Fordmods Logo

Non mechanic doing 220,000 service - advice please 

 

Page 1 of 6 [ 76 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

 
 Post subject: Non mechanic doing 220,000 service - advice please
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 587

Joined: 25th Dec 2004

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Hi guys,

Instead of booking it in the mechanic for its service, I've decided to do the AU myself. I'm possibly doing a major trip in April so I will book it into the mechanic then for a checkup, but I'm hoping I can do this service myself. But would like a few bits of advice or suggestions if you have any suggestions: (keep im mind I'm not terribly mechanically minded)

I am hoping to do:

*Engine oil, filter*
Now, I've basically worked out that any decent brand 10w 40 oil is the way to go, some say Penrite is the way to go, but in a stock wagon, probably not needed. I assume standard Ryco filter is ok?


*Coolant flush & refill*
Although its nice and green and full, it hasn't been changed in 20,000 so I assume it won't hurt to do it. Any coolant better than others (keeping in mind stock motor)

*Spark plugs*
Standard Bosch ones that Kmart sell ok? Don't wanna spend a fortune..

*Fuel Filter*
Also, standard ryco or whatever ok?

*Air filter*
According the one I am hopefully getting of a guy in another forum its a:
"triple core panel filter - basically an equivalent to K & N"

*Power steering flush and/or drain & fill*
Few bumps and knocks in the steering - is a drain/flush/refil a good idea? and if so, the best way to go about it. Standard power steering fluid ok???

Anything else you suggest I do (keep in mind I don't usually get my hands dirty, so tricky stuff prefer not thank you!!)

What about leads, coil etc??? Hard/expensive or required to replace the coil??

Thanks guys for your help, hope to do it on the weekend or maybe tomorrow if I get some decent replies.

Oh, it seems to be 'coughing' a bit on take off - is there a throttle cable or something somewhere that could need adjusting or something? Or should I wait until after the plugs are changed before I go looking.

Feel free to offer tips........
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Non mechanic doing 220,000 service - advice please
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:42 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 2517

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

Location: Bunbury
WA, Australia

falconboy wrote:
Hi guys,

*Engine oil, filter*
Now, I've basically worked out that any decent brand 10w 40 oil is the way to go, some say Penrite is the way to go, but in a stock wagon, probably not needed. I assume standard Ryco filter is ok?


personally id use a genuine ford oil filter, mainly because theyre about the same price. or not much more expensive (whats $5 to know its exactly right

Quote:
*Coolant flush & refill*
Although its nice and green and full, it hasn't been changed in 20,000 so I assume it won't hurt to do it. Any coolant better than others (keeping in mind stock motor)


fords reccomendation is every 2 years for coolant, but every year is probably better. Make sure u use a decent brand, and also make sure u use enough. (Genuine ford stuff u need 5L of)

Quote:
*Spark plugs*
Standard Bosch ones that Kmart sell ok? Don't wanna spend a fortune..


if your AU is an AUII or an AUIII it may have irridium plugs, meaning only replace them every 150000km... Im not sure exactly when they came in but it was AUII sometime... If thats the case, its worth replacing with irridium/platinum again unless u really cant afford the $$$ as they'll last another 150000. Altho if thats the case they'll only be like 60000km old...

Quote:
*Fuel Filter*
Also, standard ryco or whatever ok?

Again i'd say genuine, but i am possibly biased seeing as im a ford mechanic. Ryco make decent enough stuff so should be ok...


*Air filter*
According the one I am hopefully getting of a guy in another forum its a:
"triple core panel filter - basically an equivalent to K & N"


Quote:
*Power steering flush and/or drain & fill*
Few bumps and knocks in the steering - is a drain/flush/refil a good idea? and if so, the best way to go about it. Standard power steering fluid ok???

im not sure a flush/refil would really fix the problem. but the best way to do it is disconnect the return line, keep the reservour full and runn the engine, pumping oil thru the rack and out of the return line into a drain tin.
Depending on how u define "standard power steering fluid" it may or may not be right. AU's dont use ATF as theyre power steering fluid, rather a hydraulic fluid which mobil oils calls "Mobil 424" Theres other versions around but i cant remember what they are. (its clearish). This oil can also be put in EA-EL's after a thurough flush to eliminate steering shudder problems.

Quote:
Anything else you suggest I do (keep in mind I don't usually get my hands dirty, so tricky stuff prefer not thank you!!)

What about leads, coil etc??? Hard/expensive or required to replace the coil??

if leads and the coil pack arent misbehaiving id leave them alone. If it aint brooke y fix it?

Quote:
Thanks guys for your help, hope to do it on the weekend or maybe tomorrow if I get some decent replies.

Oh, it seems to be 'coughing' a bit on take off - is there a throttle cable or something somewhere that could need adjusting or something? Or should I wait until after the plugs are changed before I go looking.

Feel free to offer tips........


just a couple of other things - alot of AU's leak water at the back of the water pump where the bypass hose runs into it.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:31 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 4102

Joined: 18th Nov 2004

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

Location: Carrum Downs
VIC, Australia

*Engine oil, filter*
You may need a thicker oil than 10w 40 on an engine that old. I know ford say 10w 40, other workshop guides spec thicker oils for high k engines. I use 20w 50 my car has 187000 on it. I have used Ryco filters for years with no problems, someone once told me Ryco make the ford filters anyway.

*Coolant flush & refill*
you only need coolant if you are going into extreme climates (snow, desert) you do however need corosion inhibitor, not the same thing.
Your radiator water should be pink not green thats the spec for an AU. Genuine Ford Corosion inhibitor Rl-50 it is not compatible with ethylene Glycol based coolants so your system will need a thorough flushing out.

*Spark plugs*
If you are not going to put in irridium plugs at least replace them with NGK's they are a far better plug than Bosch.

*Fuel Filter*
Standard ryco would be ok

*Power steering flush and/or drain & fill*
My understanding AU's came out with variable speed power steering and must be used with Mobiltrans 424. Every other brand has a equivilant, check their web sites for vehicle specs then go shopping. Unfortunatly its about 3 times the price of ATF

 

_________________

Image
She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:37 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 587

Joined: 25th Dec 2004

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Hi mate, thanks for your comments....

Oil wise, there seem to be varied opinions - maybe I stick to 15w if I can get it??

madmax wrote:
*Engine oil, filter*
You may need a thicker oil than 10w 40 on an engine that old. I know ford say 10w 40, other workshop guides spec thicker oils for high k engines. I use 20w 50 my car has 187000 on it. I have used Ryco filters for years with no problems, someone once told me Ryco make the ford filters anyway.



It mentions there is a red and a green coolant for the AU in the Ellery service manual, although the owner manual does say RI-52 - so I will track it down.

Quote:
*Coolant flush & refill*
you only need coolant if you are going into extreme climates (snow, desert) you do however need corosion inhibitor, not the same thing.
Your radiator water should be pink not green thats the spec for an AU. Genuine Ford Corosion inhibitor Rl-50 it is not compatible with ethylene Glycol based coolants so your system will need a thorough flushing out.



Shall do - I'm sure I have seem NGKs somewhere....

Quote:
*Spark plugs*
If you are not going to put in irridium plugs at least replace them with NGK's they are a far better plug than Bosch.



Great

Quote:
*Fuel Filter*
Standard ryco would be ok



One of my questions was whether a drain/fill is even required - it doesn't seem to mention it anywhere as a service item....shall I bother?

Quote:
*Power steering flush and/or drain & fill*
My understanding AU's came out with variable speed power steering and must be used with Mobiltrans 424. Every other brand has a equivilant, check their web sites for vehicle specs then go shopping. Unfortunatly its about 3 times the price of ATF


Thanks again
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:41 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 4102

Joined: 18th Nov 2004

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

Location: Carrum Downs
VIC, Australia

Quote:
One of my questions was whether a drain/fill is even required - it doesn't seem to mention it anywhere as a service item....shall I bother?


I doubt a drain and fill will fix it unless it has the wrong fluid in it might be worth speaking to a power steering specialist.

 

_________________

Image
She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:51 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 587

Joined: 25th Dec 2004

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

No worries. Might just leave it. No reason to believe the wrong fluid is in it, works fine, just a few noises. But no doubt thats through having done 221000 k's.

I just noticed took a spark plug out and noticed (along with being pretty brown) they are 'autolite' brand. I assume these are no name cheapies??

Ta
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:53 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 587

Joined: 25th Dec 2004

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Also, I can't see the engine oil drain plug in the picture its got in the manual - I assume its not too far from the oil filter....its not a bastard to get to once its on my ramps is it?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:00 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 2976

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: BF Typhoon

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

They're the same brand JMM in Melbourne stand by and insist on installing into your vehicle when you roll into their garage/workshop.
Some people swear by them, some people dont - the usual.
For memory they arent expensive; depends where you buy obviously as with most things these days.

 

_________________

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:04 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 8655

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

Location: Adelaide CBD
SA, Australia

Daniel wrote:
They're the same brand JMM in Melbourne stand by and insist on installing into your vehicle when you roll into their garage/workshop.
Some people swear by them, some people dont - the usual.
For memory they arent expensive; depends where you buy obviously as with most things these days.


Yeah good call. If were running good before i'd be tempted to get em again.

BTW daniel.... i see remote start coming soon.... rather adventurous isnt it? :wink:

 

_________________

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:18 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 2976

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: BF Typhoon

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Daniel wrote:
They're the same brand JMM in Melbourne stand by and insist on installing into your vehicle when you roll into their garage/workshop.
Some people swear by them, some people dont - the usual.
For memory they arent expensive; depends where you buy obviously as with most things these days.


Yeah good call. If were running good before i'd be tempted to get em again.

BTW daniel.... i see remote start coming soon.... rather adventurous isnt it? :wink:

Yer, a bit; but i need something "different" with a bit of cool factor.
Plus i dont like getting in the car n starting it n driving off; i usuall start it while im standing outside then get in n seal belt n crap, be so much easier with remote start - so it would serve a purpose too.

 

_________________

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:26 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 6432

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 6 images

Can anyone confirm the legality of remote start in Victoria? I was under the impression that it was a no go.

 

_________________

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:39 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 4102

Joined: 18th Nov 2004

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

Location: Carrum Downs
VIC, Australia

falconboy wrote:
Also, I can't see the engine oil drain plug in the picture its got in the manual - I assume its not too far from the oil filter....its not a bastard to get to once its on my ramps is it?


Not sure about AU but wouldn't think it was any differant to any other ford, usually very easy to get to from under the car. Now the filter thats another thing altogether! I found a standard oil filter wrench was just too difficult and bought a socket type from bursons.

 

_________________

Image
She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 64

Posts: 3552

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

Location: Penrith
NSW, Australia

Check or replace diff oil...Same with auto. Check brake pad thickness, fluid..
Check serpintine belts...
Check spare tyre is o/k presure is correct...

 

_________________

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 587

Joined: 25th Dec 2004

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Diff oil, auto service and rear brakes were done 1000'ks ago when I had it checked when I bought it as a safety/immediate attention type of service.

I checked the front brakes and they are fine - done 10,000 k ago. Bit squeaky though - what usually does that when the pads are ok and the discs look and feel pretty smooth.....

Spare is ok, and I have no idea what a serpintine belt is, so I can't check that!!!

I have bought a few bits and pieces, but I can't seem to find the appropriate WSS-M97-B44 C or D coolant/inhibitor that it says it needs. I can find a green B44 A though. Surely I don't need to buy genuine from ford at a price of $20 per litre???



EBXR8380 wrote:
Check or replace diff oil...Same with auto. Check brake pad thickness, fluid..
Check serpintine belts...
Check spare tyre is o/k presure is correct...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 587

Joined: 25th Dec 2004

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Okies, so far I am going to use the following:

Oil: Mobil Synth S - 10w40. Couldn't find much in 10w 40. Even though Synth probably isn't needed for a stock 6, I assume it won't hurt either?
5 litres - $28.50

Plugs: NGK - $25 (could of got Bosch or Champion a bit cheaper, but thought 'what the heck'. I'm saving by not getting a mechanic to do it.

Oil Filter - Valvoline $4.24

Fuel Filter - Ryco $29.99 which I thought was a f**k rip off - but it was from Repco cause noone else had one.

Just need help finding the coolant......
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 6  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:00 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names