Fordmods Logo

Oil Pressure Warning Light 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Oil Pressure Warning Light
Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6

Ok guys, got a strange problem.
When I had the old motor in my EB, the low oil pressure warning light would come on for about 2-3 seconds after starting the car from cold. After that it would disappear until you cold start it again.
The new motor I had put in the car, was from an EA that had a sports dash (and thus an oil pressure sender). My car has the digital dash with the low oil pressure warning light (which requires an oil pressure switch).

When I first got the new motor in the car, the low oil pressure warning light would come on for 2-3 seconds as it did with the old motor, as well as staying slightly illuminated at all times (not flashing or beeping, just a constant, dim light).
I assumed this would be because of the wrong sender/switch, but I had the correct switch fitted yesterday and its made no difference. Warning light still comes on when cold-starting, and the light stays dimly lit at all times.
Now its a fully rebuilt motor so I very much doubt that it has oil pressure problems, any ideas what would be causing this issue?

All other dash functions work fine except for a globe that blew recently (unrelated) and my low coolant level sensor being disconnected making it flash constantly.

EL XR6 Manual
Tickford Kit, 18" ANZ's, Kings SL/SSL & Sachs.

Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Warning Light
Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:24 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Any ideas?
Does anyone have photo's or part numbers for either the oil pressure switch or sender just so I can confirm the bloke at Repco gave me the right part?

EL XR6 Manual

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well, I can give you the Part number for the genuine FORD part and it is ASW102, it is a small switch with a single male spade terminal fitting on it. The Oil sender is no longer available from Ford and was p/n ASW114.

The Oil Sender for an oil gauge looked like a a big round cylinder about 50-60mm in diameter and the same size in height. Are you sure that you have the right wires hooked up? have you done an OIL pressure test to find if the engine has good oil pressure? Lastly, what sort of Oil filter are you using?

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:39 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

It sounds like you need to run a t -piece fitting and an oil pressure switch and an oil pressure sender and probably you will need to run another wire to your instrument panel from the oil pressure sender.Ok ?Let us knowhow you get on.Kevman

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:50 am 
Stock as a Rock

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.
New switch was put on when car was serviced recently. Used Penrite HPR15 15W-60 and Ryco Z9 filter.
I havent manually checked the oil pressure but the motor has less than 15,000kms since full rebuild so Id be pretty surprised (and p****d) if that was the case.

Kevman: Are you sure thats needed? I was under the impression that as long as you use the right sensor with the right dash cluster, it should all be plug and play.

It seems that the description Papa Smurf gives of the sender, is very similar to the part I bought.
Im guessing Ive been given the wrong part.
I'll try to grab a photo or part number to confirm.

EL XR6 Manual

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:49 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

ok to test your oil pressure switch,disconnect it and put one side of a test light to the positive terminal of the battery and the other end to the oil switch .The test light should be glowing and then start the car and the test light should not glow.If it doesn't turn the light off completely then you either have [a] very bad oil pressure or [b] the wrong switch.Does the digital dash only have an oil light or light and gauge? AND DO some basic tests like check your oil level!and the quality of your oil .Do you do regular services? ie change the oil and filter :) Cheers Kevman

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:35 am 
Stock as a Rock

hi kevman: digital dash only has low oil pressure warning light, no guage.
Only picked up this motor recently but very intent on keeping it well maintained. This was the first oil change since Ive had it so Im going to run this oil for 5000km and then replace with Nulon or Penrite full synthetic. Always used the standard Ryco filter.
99% sure its a sensor or ECU problem, now just a case of determining which.

EL XR6 Manual

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]