Fordmods Logo

Noisy lifter(s) in my EF - What can I do? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Noisy lifter(s) in my EF - What can I do?
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: The DEVEL XR6

WA, Australia

Hey all,

Just noticed I've developed a noisy lifter (or 2, not sure).

Well, I think it's a lifter, 'cos it rattles like hell when I first start the engine (particularly after not driving the car for a day or two), but it dies down after a little driving & the engine gets up to temp.

I spoke to a mechanic about this, and he suggested that I run an Engine Oil Flush thru' the motor for about 20 mins, then do an immediate oil change (& filter) with the proper 'thin' engine oil for Fords, as he said Fords use very thin oil ...is this true? Could the flush be worth a try?

What grade of oil will I need for my EF?

Any suggestions appreciated!!!!!

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.
QUARTER MILE PB: currently 14.590 @ 96.00 mph ...BOOST AHEAD!!

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Futura Wagon

QLD, Australia

I always put in about 500mls of ATF about 1000k's before an oil change. Then change oil with Penrite HPR15. No lifter noise.

The ATF is very good at cleaning out the engine. ATF is a very high detergency oil. Give it a try. When you open the oil cap is your engine nice and silvery down there or dark brown and 'Burnt' looking? After a treatment or two of the ATF your oil will stay cleaner for longer and you will start to get that nice clean silvery look again. Oh, and you wont have anymore lifter noise (unless they're stuffed).

cheers
Scott

If it doesn't fit, jam it. If that doesn't work use a hammer. - Engineers Motto

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR6

WA, Australia

You might get away with just the engine flush. However if this doesn't do it and you are serious about getting rid of the noise then you may have get new lifters (or lifter seals). I'm not sure how much the lifter seals cost but i know brand new lifters are about $25 a pop from repco or coventries, and you'll need 12 of them to do the job properly. DON'T get them from Ford, they quoted me $50 per lifter. What MacGyver said probably works better but a mechanic told me that you can run diesel through your engine, because apparently it does exactly the same thing as an engine flushing agent. I suppose so long as you don't run it for too long it shouldn't do too much damage. Anyway let us know what you decide to try and how you go as i think mine need doing soon!

5spd Heritage Green EL XR6. Wheels by ROH. Stereo by Clarion. Exhaust by Pacemaker & Lukey. Suspension by Whiteline, Durashock and K-Mac.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB2

VIC, Australia

is the penrite hpr 15 allright for older engines its still a 4lt just done over 300,000ks cause i put in new lifters and rockers but still ticks when cold when warm its lovely.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Futura Wagon

QLD, Australia

HPR 15 is still pretty thick. I think it's 15-50 (or is it 15-60). I would try it and then monitor your oil usage. If you lost say 2 litres over 10,000k's and had no oil leaks then I would step up to HPR-20.

The diesel trick works well also. On occasion with very dirty engines or stuck rings I drain all oil, fill with 6 litres of diesel and just crank the engine till the baterry runs down (don't start it, so disconnect coil). Drain diesel (you'll probably get an extra litre or so of crud out) and fill with cheap oil and filter. Run for a day or two and drain again and fill with good oil and filter.

This will get you a real clean engine very quick. I did this on a clevo that was throwing huge clouds of smoke. Didn't burn a drop afterwards.

cheers
Scott

If it doesn't fit, jam it. If that doesn't work use a hammer. - Engineers Motto

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 AU II Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

diesel is king!

mind you, i have only ever added 500mL to the existing oil, i never considered to fill it entirely with diesel! what a top idea... but make sure it doesnt start. diesel is not a lube!!

Organza 2000 AU 2 Fairmont Ghia
4.0 VCT
JMM Race Series Exhaust
AWC TS50 Front bar
3.45 LSD

Coming soon:
G&D Airbox
CAPA Edit

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

or how about using the right in the first place and changing it at the right time.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 AU II Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

pfft

dont be such a communist! perhaps it wasnt he who rooted the oil changes? perhaps its just one of those things that happens? Perhaps he doesnt want to do it the right way, and wants to discover his car?

:D

Organza 2000 AU 2 Fairmont Ghia
4.0 VCT
JMM Race Series Exhaust
AWC TS50 Front bar
3.45 LSD

Coming soon:
G&D Airbox
CAPA Edit

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: egas bf xt

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
or how about using the right in the first place and changing it at the right time.

That's not going to help him now is it

I can see through wooden doors.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

so is adding diesel actually safe? same with ATF? ive heard some bad things about doing this to an older engine?

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

haggis wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:

That's not going to help him now is it

...easy, guys!

Seriously tho' thanks for the tips.

Spoke to my mechanic today, and he told me to try running a product called "Lifter Free" (Nulon product), added to the existing oil for a couple of weeks.

He said if that doesn't alleviate the problem, he would suspect lifter / seal damage & he would look them over.

The Diesel treatment sounds like it works a treat, don't know if I'm game enough to try it though!

When I take off the oil cap, my internals do look brown & burnt, so maybe I will try the ATF?

Thanks guys!

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

What is this ATF ...and where do I get it, and how much?

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB2

VIC, Australia

i used that crap within 5 minutes one lifter completely s**t inself and it sounded like a diesel on 5 cylinders thats why i put in new lifters

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:46 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

markr154 wrote:
What is this ATF ...and where do I get it, and how much?

Automatic Transmission Fluid.. TQ95, Dextron III, etc.

Whenever I get noisy lifters, I just pop the rocker cover off, pull out the lifters and give them a clean and replace the seals. Takes an hour or 2, can be done with basic tools and basic knowledge. New seals cost about $10 from coventry.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EBII XR6 /ED XR6 /EF XR6

Power: 154 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Kingkezza wrote:
You might get away with just the engine flush. However if this doesn't do it and you are serious about getting rid of the noise then you may have get new lifters (or lifter seals). I'm not sure how much the lifter seals cost but i know brand new lifters are about $25 a pop from repco or coventries, and you'll need 12 of them to do the job properly. DON'T get them from Ford, they quoted me $50 per lifter. What MacGyver said probably works better but a mechanic told me that you can run diesel through your engine, because apparently it does exactly the same thing as an engine flushing agent. I suppose so long as you don't run it for too long it shouldn't do too much damage. Anyway let us know what you decide to try and how you go as i think mine need doing soon!

that's not a bad price from ford for the lifters, i just rebuilt the top end of a festiva at work and for quoted $118 each for it lifters. ond the only stock 3 of them at a time.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next