Fordmods Logo

OHC 4L max compression 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: OHC 4L max compression
Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:08 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Hello , trying to find out the max comp people have achieved on the 4L with flat tops with no clearance issues. Im looking at putting one together on methanol and 4 barrel carb, any info will be appreciated . thanks

Post subject: Re: OHC 4L max compression
Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

your problem is going to be timing chain length not 'clearance'

you will need to have notches cut in the pistons to provide clearance for valves regardless of the piston being a flat top or not. even stock dished pistons have one notch on each piston.

you would be using an AU steel head gasket, that measure between 18-20thou depending on who measures it and with what.
you'll need to have the pistons about 15-17thou down.

then it's going to be a mater of shaving the head until you get the compression you want.
most people call 50thou off the head about as much as you want take off.

you now have all the info you need to spend 30mins with a calculator to work how much compression you can get.

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

thanks for the info , so it sounds like any more than 50 thou of the head and you run out of tension adjustment on the timing chain . Do you know roughly what chamber volume you end up with 50 thou shaved , i think they start around 65cc . I know there are 4L around on methanol but it doesent sound like they are running the same sort of comp you can achieve with x-flow. thanks.

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

you should be about to get in the low 50s with chamber cc
You'll still make more power with meth regardless of the compression.

you could have dome top pistons made and run 13:1, it all comes down to $$$$$

personally i believe there is more power in careful reshaping of the chamber and suffering the slight loss in comp.

if you had the time and money, you could reshape/fill the chamber using plasticine and flow testing it. When you find a shape and volume that works, weld fill and grind the final shape.

there is no reason old methods can't be used on a newish engine,

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

I'm currently building an engine ( have been for several yrs....LOL ), and I'm using domed pistons, std bore, no decking of the block or head. I have machined valve reliefs in the pistons.
I'm yet to dummy fit the engine and check what clearance I will have ( piston to valve ). I'm looking at anywhere from 10:1 to 10.5:1, only because of the cam i'm running.
In the pic there is an EL piston and the BA LPG piston.

Attachments:
IMGP1394_resize.JPG
IMGP1394_resize.JPG [ 277.08 KiB | Viewed 183 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:05 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

The rules the engine has to remain within dont allow for anything more than .0 deck hieght , and the other problem is you cant add material. I think for now I will stick with my crossflow , the ohc is somthing I have thought about for a while because it looks as though it would have plenty of potential with a four barrel and custom intake on methanol but also has limitations . My x-flow runs 13.5 comp ,4l crank ,200 rods custom 42mm id intake and methanol , makes around the 340 rwhp. thanks for your info.

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thats some awsome power out of x flow engine

Unfortunatly there isent any super high comp pistons available and u would have to get them made up which costs abit but maybe worth it as its a better engine to start of with but love the old push rod x flow engine.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

What slugs does your x-flow run/are they off the shelf?

Also if you were using a ohc head you might wanna think about changing to solid followers....I'm not exactly sure how it's done as I have only seen one with rocker cover off, some of the guys we used to race against did it (wanting to rev with monster cams). We never went there though as didn't rev it past 6000 anyway.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

61cc head, ACL flat tops, 0.005" deck height, AU MLS head gasket =11.3:1 in an AU engine
61cc head, Hypatec dish tops, +0.005 hanging out the deck, AU MLS head gasket=10.6:1 in same engine

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

macxr8 wrote:
61cc head, Hypatec dish tops, +0.005 hanging out the deck, AU MLS head gasket=10.6:1 in same engine

that sort of piston to head clearance is asking for trouble

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

So whats the max comp u can get without having timing chain problems and having at least 20-30 thou just in case u need to do a headgasket and need to machine head???

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

MICKYYYY wrote:
So whats the max comp u can get without having timing chain problems and having at least 20-30 thou just in case u need to do a headgasket and need to machine head???

about 11:1, but you would need flat top pistons and a 40thou over bore.

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
macxr8 wrote:

that sort of piston to head clearance is asking for trouble

Yup, pistons will have a much bigger valve relief machined into, and the motor dummy assembled again to check it all. May even go back to 0 deck height for added safety

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

So without machining valve reliefs into pistons and doing a more easy build as in high comp flat tops the comp would be about 10.2 or there abouts.

probably saving abit on dummy assembly and valve reliefs machining or would it be worth wild for the extra comp???

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]