Fordmods Logo

Not your usual tappet story 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Not your usual tappet story
Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:20 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF XR6

WA, Australia

Hey guys got a bit of a problem with my tappet/s. I have a '94 EF XR6, and upgraded the cam and replaced the tappets about 2 month's ago. I have done about 1000km's since it was done. Before I replaced them they were starting to make that ticky noise, it was intermittent, and depended on how warm the engine was.

Now its started again in the last week. New tappets, put the extra shims in for the cam etc, but its always there and very loud. What should I be looking for? Engine feels a little flat and sounds throatier. I changed the oil last night from 20W-50 to 10W-40 thinking the thinner oil might help. It hasn't changed anything. I put the oil flushy stuff through before I did the last 2 oil changes. It sounds like a single tappet that has issues, can they collapse or fail shortly after new?

Post subject: Re: Not your usual tappet story
Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

id pull the rocker cover off an check the rocker gear.
i have put in a tappet crouked (spelling? lol) and it broke the end off the rocker, but the tappet stayed in there, was just noisey.

also make sure the rocker gear was tightened correctly so it didnt bend and also that the bolts are all tight.

check your cam timing to see if it has shifted which may have affected the car feeling flat and sounding a bit throaty

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

No worries I'll check em all out, was hoping not to have to pull the cover off, turns out I'm outta luck again.

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

lol ive pulled the cover and rocker gear off at least 3 times a weekend for the past 3 weekends, and sometimes a few during the week.

you get used to it :p

XG Panelvan

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:48 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BLOWN 347 EB GT/ BF XR6 TURBO

Power: 345 rwkw

NSW, Australia

is it the original rocker gear not second hand stuff ??

MY CAR PLZ TAKE A LOOK forums/xtt909-update-t66227.html

DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DAZZLE, EBI347, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN ,SWC, XTT909

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

have a GOOD look at all the valve springs,even push down on the liters to try to compress the springs,sounds like what happened to mine when i broke a valve spring

97 el xr6,5 speed short shifter,sequential scoop,no arial,freshly resprayed,low on 17's,3 inch zorst,stainless hi flo cat,snort stage 3 stainless manifold,garrett t04e,front mount cooler,wolf 3d ecu,seimens 760cc injectors,walbro fuel pump

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Top photo --- Image on right was running perfectly like this... Obviously the others which were worse off weren't open and closing at all any more!!! This happened due to lifters not sitting properly on top of valves when installing new cam.

Never having had a broken valve spring, there are no photos of such available...
But, what he said ^^^^

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:32 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Got it sorted today guys, one of the lifters had failed all the way down, causing the rough running and ticking.

Cheer's for the hot tips!

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:22 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Ok, so I've taken the Falc out once since I repaired it, and today when I pulled into the garage I noticed that it had started ticking again! Opened the bonnet and sure enough, it sounds like the same damn lifter... What could be going wrong? When we cranked it over oil was coming from the top of the rocker, I'm assuming a small amount is pumped up there to lubricate the lifters?

Is there anything I should be looking at? It seems odd that the same lifter has failed twice now in the space of a week...

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

I should add that this time when I replaced it, I soaked the lifter in oil to 'fill' it before installation. There was no noise on startup, compared to when I installed them the first time.

Also, the oil has been changed and is practically brand new, not that there was anything wrong with the old oil.

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Which lifter is it by the way? Half way down on the intake side of the engine by any chance?

Did you replace it or "refurbish" it?.. How are you working out it is the same one?

If it is the same one - Maybe there is a bit of retainer or something stuck up in the rocker which is forcing things askew or something? Did you remove the rocker assembly completely when fixing it the last time?

Hmmm......

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:27 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

I'm fairly certain its the same one. It sounds like it is coming from the exact same point on the cover when I listen to it. Its the last lifter on the RHS looking forward (closest to the firewall). I didn't pull the whole valve train off, just rotated the engine so that rocker was free, and then unbolted the valve train up far enough to slide the lifter and shims out.

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

you shouldnt be able to get a lifter out like that lol
did you loosen the rocker gear at all to do that?

your rocker gear might be bent or not seated correctly.

if all is well, then you might find the o ring on the lifter is shot

XG Panelvan

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

sorry to hijack, but fiend, how the hell did you go about exchanging the rocker arms?

XG Panelvan

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Rocker arms are easy to change really... Just be careful you don't end up with everything sliding off the rails and ending up at your feet --- Oil and sliding metal parts combined with fast movements and gravity = FAIL!
:lol:
Seriously tho, it is easy. Just slide alternating assemblies off the rails on each side and take careful note of the shims or locaters etc. You can do it.

You *can* get the lifters out by rotating crank and cam so that there is no weight on the lifter and releasing all the rocker gear. But I've always found I loose other ones at the same time. Far better to loosen the whole lot, plug up any holes that lead to the sump and lift the whole lot off. If you have a nice piece of formica shelving or something a little larger than the rocker cover positioned nearby in engine bay, you can drop the whole lot onto that promptly before things start falling out everywhere.

I had reasonable success with pulling apart the lifters entirely and cleaning them up and putting them back together with engine assembly grease or similar. I got 12 good ones out of 16 - only two were rooted - two were marginal. The dozen good ones got put in and one of them does tick on occasion, but nothing worth pulling any tools out for.

Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next