Fordmods Logo

Noisy/ Bad Ticking Noise On Start up 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Noisy/ Bad Ticking Noise On Start up
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:39 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 410 Cube FE LTD

ACT, Australia

hey guys im just wandering what i can do to solve my problem. every time i start my ea, it has a very noisy ticking sound from the front of the engine and goes away after a little while of running (does it everytime, hot, cold etc) when i bought the car it didnt do it and i have only put about 1000 ks on it since, the engines only done 130,000. when i changed the oil and filters etc, thats when the noise started?
could someone give me some advice on rectifying this problem please!!!

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Possibly the lifters. Did you switch to a thinner oil when you did the change?

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA GT

WA, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Possibly the lifters. Did you switch to a thinner oil when you did the change?

sounds like it ;)

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:02 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

like martin said sounds liek the lifters are takign a while to pump up

next oil change get a thicker oil

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Arent your timing chain tensioners also regulated by oil pressure? Do these make noise if not working properly?

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:05 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Arent your timing chain tensioners also regulated by oil pressure? Do these make noise if not working properly?

dont think they are in an EA

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
4.9 EF Futura wrote:

dont think they are in an EA

YEP same as latter models....

In cold conditions heavier visc oil can actually take longer for oil to get there and pump up lifters...You can get shims to adjust this out...Could also be timing chain slack or warn chain guides??? If the tap lasts for only 10 - 20 seconds I wouldn't worry about it...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Post subject: cam install
Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: Falcon EBII

SA, Australia

Hey guys ive got a similar engine ticking problem after installing a wade 1004-112 regrind

Got installed last week, wade Cam, 1.9mm lash adjusters, rocket cover, stem seals, new lifter seals and Tickford ECU, at my local mechanic

but.. I seem to be having trouble, one or two of my lifters is sticking and ive had a few stalls (problably because the idle hasnt been tuned yet i hope) I have noticed that the tappets are still noisey and ive tryed a special lifter cleaning liquid that my machanic suggested, ive run the car like a granny (2000rpm limit) because im not sure if im doing futher damage. i had driven the car for approx 3hrs (200k in 45-60min trips) to run in the cam and teach ecu and ive only given it a mild boot after 180k to test the kick down (woowheheh)

I still seem to have a loud ticking engine noise at start up even after 1 and half weeks so im starting to think my mechanic stuffed sumthing up with the lifter seals or didnt install lash adjusters correctly, and ive got a terrible feeling they didnt change the oil at this time, but im no mechanic

any help??? cheers TwstdEB

EBII 4.0L GLi|XR interiors/dash|Auto|Wade 1004-12|3.45 LSD|Tickford ECU|XH Snorkel/Green Cotton filter|EA TB Intake|PH4488|RB 2.5" Zorst|DoofDoof|Gauges|Tint|KS Lows|PDW RIMs 18"|JMM Spark/leads|144+ rwkw|15.88@88.39mph|EF Mirrors|ED XR6 Spoilers F/R|EF-EL THERMOS|EF Alternator Mod|SEE PIC

Post subject: Re: cam install
Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Mondeo XR5T

Power: 173 rwkw

NSW, Australia

twstdeb wrote:
I still seem to have a loud ticking engine noise at start up even after 1 and half weeks so im starting to think my mechanic stuffed sumthing up with the lifter seals or didnt install lash adjusters correctly, and ive got a terrible feeling they didnt change the oil at this time, but im no mechanic

any help??? cheers TwstdEB

When you move to a bigger cam, lifters can be touch and go. You can have slight ticking or heavy ticking, or if your lucky, no ticking. It can be very annoying, but its safe, nothing is going to fall apart. I've changed my lifters over 3 times now to try and stop the noise, but its a losing battle.

Thicker oil perhaps? But it may not solve the ticking noise problem. Are they hydraulic or mechanical lifters?

Shugg

Post subject: Re: cam install
Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:28 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: Falcon EBII

SA, Australia

Shugg wrote:

When you move to a bigger cam, lifters can be touch and go. You can have slight ticking or heavy ticking, or if your lucky, no ticking. It can be very annoying, but its safe, nothing is going to fall apart. I've changed my lifters over 3 times now to try and stop the noise, but its a losing battle.

Thicker oil perhaps? But it may not solve the ticking noise problem. Are they hydraulic or mechanical lifters?

Shugg

Build date on the EB2 engine is July 1993 which i think has 11mm lifters, I've used 1.9mm hydraulic lash adjusters with the Wade 1004-112 re-grind so i guess its hydraulic

I have been driving around tonight and it was a little better "Ticking" was reduced after 10-15mins but not totally gone. the engine has only got 155k's and had head checked at 130k's

b4 the upgrade of the Cam, Lifter seals, stem seals last week i had not experienced this noise so i was freak'n

booked in wednesday, might get new lifters anyway while im replacing stuff.

*See images in gallery* after service... car running much better smoother everyday, thinner oil and lifter fluid has cleared everything up so fair, also got new leads and sparks from JMM in Melb.

cheers Twstdeb

EBII 4.0L GLi|XR interiors/dash|Auto|Wade 1004-12|3.45 LSD|Tickford ECU|XH Snorkel/Green Cotton filter|EA TB Intake|PH4488|RB 2.5" Zorst|DoofDoof|Gauges|Tint|KS Lows|PDW RIMs 18"|JMM Spark/leads|144+ rwkw|15.88@88.39mph|EF Mirrors|ED XR6 Spoilers F/R|EF-EL THERMOS|EF Alternator Mod|SEE PIC

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

I had this problem...i had it booked into ford but in between booking time and my appointment it kinda stopped...even before i put the lifter free stuff in... weird

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef fairmont

NSW, Australia

WITH THE NEW CAM DID YOU GET YOUR ROCKER PETASTOOLS MACHINED TO TAKE UP THE CLEARANCE ?

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:30 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

VIC, Australia

Ea lifters are notorious for doing that you can replace seals in them to quieten them down or buy new ones ~$320 for all 12 thats with employee discount.

Factory Specifications are Optional

1988 EA Fairmont Ghia Retired after 11yrs
1999 AU Fairmont Written off :(
2003 BA XR6 Written off :(
2001 AU Falcon - Run around
2005 SY Territory Ghia

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]