Fordmods Logo

Oil pressure drop when driven on a hot day. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Oil pressure drop when driven on a hot day.
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:09 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Fairmont

NSW, Australia

G'day guys! I was wondering if anyone have an idea what's wrong with my I6. Today was a very hot day here in Western Sydney. As I was driving my 95 EF (mid-day), I noticed my oil pressure gauge was giving a very low reading...and when idling, it would go to the orange region and at one point gave off a beeping sound indicating very low oil pressure. This has been the second time it has occured, I ignored the previous one because it never happened again (on that day). I remember it was a very hot day (40degs) as well when it first happened. At these instances, my water temp reading is fairly normal...pointing at the letter 'M'. I am using 10-40W viscosity engine oil. This only happens when ambient temp approaches 40 degs.

Any ideas? Is it the engine oil? The heat? My oil pressure sender failing (in the heat)? Please help! Thanks in advance.

:D

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

how many k's on your engine? it could just be that the oil is thinning out enough to drop the oil pressure in a high km engine

Banned

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:18 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

also with heat teh oild can thin out more and the oil pump can find it hard to keep the pressure up witha thinner than normal oil

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

it's normal. all that is happening is your oil is getting hotter and thinner on those days. don't worry about it.

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

ahh nice, I've often wondered that and now I have the answer! cheers!

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:18 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Thanks heaps for the replies. So the issue at hand is thinning oil due to extreme heat. Does that mean I'm using the wrong engine oil viscousity? I'm currently using 10-40W viscousity engine oil and my engine k's is 150,000. Which one do you guys recommend? (10-40W, 5-40W,15-40W,15-50W...)?

Thanks again. :D

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

I am using 20w-50 with 180,000k's.

Its not normal for the pressure to drop that low even on hot days, mine only drops to about 4-5 mark on the gauge on 30+ days. If its dropping that low your engine is likely to be recieving very little oil!

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:00 am 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

how old is the oil ?

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

I think mine sits at about 2 bar, assuming thats what the gauge reads in. If mine ever dropped to the light, then id be getting worried. Regardless of k's that its done

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:08 am 
Site Admin

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Mine sits 2nd from the top from cold start at idle, at 5500rpm, and even on the hottest days.

Love synthetic oil and the high volume oil pump :)

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

So whos bragging now? :oops:

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:05 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: '98 EL XR8

NT, Australia

I don't think its a problem mate.

I change my oil quite frequently (20-50) and after it warms up the pressure on my guage drops also when the car is idling, but when it starts going again its in its usual spot.

The manual which came with the EA also states that the oil may read low when the engine is idling after it has heated up, nothing to worry about.

"...we can rebuild him, we have the technology... we just dont want to spend a lot of money."
SIX MILLION PESO FALCON

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:25 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

How old is the oil? I religiously have an oil and filter change every 4months or 5000kms whichever come first.

Yes, I've seen my oil pressure gauge go up and down before depending on temperature. But this time it just got me very worried 'coze the gauge lighted up and emmitted a beeping warning. This is my first summer with my EF 95 fairmont. I've driven the car 1000kms and back before on a winter but no problems. Now I just went to Bondi beach ( 1hr drive) on a 40deg day with fairly bit of traffic and I get the gauge warning everytime do idling on a stop light. I had to rev it up a little to stay above warning level.

From what I have read so far, I need a higher viscousity than the 10-40W I have been using. 15-50W would do for my 150000km engine? Does every one agree?

Thanks again.

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

95fairmont wrote:
How old is the oil? I religiously have an oil and filter change every 4months or 5000kms whichever come first.

Yes, I've seen my oil pressure gauge go up and down before depending on temperature. But this time it just got me very worried 'coze the gauge lighted up and emmitted a beeping warning. This is my first summer with my EF 95 fairmont. I've driven the car 1000kms and back before on a winter but no problems. Now I just went to Bondi beach ( 1hr drive) on a 40deg day with fairly bit of traffic and I get the gauge warning everytime do idling on a stop light. I had to rev it up a little to stay above warning level.

From what I have read so far, I need a higher viscousity than the 10-40W I have been using. 15-50W would do for my 150000km engine? Does every one agree?

Thanks again.

if the light came on i'd use a thicker oil like HPR 10 10w50 mine used to do that in summer when using 15w40 doesn't do it with HPR10

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

I have the same problem but we have checked the oil pressure and it seems to be OK. Have noticed the Volts very low at the same time so am looking into that as well. Have spent many hundred of $ at our local for garage with not luck.

Volts are always good when car is cold but drop off as the car gets hot. The days have to be in the 28-30 or I am towing the boat at the time.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next