Fordmods Logo

Non mechanic doing 220,000 service - advice please 

Page 3 of 6 [ 76 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Idling at about 800 - but I haven't even taken it for a run yet. I was dripping with sweat from changing the plugs of a car that was still warm, on a hot day, not far from the outside unit of a split system air conditioner. No wonder I was f**k hot!!

I didn't say I don't need coolant - I meant I don't really need to change it being only 12mths, 48000 k's when the suggested is 3 yrs, 100,000 k's. Yeah, yeah, its not a bad idea to do it anyway, but its not exactly overdue now is it? :)

But if I can just use the Valvoline GL5 instead of the genuine stuff, I might do it anyway. Otherwise might put it off a little bit.

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
How much faster? If within acceptable RPM (i dunno, mine idles around 650-700) then should be fine. Can always adjust idle if need be (disconnect ISC and adjust base idle screw).

As for not needing coolant... id have to disagree, living in Adelaide. Regularly 38-40 degrees here over the summer.... one of the hottest and definately the driest place on earth.... if Australia doesnt classify as a hot climate then im not sure what does...?

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

We use Valoline GL5 on everything at work. From Scania's to Isuzu's etc
Btw serpintine belt is what drives alternator, power steering etc...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

the reason for the different opinions on coolant is because ford changed the factory spec sometime during the AU model life.
Im trying to find the TSB on it so i can give u an actual date, but the general concensus from ford is that the green stuff is better...

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
How much faster? If within acceptable RPM (i dunno, mine idles around 650-700) then should be fine. Can always adjust idle if need be (disconnect ISC and adjust base idle screw).

As for not needing coolant... id have to disagree, living in Adelaide. Regularly 38-40 degrees here over the summer.... one of the hottest and definately the driest place on earth.... if Australia doesnt classify as a hot climate then im not sure what does...?

Well I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. But I will ask you one question, ever try running without coolant, and if you have what differance did it make to the operating temp on the gauge?

I haven't used coolant in any car in over 20 years (s**t now i'm showing my age :) ) I use to live in WA, high temps over there also, and I just completed a return trip across the Nullibour, temp on my car doesn't move higher than the 'A' in the Normal zone regardless of outside temps.
My understanding of Coolant is extreme temps 50+ and down to freezing

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

xpression wrote:
the reason for the different opinions on coolant is because ford changed the factory spec sometime during the AU model life.
Im trying to find the TSB on it so i can give u an actual date, but the general concensus from ford is that the green stuff is better...

Must be a diiferant Ford dealership, my understanding was ford developed the pink inhibitor because ethylene glycol (green) was eating out the seals on the radiator tanks. Apparently the pink one is also the only product that has continued to be recommended by Ford throughout the EL-AU-BA period.

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

naa no way... BA's very definatly come from the factory with green coolant..
it is possible it was true for EL-AU but i know for a fact they changed the spec (again?) half way thru AU

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

xpression wrote:
naa no way... BA's very definatly come from the factory with green coolant..
it is possible it was true for EL-AU but i know for a fact they changed the spec (again?) half way thru AU

Yeah that'd be right Ford can't make up their minds again, causing confusion amongst everyone with differant tales being told everywhere!

I guess the important thing is go with what the book says and don't mix green with pink.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

yeh that sounds about right.
in case u didnt know im a ford mechanic.
the general concencus amung those i work with is that the pink stuff is s**t compared to the green...
doesnt mean its true tho i guess

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

As you would know then the green is ethylene glycol. I was told, and the main reason I changed over to the pink is because ethylene gylcol was eating out the seals in the radiators on ELs and early AU. I know this beacuse a mate of mine was working for a radiator place and was flat out replacing/repairing radiators for the local Ford Dealership. Since I change over to the pink I have had no corrosion problems. I did however have a head fail (porosity holes) whilst using ethylene glycol based products. Go figure?

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

yeh. altho i know when ford changed it etc im not sure on why either way, what your saying is quite possibly true... maybe now they can just get the green stuff heaps cheaper or something?

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Or maybe the seals are made of a differant rubber compound.

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Maybe I'm just a moron, but I can't find the friggin oil drain plug!!! Its not my friggin day. I assumed it would be close to the bottom of the engine, lower than the oil filter, but there is nothing - unless its bloody well hidden....

So far my day of servicing the damn thing is wasted.

No wonder they invented mechanics.

1. Can't work out how to remove quick fit connector from the fuel filter. So far no help from fordmods members (another post)

2. Can't find the oil drain plug, nor where it is in the workshop manual.

This is f**k madness.

I don't think I'll bother draining and flushing the radiator as no doubt, given the day I am having I will have all sorts of problems getting the f**k clamp off the hose.

I think I'll stick to fixing f**k computers.

God damn cars

madmax wrote:
falconboy wrote:
Also, I can't see the engine oil drain plug in the picture its got in the manual - I assume its not too far from the oil filter....its not a bastard to get to once its on my ramps is it?

Not sure about AU but wouldn't think it was any differant to any other ford, usually very easy to get to from under the car. Now the filter thats another thing altogether! I found a standard oil filter wrench was just too difficult and bought a socket type from bursons.

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The truths out - I am a f**k moron.

I was looking straight at the sump plug at one stage, but still couldn't find it.

I had another look and it dawned on me.

Now who feels really stupid.

I think what did it was that it looked like a normal bolt - whereas all my previous cars it has been the larger flat type of sump plug. So when I saw a normal looking bolt I thought it was part of holding the cover on or something.

Anyway, thank christ it wasn't tight, nor was the filter.

Happy again, although I still need help how to get the quick fit connector off the fuel filter......and I'm sure in this case Its not through stupidity......

Thanks!

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: FALCON!

ACT, Australia

fuel filter in the engine bay or the one in the fuel tank?

EF FALCON custom bodykit, paceys,redback zorst full /////ALPINE stez BA XR 17's king springs (lows) areotech racing seats
dual fuel 919 thousand km's on the clock

GO HARD MY SON!!!

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Neither - its the in-line fuel filter near the passenger rear wheel.

Also, the radiator hose - I guess it, I was assuming it was just a matter of unscrewing the hose clamp and pulling off the hose, but of course, it seems ford are a bunch of f**k in their attempt to use connectors that the home mechanic can't get off - so how the hell do you also remove the clamp from the hose - its got some weird round thing where the screw should be.

This is pissing me off

Many thanks

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 6  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next