Fordmods Logo

Odometer playing up 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Odometer playing up
Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hi guys

Ok so I have decided to do the LED mod to my EF fairmont. Got to the stage where I was changing the orange filter behind the odometer and swapped it with white paper. I made sure I was careful with the odometer as I did not want to damage it. Once I put everything back turned on the car and noticed that the odometers numbers were not displaying properly and was all jumbled up looking weird. I put two pieces of white paper behind the LCD but dont think that would make any difference. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this happening ?

THanks
Daniel

Post subject: Re: Odometer playing up
Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

daniel000 wrote:
Hi guys

Ok so I have decided to do the LED mod to my EF fairmont. Got to the stage where I was changing the orange filter behind the odometer and swapped it with white paper. I made sure I was careful with the odometer as I did not want to damage it. Once I put everything back turned on the car and noticed that the odometers numbers were not displaying properly and was all jumbled up looking weird. I put two pieces of white paper behind the LCD but dont think that would make any difference. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this happening ?

THanks
Daniel

Sounds like the paper might be in between some of the contacts allowing for poor contact between circuit board and LCD. Did you cut the paper to the same size as the orange filter?

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:21 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1992 EB Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Its possibly a contact issue but I would say its more likely you put the lcd back in the wrong way around, I have done that a few times by mistake because it will go either way but when it is the wrong way it looks all jumbled.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thanks guys. Im just hoping I havent destroyed the LCD. Il also double check the placing of the paper but pretty sure its ok.

Also, with the clock. Do I need to put any paper to get the actual display to light up ? I changed both LED's on the clock, everything works but the actual clock display lol

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I'd say you've put the LCD in the frame upside down... Wouldn't do it much damage I wouldn't think... If you get the angle right you can see the segments and tracks inside it and help you get the orientation of it right when you reassemble the unit...

As far as the clock goes it sounds like you have put the bulb in 180 degrees out (reverse polarity on the diode)?

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:09 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

daniel000 wrote:
thanks guys. Im just hoping I havent destroyed the LCD. Il also double check the placing of the paper but pretty sure its ok.

Also, with the clock. Do I need to put any paper to get the actual display to light up ? I changed both LED's on the clock, everything works but the actual clock display lol

Yeah you need to put a paper filter on the back, colour of your choice or else you won't be able to see the number display. I tried without a filter, nothing was displayed because the light was so bright it made the numbers disappear. So you'll need to put colour paper behind it.

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ok thanks guys

So having white paper wont do anything?

Also, I noticed that there is a extra wiring loom hanging around near the aerial and demister, not sure what this is :S I have a 95 EF fairmont

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:57 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

daniel000 wrote:
Ok thanks guys

So having white paper wont do anything?

Also, I noticed that there is a extra wiring loom hanging around near the aerial and demister, not sure what this is :S I have a 95 EF fairmont

White paper works fine, that's what I'm using. Only thing is, if you look through a printer paper you see blotches...so dense/less dense areas might not be too appealing...might be able to use tracing paper to remedy this, never tried it. See if you can get photo paper, that might be a better option...not sure how well it lets light through though.

The extra wiring plug between the aerial and demister button is used in station wagons. I believe rear wiper button.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks phong, well i think i have stuffed mine, no display at all with white and blue paper arghh

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:37 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

daniel000 wrote:
Thanks phong, well i think i have stuffed mine, no display at all with white and blue paper arghh

Make sure the rubber things that sit above and below the screen sit properly...they have electrical contacts in them. If it's slightly moved to the left/right it will not display. See if that helps.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

When I used white paper as a filter, I sprayed it with wd40 and let it dry out.
It made the light much more uniform, not blotchy.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

lol well, when the sun shines through the car and hits the clock, i can see it working. the rubber that is connected to the LCD have come off it lol. Have I ruined my LCD for the clock ?

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

If you can see it working with sunlight, then the LCD is working, it's the globe that's not working.
If it's an LED you've probably got it in backwards.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:13 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

daniel000 wrote:
lol well, when the sun shines through the car and hits the clock, i can see it working. the rubber that is connected to the LCD have come off it lol. Have I ruined my LCD for the clock ?

Means it's working. As MAD said...might be the actual LED...you sure the LED is on? There are 2 light bults in the trip computer and the rubber pieces are removable so no it's not broken in that regard.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]