no vct on vct 

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: no vct on vct
Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:08 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU VCT,68 LANE,84 COURIER,

QLD, Australia

HI...... anybody disconected there VCT on there XR6.... i mean just the plug not the whole thing.. if so what did you think...

Quote:
you can live in a car but you cant drive a house

YOU CAN LIVE IN A CAR BUT YOU CANT DRIVE A HOUSE

Post subject: Re: no vct on vct
Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

????
are you serious???
why would you??? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Well if the ecu didn't detect a fault and the car ran, you would a)notice a loss of power somewhere in the rev range depending upon where the cam was statically locked in place (up high I am guessing) and b) the tune would be out, causing further loss in power/driveability.

If you are serious though, feel free to bring your car around to mine and I'll get ya an engine/ecu combo in there without VCT free of charge :lol:

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:42 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

asking because i did it..... just feels like normal ford 6 with cam... a bit less responsive down low but the same at top end.... just thought someone else might have tried..... (got rid of small bump in rev range though)

Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

so has it still got the stock cam or did you change the cam?

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:16 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

stock cam....but had the cam off when the head was ported.... maybe its out of time a little had the vct off as well..... kinda why i was asking thought it would do more....the cam feels more towy with the vct off but is less responsive.... maybe ford made the cams like that and used the vct to help it stay responsive down low? who knows they got a few killer wasps from some place !same comp,lame ports smaller than stock au heaps smaller than hybrid head same fuel system same air intake the only difference is the cam and computer.....

Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

well your cam timing is probably set in a position to suit higher revs (from lack of responsiveness)....I find it hard to believe that it is performing better than VCT unless you have altered the timing during the work you have done and its sitting outside the limits of normal VCT operation, in which case you would probably be noticing quite a hole at the opposite end of the spectrum.

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:04 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

i didnt say it was better.....its just not a huge difference,my thought is that the vct doesnt do that much... not on mine any way.... i do have a pro sequential on it so maybe your right the timing is a little advanced

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: egas bf xt

NSW, Australia

My understanding of the AU VCT is that it is only active below 3000rpm.

I can see through wooden doors.

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:05 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

i can confirm that its just like a 4.0 ohc with a big cam its sluggish till the cam cuts in....so the vct would just advance the timing a little down low so it picks up a little...so if you had an auto with a stall vct would do stuff all... so a vct motor in an early model would be a waste of time...the vct really does stuff all good on a stock car but once modded its really not needed....

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Autofast2 wrote:
i can confirm that its just like a 4.0 ohc with a big cam its sluggish till the cam cuts in....so the vct would just advance the timing a little down low so it picks up a little...so if you had an auto with a stall vct would do stuff all... so a vct motor in an early model would be a waste of time...the vct really does stuff all good on a stock car but once modded its really not needed....

seeing as you are modifying the engine you should lookinto modifying the VCT so you can control where and it advances/retards timing. I think I remember reading somewhere that the points at which it alters timing are 1800rpm and 3000rpm. I'm not sure whether you could alter these points, but I know you can get a VCT engine to operate as per stock without a VCT ecu with some fancy wiring.

I can guarantee if you got it to work as I am explaining it would out perform a car with static cam timing on a modified engine.

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

haha, this thread is evil, its giving me ideas (when I get those my bank account inevitably dwindles).

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

VCT cuts in at 3200 and above. it changes the cam timing by 20º. Most of the cam guys I have spoken to say there is not a good cam for the VCT's. Crow did approx 6 and none worked. From other sources I have learnt you need to do an edit to change the point at where the VCT cuts in to make the most of a after market cam.

autofast2 wrote:
the vct really does stuff all good on a stock car

Then explain why the stock AU engine has 157kw, the HP 164kw and the VCT 172kw

15kw doesnt sound like stuff all.

Also the VCT has a factory vernier gear on it, you can gain some little bits of power up or down depending on which way you move it :)

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:23 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

thats my next move i am going to finish a few mods and then take off the rocker cover and play with that cam gear i have had the head ported and it really moved the rev range some times i hit the limiter just cause it doesnt slow down up top now.... would have to reset the ecu every time?and maybe get the tsi tuned for some added benifits?.... you could also do some of that fancy wiring and set it up so you could operate the vct electronically ?

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:17 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

ive just put an au vct engine into my ed and without power to the vct unit it has good top end power but yes a bit sluggish down low..
so what i have done is connected the vct unit to a jaycar rpm switch so the vct unit it powered up untill 3000rpm.
which gives it good down low torque. and when the rpm gets to 3000 the rpm switch cuts power to the vct unit giving it its top end power.. :D

now ive got the down low pull and the top end power.... :D
so if you want to get the most out of your engine i would keep it conected...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next