noisy bearings 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: noisy bearings
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB2

VIC, Australia

i know theres a sticky for oil but i just changed my oil 15-40 penrite and the oil pressure is low and the main bearings are noisy can i get some ideas on wot the right oil for this tired engine would be . worried its doing more damage need it to last as long as possible.

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XD

VIC, Australia

what did you have in there before? if you can hear bearing noise then its definetly not good. try some 10w60 or "old engine" oil. I remember in my XD i had to run thick oil in the summer or it would start getting a little low on the pressure :O but it still went hard hehe :evil:

1997EL 5spd
mods: 2.5" redback catback, DBA slotted rotors, Pacemaker 4480's, Tint, K&N pod, 17" rims

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

You could also try Penrite 60W. It takes a bit more time to use than the lighter oils if the oil rings aren't sealing. I've used it in a worn out Hemi engine. It gets a bit hard to crank over if you leave the car outside in winter when the temperature drops to zero & below.

Can you get another secondhand motor? Or, is the car about ready for the scrap heap?

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

was useing penrite hpr30 dosnt burn any oil well it is now with this oil and the oil pressure is really low its got a high volume oil pump about a year old and new bearings about the same age must be the crank thats stuffed.its 340k old engine still goes well .

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:47 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Custom Bedford, 79 Firebird

WA, Australia

fellas, for all your older engines thicker oils are only going to help to an extent, get some PROMA (MBL from memory) into it asap. It is an anti friction addative, but also coats all moving parts, rebuilding them to their previous shapes/conditions and fills in scoring of cylinders (to an extent anyway)

PROMA is good for all heavy equiuptment/machinery as well as normal engines. I put it into all older engines i service with noticeable results.

For newer cars I use microglide, but this wont help older engines in the same ways.

You should be able to find someone that can get you PROMA, it's not store stocked though. Worst case scenario send me a PM and we'll arrange to send some over to you.

Good Luck

Happy Motoring

Wrecking BA lots of parts available Pictures and prices here
3 Decks with stackers PRICE DROP

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:25 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

if it was ok before you changed the oil i would go back to the hpr 30 or even hpr 40..

that just tells you that you have clearence issues in your bottom end.
and using thicker will help.
but sooner or later your going to need a re-build.
i had the same issues with my old engine and i started using hpr 50..
and it came good but it only lasted another 12 months of hard driving before it did die..

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

think the crank is buggered put new bearings in about a year ago will get some thicker oil and see wot happens ,where would i go looking for that PROMA stuff worth a try .dont have money for a rebuild .

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]