Fordmods Logo

OFF the mark acceleration..... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: OFF the mark acceleration.....
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:35 am 
Stock as a Rock

Power: 284 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Hi

I have an XR6T Auto, 300rwkw. From about 3000rpm the car is a weapon very dangerous but Im a little concerned about its off the line performance.

From a standing start with no stalling up the auto, it just takes off ok, until about 3000rpm when it gets crazy.

Even if you stall it up, it sort of bogs down until boost arrives with the ferocity of a cricket bat to the head.

Has anyone else driven XR6T Autos and isnt overly impressed with its off the mark performance?

I reckon my dads EL Ghia tickford 6 would beat it initially, even the old VS Commodore V6 would get it, my brothers V6 supercharged would eat it off the mark. (Of course Ill make them pay afterwoods after 3000rpm)

what are your thought off the mark, what about normal XT 4L, do they behave the same off the mark?

XR6 Turbo, 20 inch wheels, citric acid, 300rwkw

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ELXR8 SERIES 2

SA, Australia

i think you will find thats what is known as turbo lag :) the few mates i have with big powered turbo cars are using nos to elimanate this lag of the line but thats for launching off the line at the christmas tree. havent been in a turbs with as much grunt as yours (300rwkw :shock: i bet it comes on like a cricket bat to the head) i always thaught the bigger the turbo and the more boost you are running the more lag you will get but i dont know fuk all bout forced induction. i reckon ya best bet would be with a manual box so you can control the revs a bit better, ie, lower gear, higher revs so its always spooled up and ready to go. thats how i drive my mates turbo cars, i hate lag :twisted:

EL XR8 SERIES 2, 5SPD, HOT CHILLI RED, 200 ODD RWKW OF V8 FUN AND GAMES

EF XR6, 5SPD, HERITAGE GREEN, AU XR6 VCT ENGINE

VL COMMODORE, 5SPD, WHITE

BA XT, AUTO, OFFSHORE BLUE

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: FG 50th Anni G6E Turbo

VIC, Australia

Yeah mate i have a futura 4.0L non turbo and its a dog off the line. I get owned by VS's until about 3500Rpm. Although i dont have the ferocisty of a cricket bat... i do ok.
I think part of the issue is deffinately the weight. They are very heavy cars to move. Espicially with a big drivier, your looking very close to 2 tonne! You could counter it with some diff gears.. i know thats on my list of things to do, but other than that im not sure. Custom tuning to get more power down low?? just a thought.

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:22 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Its been custom tuned. Down low I think they are just a little lazy off the line. shouldnt it go at least as well as a normal 6? Ive driven plenty of 6s which roar off the line.

Im only a little angry because by dads tickford 6 will beat it off the line. XR turbos are a good 1700kg vs tickford 6 1600kg. My car feels like a slingshot, it sort of does nothing at first and at 3000rpm its gone.

But im thinking I should still have enough to at least stay with them off the line and then run away.

For example the other night im at the lights with a Magna 3.5 litre sports. I didnt stall it up and simply gave it a hit of fthe amrk but he absolutely ripped off the mark. I gave it a bit and he was a little ahead, I backed out before boost came on because up ahead it was a little tight as the road narrowed and sometimes my car gets a little sideways under boost.

The magna bloke probably thinks I hammered an XR6 turbo?

what can i do to pick it up off the line? Dont really wanna do diff gears.

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MKII Futura

VIC, Australia

3000 highstall you will be able to launch already doing like 3000rpm which is not far of goodgame to all those who take a poke at you

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '98 EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Of course your car is going to feel like a standard six early in the revs because until the boost comes on it essentially IS a standard XR6. Don't be to shamed about the magna, those 5spd VRXs do a low 14 1/4 and even the non-VRX ones are dangerously quick with a few light mods.

Apart from a stall or manual convo I don't think there is a great deal you can do. Maybe try opening up the induction a bit, get the car breathing better.

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

Typical turbo car.. my XR6 feels the same way. Driving around town off the boost the XT is definately gruntier then the XR6. I put it down to partly turbo lag and partly the XR6 having a lower compression ratio then the n/a cars. If it bothers you that much a set of diff gears might be in order, then you'll get to 3000rpm much quicker... the slingshot effect will be even worse then if you do that though.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: FG 50th Anni G6E Turbo

VIC, Australia

Could be the Auto aswell?? The magna's and commordores have very high (i think its high) 1st gear ratio which gives them a huge leap off the line, but struggle higher in the rev range. Where as the falccons, as a general rule, power throught mid to top end.

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

fnp wrote:
Typical turbo car.. my XR6 feels the same way. Driving around town off the boost the XT is definately gruntier then the XR6. I put it down to partly turbo lag and partly the XR6 having a lower compression ratio then the n/a cars. If it bothers you that much a set of diff gears might be in order, then you'll get to 3000rpm much quicker... the slingshot effect will be even worse then if you do that though.

But in saying that how do they perform in a manner which is about equal to the 6.0 LS2 or XR8. If those cars are getting the jump on me, the XR6T must have a tonn of grunt to catch up again.

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: AUIII XR6 HP

Power: 137 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I put a smaller exhaust housing on my EVO3 turbo to reduce lag. I had boost from around 2k. Might affect top end power though however i was running quicker times with it. My electronic boost controller had a setting to control when boost kicks in also.

PACEMAKER 4480, SS H/F CAT, 2.5" REDBACK, INTAKE PIPING, K&N PANEL, PIONEER TV

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Does it have stock size turbo? Cause if you have gone larger that will probably give lag at the start.
Hi stall and 3.73 - 4.11:1 gears will remedy ur problem big time, but fuel economy will suffer a bit. Even tho the XR6T is lumbered with a super tall 1st gear and heavy weight it should still haul under 3000rpm with the huge low down torque. Unlike alot of turbo cars the XR suffers sweet F/A lag because of a perfectly sized turbo and big 4 litre capacity. I'd be getting a performance workshop to check it out, it may have some sort of tuning/boost problem.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:06 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Sorry to hyjack your thread but some ppl here seem to think turbo lag has something to do with acceleration off the line. It doesn't! lag refers to the time the turbo takes to produce boost again after the throttle has been closed and then reopened again. eg, when shifting or backing off for a corner. what these ppl are refering to is the time that the turbo takes to spool up from idol, which is directly related to the sixe of the exhaust wheel of the turbo. once again sorry for the hyjack, but it just erks me when ppl throw the "lag" word around with little knowledge to back it up.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:38 am 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

I always refer to lag as the time it take for the boost to spool enough to produce boost.. wether from closed throttle or standing start..

anyway, speaking of off the line accleration.. my factory EBII used to suprise me how it could jump off the line (for a heavy car anyway).
After I put a cam in it however, it has totally lost this initial launch.. in someways for the type of driving I do I would have been better off with the standard cam.. :?

http://www.retrotech.co.nz

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]