Fordmods Logo

oil in water 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: oil in water
Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:16 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

how do you get all of the auto oil out of the water as im changing the RADIATOR as it has sht itself

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:50 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Flush it thoroughly, dump the lot and put new coolant in.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:20 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

What Steady ED said.

It would make things easier if you could get some type of solution (soapy stuff) that can bind water molecules with the oil molecules and basically remove all sorts of s**t from the coolant system. Though I am not sure if there is an automotive grade solution that can be used in such a manner without damaging anything internally.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

would degreaser work the stuff you buy from the reject shop in the bottle

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Try Wynn's Radiator Flush. If your radiator is leaking badly, you may have to use it after its reco'd or replaced. I think the additive will emulsify the oil better when the water is at operating temperature (prior to flushing).

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:34 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Custom Bedford, 79 Firebird

WA, Australia

If you mean flushing the oil out of the radiator, you want to put a hose on it for a fair while to get most of the gunk out, then refit the radiator and run a flush like wynns or similar through..

If you just mean to get the oil out of the block, the flush should do the trick, get it pretty hot, then drop the fluid, if it still looks greasy after you put fresh water in it, then flush it again..

Put Redline Water Wetter in after you've finished flushing it, you'll be heaps better off with it than with coolant.

I explained this recently in another thread, but unless you live somewhere where water is likely to freeze over night, you don't need glycol. Glycol is the worlds best antifreeze.. something we rarely need in australia..

Redline has the rust inhibitors like all coolants, but it targets the hotspots in an engine (not so bad in a street car, but anyway) and it will run cooler than coolant when used with distilled water alone. Get yourself 2 x 15L goon bags of distilled water from coventrys. Fill with water, run til hot, drop it out, repeat twice then add redline water wetter. You'll be happy you did.

I hope this helps,

Cheers
MaTTe

Wrecking BA lots of parts available Pictures and prices here
3 Decks with stackers PRICE DROP

Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

you need to use a soap based degreaser.
flush what you can with a hose then fill it with water and the degreaser. drive the car for a day or two and flush it again. repeat untill water is clean, then fill with what ever coolent you like to use

Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:15 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XC GXL

WA, Australia

All the hoses will be oil contaminated inside, and after about 6 months youll be blowin hoses left right and centre. Budgets will be blown along with head gaskets if ya dont clean all the muck outta the whole system, and whack on some new hoses. The only way to do it properly is to pull it to bits unfortuneately.

XC GXL 5.8: 14.1 @ 99MPH. Thank you to Jimbos alchoholic uncle for the short motor. It goes alright now mate.

Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:00 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

experienced this problem recently with a heat exchanger that filled the whole cooling system with dirty disel engine oil.

It took exactly 24 flushes to clean the whole cooling system out this included having to take out the water resivor.

There is a solvent thats safe to use but i think its a little pricey something like $25 for a 500ml tin and we used 4-5 all bursons stores stock it tho the name eludes me right now. its got a yellow label with black writing on it.

as previously stated tho the long term problems this could cause make $100-$125 not really that hig a cost!

Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

I've found cheap degreaser to be almost useless (it doesn't compare at all to petrol in terms of breaking down oil). I have a suspicion that auto trans oil is particularly aggressive against rubber hoses that aren't designed to handle it. The oil is thin and seems to get into them.

On the topic of glycol, the guy lives in bowral, which is highlands country, with occasional frosts, even the odd patch of snow i think.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]