Fordmods Logo

OH oh what have i done now.... (fixed) 

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: OH oh what have i done now.... (fixed)
Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Hmm well i just put the new globes in and all, but i had to disconnect the battery to do so. So yeah that was all okay. Then i took the car for a drive (on gas) and something wasnt right and it felt weird to drive. :?

Well on closer inspection i noticed that when i pressed the accelerator slightly the tacho would labor a bit then jumped up and does the opposite when i take my foot off the accelrator. Labors a bit then the revs drop way way down, nearly stalled on me iirc!!! :x

Cause i think i may have actually caused this myself... Well theres that little black plastic thingy that sits on top of the throttle body, (reading the manual) its called the ISC..

Hmm i think i may have put that out of whack or something... Cause i was turning it around but i obviously went the wrong direction!

Do you notice the idle getting better if i adjust this back? or have i just f**k up something without relizing?

Thanks guys :P

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Last edited by XRFan101 on Wed May 04, 2005 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

the ISC is not a little black plastic thingy :) that is just a valve AFAIK - you haven't adjusted your base idle or anything but moving that. the base idle is on the underside of the ISC - look over it, and you'll see where the base idle screw is - where the throttle cable comes over.

it may be just the fact you have reset the ECU, and its now relearning - so the idle will be a bit jumpy first off until it sorts itself back out again!

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Oh okay then that might not be too much to worry about then lol, should i switch it over to petrol thou, so it can re-learn the shiftpoints, fuel etc on that as well?

Or doesnt it really matter.

Thanks for that :)

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:47 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

not too sure on the gas side of things sorry mate - haven't had anything to do with it at all :?

but i'd imagine (assuming it was working fine before, and you haven't mucked about with anything else) then its just the ECU relearning - mine idles like a b**ch normally due to the cam etc, but its even worse when the ECU has been reset - stalling an auto = not cool! :lol:

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Andrew- your thread titles always sacre me :shock: lol

Are you sure its not the throttle position sensor? Geez, dunno much about the I6 setup so i may not be much help here.

On the normal ECU, it watches the tps... when you are heavy on the throttle, it dumps a bit more fuel in...

Does the gas system have a seperate computer? It may look at tps...

How it it behaving on petrol?

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

LOL yeah i know my titles always seem to scare :? ha ha i got no idea about the tps where abouts is that and how do you adjust it? Um well i prolly should go for a drive on petty then cause ive only been driving on gas.

But yeah it was runnin fine b4 i disconnected the battery thou! :roll: Mabe i should go for a quick drive on petty and see what happens.

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Well just went for a quick drive, on petrol, was a bit iffy for about 5 mintues then all was ok with driving that.

But switched it back over to LPG and it started happening again, hmm weird, its like as soon as you start to brake and take you foot off the accelerator the revs drop right down! to about 300rpm and then shoot up to about 700rpm!

Bit weird never used to do that! Theres an adjustment that i can do to it but i cant really do it myself as that is not allowed (incase i blow something up) :roll: and warrantee blah blah. Um well i might just see if this is the problem and get it changed to it idles higher. Also doesnt seem to suck in much air either i noticed when the cars on gas...

Ne one got ne ideas? Thanks :)

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

hmmm.. def doesn't sound like the TPS to me - mine has died before, and i'd imagine you'd have the same issues on both petrol & gas :?

whats the idle like in P/N/R/D when the car is stationary? is it hunting? or pretty stable?

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yes um the car did actually just about stall on me while i was driving on Gas, petrol seemed fine, but just reading my handy car manual. Seems i should of done something called the Throttle Position Calibration b4 i went and drove it!

This would explain a few things, why the idling is bad and erractic and shifting is alot harder too and acceleration is poor :? is it too late to do this now or should i disconnect the battery and start over. :?

Last edited by XRFan101 on Tue May 03, 2005 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

throttle position calibration? :? lol whats that?

maybe reset the base idle - that'd be what i'd try first off. i'm sure it gives you instructions on how to reset the idle?

i'm assuming the poor revving etc is not when the car is actually 'driving' but stationary?

sorry but i know nothing on the LPG side of things - never touched a car with it before :(

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Hmm quite possible too, i may not have much gas in the tank but i put 22L in it the other day and i have not driven that much in the last day and a half! :?

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

uglybob wrote:
throttle position calibration? :? lol whats that?

maybe reset the base idle - that'd be what i'd try first off. i'm sure it gives you instructions on how to reset the idle?

i'm assuming the poor revving etc is not when the car is actually 'driving' but stationary?

sorry but i know nothing on the LPG side of things - never touched a car with it before :(

Well reading the manual and according to it once the battery has been disconnected to help the TPS with the auto trans you have to do this Throttle Position Calibration so the throttle can calibrate the correct postions etc... :?

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

what the... i've reset my ECU more times than i'd care to remember - i had scotty do it as well, and we never did anything like the throttle position calibration - what exactly does it tell you to do?!?!

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next