Post subject: OILS AINT OILS...
Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:07 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: au2 futura 75th anniversary edit

NSW, Australia

i need to change the oil in my au2 futura and i was wondering
wat type of oil i should use.

wat oils do u guys use and wat works best?

ive been taking my car to ford to tryn keep my books in good order
but im kinda sick of them f**k me around,
so im gonna start servicing it myself (as much as i can, anyway)

its about 5 years old and its got about 140k on the clock.
last time i got the oil changed i used either penrite or penzoil (i forget
which) with the 'made in u.s.a' stamp on it
and it seemed to work well. im pretty sure it was 10/30.

should i maybe start using a higher viscosity?
wat do u guys recommend?

cheers

This is Ford country.
On a quiet day
you can hear the
HOLDENS RUSTING...

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

if it worked and you're happy with keep with it, there is no need to change.

just because it 140 000km on it doesn't mean it worn out.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

Perfect advice from tickford_6.

To add to what was said, I would suggest using what the factory recommends. If you want to take a bit more care of your car, do oil change intervals of 8,000km instead of the recommended 10,000km.

Anything more is pissing in the wind. Same goes for synthetic oils for these dinosaur motors with tolerances measured in the millimeters, not micrometers

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Bozz wrote:
To add to what was said, I would suggest using what the factory recommends. If you want to take a bit more care of your car, do oil change intervals of 8,000km instead of the recommended 10,000km

I thought AU's had a recomended oil change of 15,000km's due to the larger (7.5ltire) sump?

Anyone able to tell me what the number after the W of the oil means? I how the number before the W is the weight, e.g. 15W-40, weight is 15. And the 40 is the viscosity isn't it, has soemething to do with a temperature of the oil thinning out? But what does that 40 mean? What's the advantage or running a 40 instead of a 50?

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:50 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

I do mine every 5000 kays.. but then I see big revs regularly.. I use HPR 30
really good oil presure..
always comes out clean.

I have a car.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Bozz wrote:
To add to what was said, I would suggest using what the factory recommends. If you want to take a bit more care of your car, do oil change intervals of 8,000km instead of the recommended 10,000km

I thought AU's had a recomended oil change of 15,000km's due to the larger (7.5ltire) sump?

Anyone able to tell me what the number after the W of the oil means? I how the number before the W is the weight, e.g. 15W-40, weight is 15. And the 40 is the viscosity isn't it, has soemething to do with a temperature of the oil thinning out? But what does that 40 mean? What's the advantage or running a 40 instead of a 50?

Taken from the Castrol Web site,

A monograde is an oil whose viscosity is defined at only one temperature, either high or low. A multigrade must meet both high and low temperature viscosity requirements simultaneously. This makes multigrades an easy and popular year-round choice for drivers who experience hot summers and harsh winters. They are easily recognized by the dual viscosity designation (i.e. 10W-30 where the 10W is the low temperature, or winter designation and the 30 is the high temperature designation). It is the viscosity modifier additive that produces a thickening effect at high temperatures but is dormant at low temperatures.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

madmax wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
Bozz wrote:

A monograde is an oil whose viscosity is defined at only one temperature, either high or low. A multigrade must meet both high and low temperature viscosity requirements simultaneously. This makes multigrades an easy and popular year-round choice for drivers who experience hot summers and harsh winters. They are easily recognized by the dual viscosity designation (i.e. 10W-30 where the 10W is the low temperature, or winter designation and the 30 is the high temperature designation). It is the viscosity modifier additive that produces a thickening effect at high temperatures but is dormant at low temperatures.

taken from one of my posts in a different thread. ( can also be found in about 10 other threads i have explained it in)

the first number is the cold weight. and the second number is the hot wieght.

what all of this means is that when COLD the a 20w50 has the properties of a COLD 20W oil.
when HOT a 20w50 has the properties of a HOT 50W

so the oil still thins out but only as far as a 50w oil would.

a cold 20w60 oil would be the same as a cold 20w50
but it would be thicker then the 20W50 when they are both hot.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
madmax wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
Bozz wrote:

taken from one of my posts in a different thread. ( can also be found in about 10 other threads i have explained it in)

Actually I got that from one of my own posts in another thread. :wink:

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

madmax wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
madmax wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
Bozz wrote:

yeah it was the same thread

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
madmax wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
madmax wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
Bozz wrote:

yeah it was the same thread

Quoting just to make the post look like someone pointing a video camera at a TV.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]