Oil consumtion problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Oil consumtion problem
Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:21 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: ef futura

VIC, Australia

Hi all i know i know this question about oil has come up time an time again but i appologise.its just i have been keeping a close eye on my oil levels and it is quite bad i will fill up my oil and i will driive it for approx week or too i will see signs of the level dropping. When the oil is droppin i dont see any oil puddles under neith the car at all. My oil pressure gauge dosnt drop at all into low oil pressure but at times i will get between 50-70 oil pressure reading.

I have an ef falcon futura i hav done over 260 thousand ks on the clock, i service it with penrite hprgas 20-60 is the oil specs. And befor this oil change i used nulon 20-50 so i make sure im using good oils.

But if u please help me by answering these questions i will be verry happy,
1. Why am i loosing oil? Is it a sign of wear?
2. Am i using the right oil? If not what type of oil would you recommend?
3. What can i do to solve my oil problem?

Your help will be greattly appreciated.
Cheers

Post subject: Re: Oil consumtion problem
Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:15 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

if its not leaking? its probably burning it, meaning the rings are showing signs of wear.

although check that your pcv valve in the rocker cover hasnt fallen apart.
in some cases a failed pcv can cause some oil consumption, but usually not enough to notice a loss of oil...

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:22 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
Yeah prob rings and pcv valve

Any smoke of blue coming out of exhaust?

No i have not seen any blue smoke mate not while it is idling thats for sure and i notice a nocking noise tho while it is idling but as soon as i start driving the noise stops. I thought it was sticky lifters so i put lifter liquid in it when i changd my oil

What u rekon? Im completly lost do u think it might be the oil?

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

The best way I have found to check for oil burning is by engine braking. With the engine at normal operating temperature, going downhill at moderate speed, remove your foot from the accelerator and manually gear down so you are getting around 3000-4000 rpm, slowing the car using the engine's compression. This creates very high vacuum in the combustion chambers, sucking oil past piston rings or valve seals if they are worn - you will be able to see blue-ish smoke in the mirror. Better yet is to have someone follow in another vehicle to watch your exhaust. If there is no blue smoke, you can't be buring much oil.

A possible contributor to the oil loss is oil "volatility" - basically, evaporation. Some oils can lose up to 10% of their volume just through vaporising in the hot engine. Wouldn't think you could notice it in a week's driving, but may be part of the cause.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:16 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

efxr6wagon wrote:
The best way I have found to check for oil burning is by engine braking. With the engine at normal operating temperature, going downhill at moderate speed, remove your foot from the accelerator and manually gear down so you are getting around 3000-4000 rpm, slowing the car using the engine's compression. This creates very high vacuum in the combustion chambers, sucking oil past piston rings or valve seals if they are worn - you will be able to see blue-ish smoke in the mirror. Better yet is to have someone follow in another vehicle to watch your exhaust. If there is no blue smoke, you can't be buring much oil.

A possible contributor to the oil loss is oil "volatility" - basically, evaporation. Some oils can lose up to 10% of their volume just through vaporising in the hot engine. Wouldn't think you could notice it in a week's driving, but may be part of the cause.

Oh ok i will try that out and see how i go and in regards to a hot engine i modified the thermostat bc befor my car will run really hot but thank you very much for the help, if i cant figure it out i guess a mechanic will have to have a look at it n hope he dosnt price an arm n a leg if it isnt a real problem

Cheers,

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

Knocking on cold start is usually the bottom end in these cars.
If it runs well I'd leave it.
How much oil a week would it be burning?
And gave you checked you're cooling system for signs of oil.

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:43 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Gli wagon

NSW, Australia

The oil has to be going somewhere, correct?
If there are no leaks, the only other place it can go is out the exhaust (also note the 'vaporisation' comment).
From my experience, an engine does not have to be seen blowing blue smoke to burn oil; that just makes it obvious.
And, as someone has already pointed out, how much oil is it using, and is it really an issue? For example, my last car used a bit of oil, and sometimes blew a little blue smoke, but ran perfectly well. I just topped it up when required.
Unless it's an oil leak, or the thing is blowing heaps of smoke, if it's running well, why not leave it be? The engine has reasonable miles on it, but could go for a hell of a lot more, without misshap; some posters here got over 400,000km without major issue, other than using a little more oil.
All the engines we own will eventually fall apart, and their usage will become a major issue. Until that happens, let sleeping dogs lie, I reckon.

EF GLi Wagon. Burgundy. Gas shocks. Rear sway bar. Nice stereo & speakers. Factory bull bar. Driving lights. Roof racks. Great car. 2nd owner. 147,000km.

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

I drove my falcon for 20,000ks having to top up the coolant fortnightly and oil about the same. Haha

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:41 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Pakrat wrote:
Knocking on cold start is usually the bottom end in these cars.
If it runs well I'd leave it.
How much oil a week would it be burning?
And gave you checked you're cooling system for signs of oil.

Yea mate she goes through in a week she will prob loose 1 litre min

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:43 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Thanks u all for the good feedback i willl keep you posted on her progress

Cheers,

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]