Fordmods Logo

Oil pressure off the dial? 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: Oil pressure off the dial?
Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 591

Joined: 28th May 2011

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura DUH

Location: central coast
NSW, Australia

I have rebuilt my EF i6 recently and have fitted a reground cam with shims and a high volume oil pump among other things.
I ran it in on Penrite 15w-40 runing in oil and changed it out for Penrite HPR10w-50 at 200kms.
Until recently the oil pressure at idle was just below half way on the guage.
When revving it sat close to but not at the top.

Has done 5500kms since rebuild and now after about 5 minutes of running it creeps toward the top of the guage and stays there?

I plan to drop the oil this weekend and change the filter but is there anything else that could have caused this?

Other than possible oil starvation to the top end, can this be damaging to anything else?

 

_________________

1996 EF Futura factory manual
Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.
Future Mods: A mortgage...

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Oil pressure off the dial?
Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:09 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 7331

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

Location: ɹǝpun uʍop
NSW, Australia

your oil sender needs to be replaced. I had a similar issue after I did a build. did n't replace the sender and it went a bit haywire. Put a mechanical gauge on it and see what it reads. If that gets the same result, then yeah you have an issue.

I would put money on the sender needing replacement though.

 

_________________

Image

I have a car.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Oil pressure off the dial?
Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 591

Joined: 28th May 2011

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura DUH

Location: central coast
NSW, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
your oil sender needs to be replaced. I had a similar issue after I did a build. did n't replace the sender and it went a bit haywire. Put a mechanical gauge on it and see what it reads. If that gets the same result, then yeah you have an issue.

I would put money on the sender needing replacement though.


Brand new Tridon sender, replaced nearly everything I could. Cost me a fortune :lol:
This has been a consideration though.

Cheers

 

_________________

1996 EF Futura factory manual
Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.
Future Mods: A mortgage...

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Oil pressure off the dial?
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 836

Joined: 1st Apr 2005

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

Location: Auckland
New Zealand

Oil pressure relief valve re-assembled correctly? Have heard that doing it wrong can prevent the pressure being relieved, so it keeps building.

 

_________________

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA, QFM, KYB/Koni, AU block, ported EF head, SS Inductions, Territory intake, MLS gasket, milled, Franklin RH24B cam, Coby headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Oil pressure off the dial?
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:49 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 7331

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

Location: ɹǝpun uʍop
NSW, Australia

Put a mechanical gauge on there to test if it is working or an oil pressure issue though.

 

_________________

Image

I have a car.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Oil pressure off the dial?
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 591

Joined: 28th May 2011

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura DUH

Location: central coast
NSW, Australia

efxr6wagon wrote:
Oil pressure relief valve re-assembled correctly? Have heard that doing it wrong can prevent the pressure being relieved, so it keeps building.


Yeah, I almost missed this when I was assembling the engine.
Fitted a new one correctly and installed new O-ring.

Might have to invest in an Oil Pressure guage.

 

_________________

1996 EF Futura factory manual
Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.
Future Mods: A mortgage...

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Oil pressure off the dial?
Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:04 am 
Smokin em up
Offline

Posts: 215

Joined: 13th Apr 2009

Ride: BA 3VM

Location: Lwr Blue Mountains (Sydney)
NSW, Australia

EFFUTURA4.05SP wrote:
dc_todd wrote:
your oil sender needs to be replaced. I had a similar issue after I did a build. did n't replace the sender and it went a bit haywire. Put a mechanical gauge on it and see what it reads. If that gets the same result, then yeah you have an issue.

I would put money on the sender needing replacement though.


Brand new Tridon sender, replaced nearly everything I could. Cost me a fortune :lol:
This has been a consideration though.

Cheers


Did you replace the sender before the issue or after? Some senders work in opposite ways!
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Oil pressure off the dial?
Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:34 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 591

Joined: 28th May 2011

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura DUH

Location: central coast
NSW, Australia

BAWITHLOT wrote:
EFFUTURA4.05SP wrote:
dc_todd wrote:
your oil sender needs to be replaced. I had a similar issue after I did a build. did n't replace the sender and it went a bit haywire. Put a mechanical gauge on it and see what it reads. If that gets the same result, then yeah you have an issue.

I would put money on the sender needing replacement though.


Brand new Tridon sender, replaced nearly everything I could. Cost me a fortune :lol:
This has been a consideration though.

Cheers


Did you replace the sender before the issue or after? Some senders work in opposite ways!

It was replaced when I rebuilt the motor.

 

_________________

1996 EF Futura factory manual
Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.
Future Mods: A mortgage...

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Oil pressure off the dial?
Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:02 am 
Smokin em up
Offline

Posts: 215

Joined: 13th Apr 2009

Ride: BA 3VM

Location: Lwr Blue Mountains (Sydney)
NSW, Australia

I think you have bought the wrong sensor as the resistance range may be different!
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Oil pressure off the dial?
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 591

Joined: 28th May 2011

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura DUH

Location: central coast
NSW, Australia

BAWITHLOT wrote:
I think you have bought the wrong sensor as the resistance range may be different!


No I dont think so. It was good when it first went in just lately.

I still havn't ruled out the filter being blocked as I am flat broke ATM. I cant even afford to throw some new oil in her :| .

It doesn't help the oil I like (Penrite HPR10) has gone up in price by $10 becausse it has gone to a fully synthetic :evil:

 

_________________

1996 EF Futura factory manual
Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.
Future Mods: A mortgage...

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Oil pressure off the dial?
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 591

Joined: 28th May 2011

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura DUH

Location: central coast
NSW, Australia

So I bit the bullit and changed the Oil and Filter but the oil pressure is still reading very high (same as before).

Looks like I will have to order a new sender and claim this one as faulty.

 

_________________

1996 EF Futura factory manual
Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.
Future Mods: A mortgage...

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Oil pressure off the dial?
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:57 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 7331

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

Location: ɹǝpun uʍop
NSW, Australia

pull it out, and make sure its clean, check it has no crap in the end that could be providing the false reading. Its free to do that at least. May be fouled, possible a piece of gasket goop or someother debris has found its way in?

Take it out inspect and clean in petrol or similar.

 

_________________

Image

I have a car.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Oil pressure off the dial?
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 591

Joined: 28th May 2011

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura DUH

Location: central coast
NSW, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
pull it out, and make sure its clean, check it has no crap in the end that could be providing the false reading. Its free to do that at least. May be fouled, possible a piece of gasket goop or someother debris has found its way in?

Take it out inspect and clean in petrol or similar.


Will do. Not that it matters too much as I got it from work and it wont be a hassle to swap it over.
At least I can drive my car now knowing it doesn't have a blocked filter.

 

_________________

1996 EF Futura factory manual
Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.
Future Mods: A mortgage...

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Vicky and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:52 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names