board with the E series from years ago and now produce great numbers from the Barra, both NA and Turbo.

I ment the head has been worked majorly and has a custom cam to suit, but wasn't the only work done to get Gez to 199rwkw.

Your spot on though, the real proof of quality is in the 1/4 mile times. I do know CMS have invested a considerable amount of time into the development of their parts and they do show good results as a result!

I just don't think 79Raven really did enough research into CVE before commenting on their quality.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:32 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

Power: 12 rwkw

SA, Australia

Six wrote:
mr. cve wrote:
SWC wrote:
Six wrote:

High power + reliability = quality workmanship?

EL Mont- mods: 2.5" catback, clear indicator repeaters.

Planned mods: Boooooooooooooossssssssst :D

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

buckets4LTR wrote:
Six wrote:
mr. cve wrote:
SWC wrote:
Six wrote:

High power + reliability = quality workmanship?

High Power & Reliability usually does mean quality workmanship.

Performance, Reliability and Cheap - you can have 2 but not all 3 :D

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:

High Power & Reliability usually does mean quality workmanship.

Performance, Reliability and Cheap - you can have 2 but not all 3 :D

Couldn't agree more :)

This thread went way of topic lol

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

"I just had a dyno tune with my Full 3" system with a Varex muffler at the rear, that CVE Performance made and fitted up for me.

Open: 198.9rwkw
Closed: 138.0rwkw

Closed there is a big restriction obviously, but when open there was no power loss what so ever compared to my previous straight through muffler. It actually picked up power, but that may be because of the new injectors I had installed."

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:07 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

79raven wrote:
"I just had a dyno tune with my Full 3" system with a Varex muffler at the rear, that CVE Performance made and fitted up for me.

Closed there is a big restriction obviously, but when open there was no power loss what so ever compared to my previous straight through muffler. It actually picked up power, but that may be because of the new injectors I had installed."

and ?

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

79raven wrote:

Im not sure what I have done to piss you off. There are alot of people interested in these Varex mufflers and there hasn't been much testing on falcons at all...

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 6  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next