Fordmods Logo

ok how much am i looking at 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: ok how much am i looking at
Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: VT Calais 5L

QLD, Australia

ok on the weekend me n a few mate headed off to black duck for a weekend moto ride, half way there the car started playing up, like when i put my foot down she got real slughish and dosile, and was going through fuel and water like a worked 8, anyway on closer inspection i noticed i had water commin out my exhaust (head gasket) anyway filled it up again (8L of water) and the same thing, well mum took it down to the mechanics this morning and sure enough its the head gasket, but they also said i have cracked a cyl head...i thought if i did that then the car wouldn't work at all?? oh well they told the old girl $1200 - $1500 for a gasket and cyl head WTF now im not stupid thats a f**k ripoff and a half, so what do you guys n gals think, get it fixed or go to the wreckers and pick me up a new engine...mabey an el or au xr6 engine, the costs are about the same anyway plus a better engine would be nice to

Cars: EB Fairmont 5spd 3.9L**sold**
VT Calais 98' 195i V8 - lux n power in 1

Bikes: 05 Honda CR250R

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Toyota Supra RZ

VIC, Australia

thats not outrageous. head is meant to be like $500-600 and you gotta remember labour is the killer.

And remember its LOTS of work for the AU motor and if you get an EL motor its probably gonna do the same thing eventually. If you're gonna goto that extent why not just do the head gasket yourself? :)

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

glenneaux wrote:
thats not outrageous. head is meant to be like $500-600 and you gotta remember labour is the killer.

And remember its LOTS of work for the AU motor and if you get an EL motor its probably gonna do the same thing eventually. If you're gonna goto that extent why not just do the head gasket yourself? :)

is it really lots of work to fit an AU motor, there's a few people on here have said it will fit quite smug and the el is a straight swap, either way it's gonna be an xr6 motor, yea it probably will happen to an el motor as well but it will still happen to my eb one too, i could do the gasket myself no worries but i have also cracked a cyl head which i know sfa about.

im just thinking, because the engine i have in now is 3.9 and it's just s**t it's got nothing, plus it's always got a problem with it so why not just do a conversion,
anyway im keen on the au but if it's to much stuffing around then i'll go the el.

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:03 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Just had my head replaced, spark plugs done, fixed a few minor things and 5 dyas labour..

$1150.60

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

If they are replacing the head then a quote of $1200 is about right.

However if it just a head gasket and machining then $700- $800 is normal.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB2

VIC, Australia

how do they know if its a cracked head when its still in the car could be just the gasket

Post subject: Re: ok how much am i looking at
Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Heeno wrote:
ok on the weekend me n a few mate headed off to black duck for a weekend moto ride, half way there the car started playing up, like when i put my foot down she got real slughish and dosile, and was going through fuel and water like a worked 8, anyway on closer inspection i noticed i had water commin out my exhaust (head gasket) anyway filled it up again (8L of water) and the same thing, well mum took it down to the mechanics this morning and sure enough its the head gasket, but they also said i have cracked a cyl head...i thought if i did that then the car wouldn't work at all?? oh well they told the old girl $1200 - $1500 for a gasket and cyl head WTF now im not stupid thats a f**k ripoff and a half, so what do you guys n gals think, get it fixed or go to the wreckers and pick me up a new engine...mabey an el or au xr6 engine, the costs are about the same anyway plus a better engine would be nice to

it might cost the same to buy the engine, but thats all you'll get an engine in a crate. you'll then need to get it in the car..

the 1200 to 1500 including a replacment head is reasonable price.
why not get them to get an XR6 head as the replacment one.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ok after some thought, i've decided just to go with a reco engine from the wreckers down the road, it will most probably be an EL engine, hopefully an XR6 one, and get them to fit it or should i take it up to my mechanic for him to do it? i have a pretty good thing with my mech cuz we take all our cars to him for servicing and fixing plus im pretty sure he's mates with the wreckers, so would that be the better option? or just get the wreckers to do it all, im just after some personal experience with which ways you guys went about it.

cheers all

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF & VTR1000

NSW, Australia

i'd get a few different quotes, dont jump on the first thing you find.. goodluck man

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6t

NSW, Australia

au motor isnt too hard to fit, it just requires some grinding off the front of the sump. el xr6 would be the shot though, just run all your intake manifold and accesseries and the conversion will be easy as. I got a few quotes to fit a el engine in my ea and they were all around the $300 mark.

Rides:
-Ba xr6t, wog cooler, K&N pod on custom intake, battery moved to other side, flash, custom cooler piping, presons auto, car pc, 19" lenso speed 6, going for 300rwkw
-FZR 250- run around bike

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

WA, Australia

Do everything yourself.
A new head costs $500
gaskets and stuff we'll put in another $200

thats half off the costs saved
its an easy job just time consuming.

check this thread out, I'm getting there with mine:
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15718

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

cool cheers all,

damn i just can't make up my mind, now im thinking of just getting some good pistons and putting them in, along with a new gasket of course, what are some good piston brands you guys know of and where i can get some?

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF & VTR1000

NSW, Australia

CP is one, fairly expensive though. might as well go all out and boost it! :p

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]