Fordmods Logo

Noisy lifter(s) in my EF - What can I do? 

Page 2 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR6

WA, Australia

Don't know if using diesel is completely "safe". I did it in my old xf fairmont once, ran the engine for about 3 minutes. I don't think i'd b game enough to try it in my new car though. I would give that Lifter Free a go, sounds aight.

5spd Heritage Green EL XR6. Wheels by ROH. Stereo by Clarion. Exhaust by Pacemaker & Lukey. Suspension by Whiteline, Durashock and K-Mac.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR6

WA, Australia

bigbell351 wrote:
Kingkezza wrote:
You might get away with just the engine flush. However if this doesn't do it and you are serious about getting rid of the noise then you may have get new lifters (or lifter seals). I'm not sure how much the lifter seals cost but i know brand new lifters are about $25 a pop from repco or coventries, and you'll need 12 of them to do the job properly. DON'T get them from Ford, they quoted me $50 per lifter. What MacGyver said probably works better but a mechanic told me that you can run diesel through your engine, because apparently it does exactly the same thing as an engine flushing agent. I suppose so long as you don't run it for too long it shouldn't do too much damage. Anyway let us know what you decide to try and how you go as i think mine need doing soon!

that's not a bad price from ford for the lifters, i just rebuilt the top end of a festiva at work and for quoted $118 each for it lifters. ond the only stock 3 of them at a time.

That hurts man! I know where i'd be telling them to stick there $118 per lifter. Just out of curiosity you should give repco or coventries a ring and see what they quote.

5spd Heritage Green EL XR6. Wheels by ROH. Stereo by Clarion. Exhaust by Pacemaker & Lukey. Suspension by Whiteline, Durashock and K-Mac.

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: The DEVEL XR6

WA, Australia

mreb wrote:
i used that crap within 5 minutes one lifter completely s**t inself and it sounded like a diesel on 5 cylinders thats why i put in new lifters

Which crap are you referring to?

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.
QUARTER MILE PB: currently 14.590 @ 96.00 mph ...BOOST AHEAD!!

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Waggin wrote:
markr154 wrote:
What is this ATF ...and where do I get it, and how much?

Automatic Transmission Fluid.. TQ95, Dextron III, etc.

Whenever I get noisy lifters, I just pop the rocker cover off, pull out the lifters and give them a clean and replace the seals. Takes an hour or 2, can be done with basic tools and basic knowledge. New seals cost about $10 from coventry.

Sounds like a plan ...what do you clean 'em with?

I'll just try the Lifter Free for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

If noise is still there, then I may get my mechanic to look at cleaning or replacing the lifters & seals, or maybe do it myself.

Probably get a new rocker cover gasket at the same time, too.

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:43 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EBII XR6 /ED XR6 /EF XR6

Power: 154 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Kingkezza wrote:
bigbell351 wrote:
Kingkezza wrote:
You might get away with just the engine flush. However if this doesn't do it and you are serious about getting rid of the noise then you may have get new lifters (or lifter seals). I'm not sure how much the lifter seals cost but i know brand new lifters are about $25 a pop from repco or coventries, and you'll need 12 of them to do the job properly. DON'T get them from Ford, they quoted me $50 per lifter. What MacGyver said probably works better but a mechanic told me that you can run diesel through your engine, because apparently it does exactly the same thing as an engine flushing agent. I suppose so long as you don't run it for too long it shouldn't do too much damage. Anyway let us know what you decide to try and how you go as i think mine need doing soon!

that's not a bad price from ford for the lifters, i just rebuilt the top end of a festiva at work and for quoted $118 each for it lifters. ond the only stock 3 of them at a time.

That hurts man! I know where i'd be telling them to stick there $118 per lifter. Just out of curiosity you should give repco or coventries a ring and see what they quote.

yeh we got them through repco at about $22 each i think

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB2

VIC, Australia

the lifter free stuff from nulon sorry should have said that before the lifters failed within 5 minutes on putting it in

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 1999 AU futura

NSW, Australia

I'd suggest if you have noisey lifters,you should check your oil level..Or take the rocker cover off and check the lifter clearances (there is a special tool to be used when checking clearances) or best yet take the rocker train off,becareful not to drop any lifters.If any lifters fall out replace them.Make sure if you replace the lifters or drop them make sure you dont loose the little shim that sits inside the rocker arm where the lifters sits.

Hope that helps...

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Well guys, the Lifter Free seems to be doing the trick...

I've only driven my car twice since putting it in, and when I started up tonite, the tapping lasted less than 10 secs before dying off completely.

They say you have to drive the car 500km or over 2 weeks to get the full benefit, but I've seen a marked improvement already!

Fingers crossed...

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Gli

VIC, Australia

just change the lifter or lifters that r giving u trouble...just changed one in mine yesterday cost me $47 with new rocker gasket all up and it fairly easy

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

markr154 wrote:
Well guys, the Lifter Free seems to be doing the trick...

I've only driven my car twice since putting it in, and when I started up tonite, the tapping lasted less than 10 secs before dying off completely.

They say you have to drive the car 500km or over 2 weeks to get the full benefit, but I've seen a marked improvement already!

Fingers crossed...

Thanks for all the suggestions!

And I don't know if I'm imagining this ...but she seems to be running smoother too!

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:51 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

the lifter free stuff is also a mild detergent so it would be cleaning out the other crap in there too.. don't drive for too long without an oil change cause all this crap is going to your filter..

another good option to maintain quietness is a treatment of either slick 50 or Roil.. metal impregnators.

I have a car.

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB2

VIC, Australia

yeh it will be a bit smoother the lifter s are pumping up fully and opening the valves the way its should ,mine is smoother since i replaced them it is nice even quieter .it seems the hpr15 oil is the way to go for ford engines so might give that a go aswell using hpr 30 now

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

sounds like you need to stick the garden hose it the oil hole turn it on and hold it at 6000rpm for 5 minutes

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
the lifter free stuff is also a mild detergent so it would be cleaning out the other crap in there too.. don't drive for too long without an oil change cause all this crap is going to your filter..

another good option to maintain quietness is a treatment of either slick 50 or Roil.. metal impregnators.

Yeah, will be doing an oil & filter change next week.

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

fastleno wrote:
sounds like you need to stick the garden hose it the oil hole turn it on and hold it at 6000rpm for 5 minutes

Now I KNOW that's a joke!

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next