Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: NF/NL or EF/EL Ghia parts into EF GLi
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: '05 5.4L BA MK2 XT

NSW, Australia

Hey guys, long time no post...
Just a quick question regarding whole goodie installs, Basically I have my old EL Fairmont with its fairly neat interior, and I have just bought an EF GLi with 105,000 K's on the clock.

I need to know how hard its going to be to swap all the fairmont goodies into the GLi, Cause I want to keep stuff like, the air-con bits, the Fairmont dash (Or possibly upgrade to an NL dash).
Obviously with such low K's I would want to keep the dash on par with the original, IS there any way to edit the kilometers shown on a dash to match a new one thats being replaced, I would imagine that there is a way FORD can do it, some special tool, and I also realise that this information could be used in the wrong way so its not going to be easily available.
But for what its worth, I really want to knock out all the dodgy stock GLi gear in place of my favourite Fairmont interior, or perhaps a Ghia...

Most of the gear will fit straight across, just wondering about that dash conversion really, its one of the only bits im scratching my head over.
(I have an entire EL Fairmont sitting around for spare parts, wiring looms, dash, doors, trims, power steering/windows, the lot)

Also on another minor query, Is there any PHYSICAL difference between a GLi/Fairmont/Ghia/Fairlane bootlid?
Im certain I can stick the Fairmont boot straight onto the GLi, but I'd rather go for something a little more classy like a Fairlane rear end, I'd buy it as a whole boot with garnish and replacement tail lights.
No problem to fit onto the back end of the GLi?

Thanks for the help,
Kind Regards.

Post subject: Re: NF/NL or EF/EL Ghia parts into EF GLi
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FGX G6ET

NSW, Australia

The odometer reading can be swapped but it requires some soldering knowledge and equipment. Somewhere like a TV repair shop might do it for a small fee. See the section near the bottom of THIS tech doc.

I would have thought the fairlane boot is different to the GLi/Fairmont/Ghia one, but not really sure.

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Ghia

VIC, Australia

Fairmont/ghia boots will bolt straight on, Fairlane is different shape so not sure if it's a straight swap.

||||

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

The whole interior should swap straight in with the correct looms, but I'm not sure if an EL body loom will match up to an EF Engine Bay loom...

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Im probably also going to be needing to swap the cars computer across aswell, from memory Im pretty certain its a straight swap again on those, the only difference being some sensor wires for oil pressure/battery voltage/intake temp/whatever else for the trip computer, and also the power steering bits...

Im going to be attempting the first part of the interior swap this weekend, beginning on the power window install.
I do have some experience in soldering, I used to do all my own stereo installs, and will do again I think, so I will have a look at doing it myself into a Fairlane cluster, I would have thought there was a way to take the memory out and insert it into another cluster :)

Oh yes, Im going to swap the entire dash out, just to get rid of that awful blue GLi badge on the passenger side :p

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EF Gli

VIC, Australia

Does the gli have ABS? Pretty nice finding one with that many k's.

AsIzZy

My Build Thread:
post994940.html#p994940

For Sale Thread 1
forums/viewtopic.php?t=70845&highlight=

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yes, you can swap the eeprom on the clusters im pretty sure.

AsIzZy

My Build Thread:
post994940.html#p994940

For Sale Thread 1

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

asizzy wrote:
Yes, you can swap the eeprom on the clusters im pretty sure.

You mean like how I explained in post #2 :roll:

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:01 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Territory TS TDCi

VIC, Australia

i know for shore if the GLi doesn't have cruise that loom that goes from the engine bay and across behind the dash (ABS/cruise) loom wont work from the EL. the plugs on the drivers side will line up but theres 1 plug on the passenger side thats different.

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Somehow i didn't see your post............ Old Age.

AsIzZy

My Build Thread:
post994940.html#p994940

For Sale Thread 1

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

magna wrote:
i know for shore if the GLi doesn't have cruise that loom that goes from the engine bay and across behind the dash (ABS/cruise) loom wont work from the EL. the plugs on the drivers side will line up but theres 1 plug on the passenger side thats different.

AAARGH!!!
That's what I didnt want to hear lol...
What does this extra plug do?
Where does it go?

Sure I cant get around this by importing the entire interior from the Fairmont?
So all the matching bits and pieces to match the other end of that plug, If I have to I'll rip the entire dash out and replace whatevers on the other end of that cable...
The cruise control I always figured would be difficult to line up in the GLi, but as long as I do the exact reverse of the installation I should be OK, with any luck I will get all the bits I need. (Because I dont actually know which parts are required for cruise control, except for the obvious bits, Cruise control buttons for steering wheel, throttle pull cable, cruise control computer (mounted infront of brake booster) and all assorted cables attached to...
(Also I think I need the ECU from the Fairy to work it)

Is there anything else I may be over looking that you guys can think of where I may be heading face first into trouble here?
Just little things, power window conversion..?
The trim where the power window buttons sit looks like a different shape to an EL Fairmont shroud, also the radio surround looks to be a different shape, extends a little lower and is enclosed in a pop out plastic cover...

EDIT: Should I use the windows from the fairmont, or should I keep the original glass in there for the power window conversion?
Not entirely sure, but Need to figure it out before the windows get tinted :P

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

As for ABS Brakes thats a damn good point, I never even looked I just assumed it had them...
Hows the best way to tell?
I had the ABS fixed in the Fairmont before it ran out of rego so, It should be easy enough to swap them straight across aswell, as long as I take the ECU from the fairy, right?
Im not sure where or what the ABS system entails, but If its missing from the GLi, its going to be upgraded from the fairy...

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ace wrote:
As for ABS Brakes thats a damn good point, I never even looked I just assumed it had them...
Hows the best way to tell?
I had the ABS fixed in the Fairmont before it ran out of rego so, It should be easy enough to swap them straight across aswell, as long as I take the ECU from the fairy, right?
Im not sure where or what the ABS system entails, but If its missing from the GLi, its going to be upgraded from the fairy...

Pull a wheel off and look on the inside of the wheel for the disk with lots of slits in it. This means it has ABS.

Or check the box in the passenger side wheel arch...look for 3 lines going into it ( thats from memory)...I think thats the 3 abs channels...2 channels for the front wheels and one for the back.

Or just drive it and slam on the brakes...easier on loose ground...if you feel the pedal vibrate, you have abs!

I reckon moving the abs from the Fairy to the GLi would be a royal pain in the a***....

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:52 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Territory TS TDCi

VIC, Australia

Ace wrote:
magna wrote:

AAARGH!!!
That's what I didnt want to hear lol...
What does this extra plug do?
Where does it go?

Sure I cant get around this by importing the entire interior from the Fairmont?

i think it connects to the engine/ecu loom and cause the EL uses a different ECU to the EF i don't think it will work. the plug looks identical but the number of pins is different so it wont plug in. i found out when doing a few dual airbag/cruise conversions we were running out of EFII looms with cruise so we tried an EL loom and found it didn't fit.

apparently the EL has thicker glass than the EL but it would be easier just to leave the glass in the EF and swap over the regs/wiring.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]