Fordmods Logo

oil plug wont undo 

 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

 
 Post subject: oil plug wont undo
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 32

Posts: 19

Joined: 9th Nov 2004

Ride: Falcon EB II 4.0 auto

Location: Mornington Peninsula
VIC, Australia

hey

was trying to change my oil on my eb falcon, and the oil plug on the bottom of the sump wont come undone.


will wd40 or soemthing similar help it out. i wouldnt of thought it would be a problem since it is always imersed in oil.


please help me, i have some nice penrite oil sitting there waiting to go to good use.


thanks
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 8655

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

Location: Adelaide CBD
SA, Australia

I prefer leverage as opposed to WD40.

A good breaker bar or a strong bit of piping over the end of your ratchet should give you a bit of mechanical advantage.

 

_________________

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 32

Posts: 19

Joined: 9th Nov 2004

Ride: Falcon EB II 4.0 auto

Location: Mornington Peninsula
VIC, Australia

hmn


give it ago, just dont wanna break the thing.


i spose auto parts stores would have spares if i did?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 8655

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

Location: Adelaide CBD
SA, Australia

jones_aus wrote:
hmn


give it ago, just dont wanna break the thing.


i spose auto parts stores would have spares if i did?


Yeah im sure repco would be able to help you out... but makes life interesting when you cant drive the car down there :wink:

 

_________________

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 170

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Location: Downtown
NT, Australia

Go get a sump plug today and change your oil tommorrow when your engine - and your oil is cold. That way any impurities, including moisture will be at the low point in your sump. Starting an engine to warm up the oil prior to draining it is a bad habit.

 

_________________

Don't know where we're going,
no use being late

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 47

Posts: 1826

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

Location: Bayside, Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Yeah it might sound stupid but check that you are turning it the right way, ie; anti-clock to undo. Cause I was undoing mine the wrong way one day and rounded the bloody edges until I worked out what I was doing wrong *DOH*
Also some mechanics the bastards, tighten them up way to tight and you end up having to use a extra tub of elbow grease if need be :!:

 

_________________

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 8655

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

Location: Adelaide CBD
SA, Australia

1 SLY 97EL wrote:
Also some mechanics the bastards, tighten them up way to tight and you end up having to use a extra tub of elbow grease if need be :!:


Lol, rattle gun way too much overkill for a sump plug!!! Bastards....

 

_________________

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 2449

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: Falcon EB-s

Location: Manjimup
WA, Australia

1 SLY 97EL wrote:
Yeah it might sound stupid but check that you are turning it the right way, ie; anti-clock to undo. Cause I was undoing mine the wrong way one day and rounded the bloody edges until I worked out what I was doing wrong *DOH*
Also some mechanics the bastards, tighten them up way to tight and you end up having to use a extra tub of elbow grease if need be :!:


Howd you manage to round the bolt? :shock:
I thought most people wouldnt be silly enough not to use the correct size socket on something like the sump plug.

 

_________________

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 47

Posts: 1826

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

Location: Bayside, Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Andrew J wrote:
1 SLY 97EL wrote:
Yeah it might sound stupid but check that you are turning it the right way, ie; anti-clock to undo. Cause I was undoing mine the wrong way one day and rounded the bloody edges until I worked out what I was doing wrong *DOH*
Also some mechanics the bastards, tighten them up way to tight and you end up having to use a extra tub of elbow grease if need be :!:


Howd you manage to round the bolt? :shock:
I thought most people wouldnt be silly enough not to use the correct size socket on something like the sump plug.


Sheer brute strength my friend. :D

 

_________________

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 2449

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: Falcon EB-s

Location: Manjimup
WA, Australia

1 SLY 97EL wrote:
Andrew J wrote:
1 SLY 97EL wrote:
Yeah it might sound stupid but check that you are turning it the right way, ie; anti-clock to undo. Cause I was undoing mine the wrong way one day and rounded the bloody edges until I worked out what I was doing wrong *DOH*
Also some mechanics the bastards, tighten them up way to tight and you end up having to use a extra tub of elbow grease if need be :!:


Howd you manage to round the bolt? :shock:
I thought most people wouldnt be silly enough not to use the correct size socket on something like the sump plug.


Sheer brute strength my friend. :D


Id get myself a new set of spanners then mate. Ive never rounded off a bolt with a socket before, and never seen anyone else if its the right size. And If you think it was force, try this. We needed to undo the bolt that holds the uni joint onto the back of a truck gearbox, so we dropped off the tailshaft, stuck on the correct socket, put a sliding T bar in between the chassis rails, and slowly let the clutch up. Very gently. Just watched it bend, and then shear off a 3/4 inch solid steel bar, almost new. And still didnt shift it!

 

_________________

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:56 pm 
Site Admin
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 8831

Joined: 18th Dec 2002

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Andrew J wrote:
1 SLY 97EL wrote:
Andrew J wrote:
1 SLY 97EL wrote:
Yeah it might sound stupid but check that you are turning it the right way, ie; anti-clock to undo. Cause I was undoing mine the wrong way one day and rounded the bloody edges until I worked out what I was doing wrong *DOH*
Also some mechanics the bastards, tighten them up way to tight and you end up having to use a extra tub of elbow grease if need be :!:


Howd you manage to round the bolt? :shock:
I thought most people wouldnt be silly enough not to use the correct size socket on something like the sump plug.


Sheer brute strength my friend. :D


Id get myself a new set of spanners then mate. Ive never rounded off a bolt with a socket before, and never seen anyone else if its the right size. And If you think it was force, try this. We needed to undo the bolt that holds the uni joint onto the back of a truck gearbox, so we dropped off the tailshaft, stuck on the correct socket, put a sliding T bar in between the chassis rails, and slowly let the clutch up. Very gently. Just watched it bend, and then shear off a 3/4 inch solid steel bar, almost new. And still didnt shift it!


i've done it on sidchome sockets before. It happens.

Spanner and hammer, or socket and huge breaker bar should do the trick. Mmm.. I feel that i'm lucky to have air on tap :D

 

_________________

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 32

Posts: 19

Joined: 9th Nov 2004

Ride: Falcon EB II 4.0 auto

Location: Mornington Peninsula
VIC, Australia

wd40 did the trick
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 8655

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

Location: Adelaide CBD
SA, Australia

Waggin wrote:
Mmm.. I feel that i'm lucky to have air on tap :D


This explains a lot.... lol.

Ah well, i've lost about 5kilos since i became a Ford 'modder' :wink: Boldy cracking bolts that no man has cracked before, being the first to remove something since the car was built... they must have some kick-a** rattle guns over at FoMoCo.... such fun :lol:

 

_________________

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 35

Posts: 149

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Ride: XH Ute

Location: Dandenong
VIC, Australia

sockets, who uses sockets on an oil plug
Good quality, correct size ring spanners people, then you wont risk breaking your good ratchet whilst trying to leaver it!
Also ring spanners can have the absolute s**t wacked out of them with a mash hammer!

 

_________________

The Ute with the Most

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 107

Joined: 1st Dec 2004

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ED futura

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

id either use the rattle gun or if u dun hav one maybe heat it gently with the oxy set then try it....

 

_________________

It puts the lotion on its skin.. or else it gets the hose again!

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 20 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:48 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names