Fordmods Logo

Oil Pressure After Oil Change 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Oil Pressure After Oil Change
Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:55 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia

NSW, Australia

I had my oil changed a couple weeks ago due to it being black and ever since then my oil pressure gauge has been erratic. It sits up high (second needle to the top red) when the car is started and then slowly goes down. During regular driving, it'll sit anywhere from the middle to near the top, but when sitting in traffic or not touching the throttle, it'll go right down to the first needle. A few times (about four or five times now) it has dropped all the way to the red and I've had the beep warning. The only way I've found to fix this is to give it light throttle to bring the pressure up over the red.

Is this a sender, a switch, or could the oil change just have been done wrong? I find it hard to believe an electrical component that worked fine before would just die randomly after an oil change.

4.0L Tickford six, 1645b E-series custom grind, MLS gasket, performance valve springs, 3" stainless intake, extractors, 2.5" Lukey, 100cpi hi-flow, T5 manual, J3 tune.

Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure After Oil Change
Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Sounds to me as though your oil pump relief spring is at fault, or your oil pump itself. How long between oil changes? If it has been left for a looonng time, dirt and rubbish may have clogged up the relief spring in the pump, and/or worn the pump itself. Low oil pressure often means stuffed big ends too......

Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure After Oil Change
Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

It could be the sender switch, they're known to play up and give those symptoms. Maybe clean it or try a spare one they're really easy tro to swap over

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]