Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: not charging
Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ef xr6 turbo

SA, Australia

gday fellas
my mates ea multi is not charging it has a new battery and we have tried two alternators what else could it be. are the voltage regs internal or external

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Post subject: Re: not charging
Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

The voltage regulators on the first EA's are external and are fitted to the back of the alternator with 2 bolts. Remove it and see if the 2 carbon bushes are worn down(they sit on small springs).

If it's a anniversary model 90 upwards then it will have a mitsubishi alternator which has a internal regulator........

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Its a later ea. So I spose the alt is buggered will try and get a recod one. Thanks

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

okcar charges 13.5 at idle but as soon as i rev it the charge drops and continues dropping.. i pulled every thing off i could imagine from the battery apart from the nessesarys. and it as the same. i checked for VDS on every wire from the alt to the battery. and checked accross battery to chassis and no resistance found.. HELP HELP HELP. what to try now... have tried 3 different alternators and all the same

Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:55 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

Check your engine block to negative battery terminal wire for voltage drop. Start car and turn on your headlights. Measure voltage between the block and - battery terminal. Should be under 300mV or 0.3V. A really good wire measures about 75mV under load.

Get that new battery capacity tested just for peice of mind.

The answer must lie either with the wiring/alt bracket(the bracket is a current carrier) or the battery if you've tried that many alternators.

PS checking for resistance is useless because a multimeter can only provide a small voltage and current. Checking for voltage drops with all electricals turned on is the only way to go. This is true for both positive and negative side of the circuit.

All Falcons since the XD have used internal voltage regulators. The old Bosch 14V3 regulator was also the brush block.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]