Fordmods Logo

oil leak after head gasket replaced 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: oil leak after head gasket replaced
Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagoon

WA, Australia

I just replace dmy head gasket and it's all good.... except i now have a leak at the front of the motor. where the power steering pump bracket bolts to the front of the motor there is two 13mm bolts and one long 10mm bolt that goes in a fair way. this one seems loose where it goes through the timing cover and is leaking. should it have a bush or grommet or something or do i have the wrong bolt in there. I don't have any leftovers and seem to have all the other bolts in correct places. :?:

EF GLi Wagoon
Grandpa Spec

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:51 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

IIRC one of those bolts needs a smear of RTV sealant before installing, just like the top passenger side chainguide bolt. You can tell when the bolt is initially removed as it will have an orangy type sealing on the end threads.
Also before the head goes on, there should be a smear of sealant each side in the gap between the top timing cover, and the head gasket.

The tensioner retainer plug isn't leaking is it ?? It has either a washer or o ring installed.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

crazy s**t, mines leaking oil from the same place. did i put the wrong bolt in too? expect i got that really long bolt left cause i couldnt remember where it came out of.

there are the bolts i got left. any ideas what they go?

had a s**t of a week doing this, crap kept going wrong everything i touched something else.

finally got it back togeather tonight was happy as s**t.. then after 2 minutes of idling i noticed a s**t of oil everywhere pissing out of the ps bracket

Attachments:
DSC00289.JPG
DSC00289.JPG [ 65.38 KiB | Viewed 125 times ]

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

They all look like there out of the PS bracket, never a good thing having bolts left over. That tall one should go in the front on the bracket with sealant on it.

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:14 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL XR6

New Zealand

A good mechanic always has a few bolts left over :lol: :lol:
at least thats what they used to tell me when i was doing my apprentiship

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:23 am 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

i have the same long bolt left over GAZ. and i cant find where its goes, been out for 12*** kms now and nothing has gone wrong/made noises etc.
if you do find where it goes, be sure to post it up for us (mainly me) to see, cheers dude.

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

thanks for the help everyone. i tried taking the thin long bolt out and putting some sealant on it and put it back in. it still leaked. So i took it out again put some sealant on it and put it back. then left the car over night. i started it this morningand it seems okay now. :D :D

EF GLi Wagoon
Grandpa Spec

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

is the long thin bolt you took out the same as the photo above? i tihnk its 10mm? where does it go?? not the bottom hole in the front of the bracket that goes into the timing coveR?

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

ok well it does go in that hole..

put some sealant on it.. still leaks slightly from the back of the bracket, i cant see it dripping anymore but if i put my finger behind there after the car has run it is covered in oil.

i might pull it out and give it a thicker smear of sealant and leave it over night. i left it approx 2 hours. see how we go.

no if only those f**k lifters would stop ticking. drove it for 10 minutes + 10 minutes of idling and there is still a loud tick. it beter piss off cause its s**t me :\ they normally dont take this long to stop do they?

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

i covered the bolt in silastic behind the bracket, then put the bracket on. if you are doing this with the bracket on, i would loosen the bolts and shove some sealant behind the bracket.
btw i used quite a bit of silastic, to be sure.

EF GLi Wagoon
Grandpa Spec

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]