Oil Pressure Problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Oil Pressure Problem
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:14 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 05 BA MKII XR8, 95 EF gli Wagon

NSW, Australia

Hi All,

I have had an oil pressure problem for a while but i havent really worried about it till yesterday. ( sump gasket was leaking quite a bit, but fixed now)

this problem has happened only twice before when my sump was leaking and i was pushing the car a little too hard and after a gear change it happened when the oil pressure dropped.

anyway what happened was, i was sitting traffic yesterday and the engine was starting to warm up a bit, about halfway on the temp guage, and my oil pressure gauge droped as per usual, but when i went to take off the timing chain tensioner had lost oil pressure and the chain was slaping really loud and the engine ran rough till the oil pressure built up again.( and no it is not the lifters this noise is different)

this kept happening till i could get out of the traffic.

also when the engine is cold is runs fine, the oil pressure always sits halfway on the guage on the dash but when hot can drop almost to 0. thats when the above happened.

the car is an EF, engine has done about 280k about 80k with the mods in my sig, and i use 20w50 oil.

is there any way i can increase oil pressure when the engine is hot?

sry for the huge post but i dont want my engine to go bang.

any help would be great.

Cheers
Bucko

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Firstly the oil pressure gauge is not known for its accuracy. Better to get a separate gauge attached to check pressure at idle when hot.

The problem with the chain may be the tensioner itself. It might not be getting enough oil into it at low revs. Maybe pull it out and give it a clean.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

madmax wrote:
Firstly the oil pressure gauge is not known for its accuracy. Better to get a separate gauge attached to check pressure at idle when hot.

The problem with the chain may be the tensioner itself. It might not be getting enough oil into it at low revs. Maybe pull it out and give it a clean.

Yeah what he said ^, but if that don't help, you may need a heavier oil to keep it going, like Penrite HPR 20 or 30.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:13 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

i have a very similer issue at the moment by the sounds of it.

low RPM chain rattle, pick up the revs ~1200+ and it stops.

ill be watching this thread

latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ef fairmont,

QLD, Australia

possibly broken guide so while the tenioner is a little low on oil pressur i.e idle its slapin up top and when under load more oil pressure is present a tightening the chain just that little bit more to stop the rattle

95 ef montfor sale pm for info, 88 hilux mud truck

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:48 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 05 BA MKII XR8, 95 EF gli Wagon

NSW, Australia

Quote:

i know the gauge is not very accurate, that why i dont pay much attenetion to it as it has always gone up and down, i only paid atention to where the gauge was when the chain started slapping.

Quote:
you may need a heavier oil to keep it going, like Penrite HPR 20 or 30.

i am already using 20W-50 oil, i dont really want to use anything heavier unless it will work.

Quote:
possibly broken guide so while the tenioner is a little low on oil pressur i.e idle its slapin up top and when under load more oil pressure is present a tightening the chain just that little bit more to stop the rattle

all the guides and tensioner are only about 3-4 months old and done around 8000km

ill pull the tensioner out on the weekend and give it a clean and see what happens.

as the head has been shaved a bit hence the main cause for the chain slap as there is a little more slack in the chain.

i read somewhere that the spring in the tensioner is what is supposed to do the work at low rpm. would there be any problems if the tensioner was shimmed to make it sit closer to the chain?

cheers
Bucko

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

how did you go with this? im having this exact problem atm. guides OK, but low tension @ low RPM = rattle that goes away once warm or revs rise.

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Moreys Oil Additive is the champ for getting rid of piston slap, timing chain noise and lifter noise and many other mechanical oil or wear related noises, as well as raising oil pressure. I would use half a bottle and see if that gets rid of your noises guys. I have used it in several cars and bikes and find it is well worth the money. And no, I dont work for them or sell the stuff.

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon

QLD, Australia

just wondering what this noise sounds like. is it a high pitch rattle or something like that, i may have the same thing but only at really low idle

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:30 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

next time dont buy an ex cab? :lol:

ED V8, Evolution ends here

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]