Fordmods Logo

Ok, Can it be something wrong with the engine ? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Ok, Can it be something wrong with the engine ?
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA

VIC, Australia

Hey guys

My story goes as this, I rev'd my car out to redline in 3rd not that long ago, and the temperature guage shot up, just after redline, then it slowly climbs down to operating temp, after spending loads of money on everything in the cooling system, it still does it, now when not booting it, it only really flucuates, up and down, but doesnt go that high, but as soon as u give the engine hell, the temp climbs up to half way, the cools down slowly, but heres the thing, after it shot up just tonite after i tested it again, it crept down a little bit but didnt go back down to normal operating temp area, untill you stop it creeps down very slowly...

I have the EA-ED style tacho, as soon as the motors pushed to high revs, bang the temperature guage goes up to 1/2 temp?, can it be a faulty temperature guage on the tacho ?

Any thoughts ?
As for cooling system, dont ask what ive replaced, as ive replaced EVERYTHING, so the only thing i can think of now, is , damage to the bottom end, or the tacho is stuffed....I used to be able to give my car loads and loads of calder runs and the needle would only move a little bit just after the 400 m mark, this is shooting up to 1/2 temp....

Ford Falcon EA Naturally Aspirated 4.0L i6
13.797 @ 157.16km/h (Limiter Bounce)

1/4 Mile Video

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:21 am 
Stock as a Rock

Power: 192 rwkw

SA, Australia

sound electrical 2 me

engine earth etc

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:23 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 95 EF I

VIC, Australia

just a thought (no idea really just thinking out loud) could your water pump be cavatating, is that the word? where its spinning so fast it doesnt actually pump water how it should? just a thought though i really have no idea!

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Have you done any more performance mods to your car since last summer?, becuase it is starting to get hot and maybe the extra stress or power coming from the engine is making more heat? just a thought

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:31 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: AU Futura

VIC, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
Have you done any more performance mods to your car since last summer?, becuase it is starting to get hot and maybe the extra stress or power coming from the engine is making more heat? just a thought

This sounds plausible, i had a supra before my AU and it was fine until i started giving it a bit during hot days and the temp gauge would hit 3/4 mark.
Then it would continue to happen during normal driving conditions not to the same degree. In the end they fitted a Thermofan i thinks its called problem disappeared straight away.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yes i have replaced water pump, and radiator, and everything in the cooling system to hoses to thermostat

this all happened on a cold night, and last night was freezgin and it still did it, i can confirm outside temp has nothing to do with it

1/4 Mile Video

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:42 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Sorry i think you misunderstand me, the weather can be a contributing factor but it is not the overall cause my problem was the fan was not moving the air out the engine bay efficiently enough to keep the engine cool, hence the spikes when power was applied. The thermofan helped immensely, i dont know if this could help you but yeah just a suggestion....

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

ACT, Australia

dyno_phoenix wrote:
Sorry i think you misunderstand me, the weather can be a contributing factor but it is not the overall cause my problem was the fan was not moving the air out the engine bay efficiently enough to keep the engine cool, hence the spikes when power was applied. The thermofan helped immensely, i dont know if this could help you but yeah just a suggestion....

Clutch fan is slipping too much?

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

1/2 temp is "NORMAL" mate, dont worry about it till its in the red.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:12 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

locknut wrote:
dyno_phoenix wrote:

Clutch fan is slipping too much?

Not sure man, all i know is the other one got installed and it was fixed.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

huge discover, i hooked up a coke bottle to my overflow hose (it usually hangs down and leaks onto the chassy) and whilst driving, its letting coolant out of the coolant resevoir, not much but its letting some out (~100mls so far), and today wen i got home i riped the over flow hose off and looked in the bottle threw the plastic overflow nipple and sore air bubbling (pressure coming out threw the cap)

Im using a bursons NEW coolant resevoir cap

& I dont have a headgasket leak!

Can anyone confirm, 110kpa is alright ? Bursons brand....

1/4 Mile Video

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA xr8 Magnet ute

VIC, Australia

it sounds electrical to me..... iv got cam etc etc and i redline all the time with no worries

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Grechie wrote:
huge discover, i hooked up a coke bottle to my overflow hose (it usually hangs down and leaks onto the chassy) and whilst driving, its letting coolant out of the coolant resevoir, not much but its letting some out (~100mls so far), and today wen i got home i riped the over flow hose off and looked in the bottle threw the plastic overflow nipple and sore air bubbling (pressure coming out threw the cap)

Im using a bursons NEW coolant resevoir cap

& I dont have a headgasket leak!

Can anyone confirm, 110kpa is alright ? Bursons brand....

cap should be 120kpa.
You might want to buy a temp gauge and fit it to a spare fitting in the thermostat housing.
mount the gauge next to your in dash one and see if it moves the same.

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

thermostat is ignored at wot, so it could just be that lack of cooling. these cars are known to heat up with normal driving, so im not suprised that its increase in heat when giving a thrashing.
im not saying theres nothing wrong, there most lickly is, but i doubt its doing alot of harm

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

4dlvr wrote:
thermostat is ignored at wot,

hey?????

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next