Fordmods Logo

Oil pressure sender mod 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Oil pressure sender mod
Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EBII Falcon GLi

WA, Australia

G'day there fellow fordies. Have a problem with my Oil pressure sender body on my 4.0 EBII. I have replaced the standard Falcon one with the larger Fairmont/S pack sender that goes with the sports/Fairmont dash gauge cluster and I can't work out a way to tighten he sensor up firmly into the block as I have big hands and access is so tight. Is there a specal tool, or any suggestions on tool mods?
Any help appreciated. Cheers. :roll:

EBII GLi sedan 4.0 MPEFI, high series head unit, C**k green, ABS, EB sedan 4.0 MPEFI, red, stock

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

I take it you are referring to the Oil Pressure Sender that looks a bit like a large mushroom? It has a long nut shaft and a big round head.

Use a 15mm open end spanner to tighten it up. You may have to jack the car up and access it from underneath the car. The log manifold is a b**ch when trying to access items underneath it. Just wait until you have to replace the coil, or change the dizzy cap or ignitin leads.

Good Luck

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:29 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Thanks Ben, yep the sender is the one you refer to ( mushroom looking ). I have had the car jacked up and tried to access the sender but my arms won't fit. I'll get a 15 mm open ender and bend it a bit if I have to. A good tip for one off tool purchases is Cash Converters or similar Hock Shop's ( I scored Kinchrome open end spanners for $2.50 each this way )

EBII GLi sedan 4.0 MPEFI, high series head unit, C**k green, ABS, EB sedan 4.0 MPEFI, red, stock

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I kind of made a temporary tool to do the job.. was basically a spanner taped to a big flat head screwdriver on a slight angle.. used the screw driver to feed the spanner down between the intake runners and onto the head of the shaft.. then got some fingers onto the top of the spanner and moved it.. worked slow, but was the only way as I'd just spent an hour under the car trying to get my hands up from under (I have size 16 feet and hands to match so you can imagine the difficulty)

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:05 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Thanks a lot frankieh, good idea. Since posting I have got my engine going and there doesn't seem to be a leak but the gauge is reading low pressure ( between 2nd and 3rd marks on dial ) to me. Is this low pressure ? I'll give your idea a go and/or get a new sender...
Cheers mate

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

My hands aren't as big as Frank's but I found it easier to fit [ from below] after removing the oil filter [same MO for the LH engine mounting also]
Cheers,
Paul
PS: I don't think that pressures too low.

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Toyota Supra RZ

VIC, Australia

EBIIexpress wrote:
Thanks a lot frankieh, good idea. Since posting I have got my engine going and there doesn't seem to be a leak but the gauge is reading low pressure ( between 2nd and 3rd marks on dial ) to me. Is this low pressure ? I'll give your idea a go and/or get a new sender...
Cheers mate

hey mate

if you have a pre EF with a EF-on oil pressure sender it will always read very low.

i assume u didnt do this though :)

Post subject: Re: Oil pressure sender mod
Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:17 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF MKIII XR inspired wagon

QLD, Australia

EBIIexpress wrote:
G'day there fellow fordies. Have a problem with my Oil pressure sender body on my 4.0 EBII. I have replaced the standard Falcon one with the larger Fairmont/S pack sender that goes with the sports/Fairmont dash gauge cluster and I can't work out a way to tighten he sensor up firmly into the block as I have big hands and access is so tight. Is there a specal tool, or any suggestions on tool mods?
What? You mean to say that you actually got the original unit off????? I've tried a few different ways to remove the old idiot light sender unit to replace it with the oil pressure can unit (oil filter off, tube spanner etc) but I can't get enough swing on the spanner to even budge it!!! Someone on AFF mentioned to remove the gold coloured bracket under the manifold to gain more room but I haven't tried that yet. Until I get it fixed, I'll continue to look at an oil pressure gauge that reads full scale LOL....cheers Linz.

Post subject: Re: Oil pressure sender mod
Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:18 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

EBIIexpress wrote:
What? You mean to say that you actually got the original unit off????? I've tried a few different ways to remove the old idiot light sender unit to replace it with the oil pressure can unit (oil filter off, tube spanner etc) but I can't get enough swing on the spanner to even budge it!!! Someone on AFF mentioned to remove the gold coloured bracket under the manifold to gain more room but I haven't tried that yet. Until I get it fixed, I'll continue to look at an oil pressure gauge that reads full scale LOL....cheers Linz.

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:25 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

D@^n double posts....what's happened to the delete "X" at the top right side of messages?????

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

there is a special socket for the idit light switches,,work well.

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:46 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Hey there linz. Yes I did get the original one off by jacking up the car and removing the oil filter (( as suggeted here but I already put a new one on and filled the engine with fresh oil )) using an open end spanner. From memory this was pretty easy but the car was jacked high.

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:59 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Thanks for your hlp Glenneaux. I bought the sender from a local wrecker and it had "EA" texta'd on the side. I'm pretty sure that it's not the EF one ( isn't this a little smaller ?? ) as at the time of purchase I saw some pics on ebay from memory.

Is there a way to test the sender with a multimeter ? I bought a little cheapie from DSE but don't really know how to use it. Any help appreciated but thanks for your tip anyway mate !!

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

naughtyfalcon wrote:
there is a special socket for the idit light switches,,work well.
Hey mate, can you give me any details about where to buy one or what it looks like? I tried to use a tube socket but had no luck...cheers Linz.

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

The socket to use for the idiot light sender is a 1/2' drive x 1" [one inch] impact socket. Fits perfect works a treat.
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next