Only running on 3 cylinders ?! 

Page 2 of 5 [ 71 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:31 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

tjb45 wrote:
EF are Sequential injection aren’t they..
They were wired up that way, but AFAIK they still fire three injectors as per the other E series I6's.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Last edited by snap0964 on Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:18 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: falcon eb

WA, Australia

r u getting ne spark to the first 3 plugs at all ?

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:24 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

I did amend my last post - the injectors should fire as banks of 3, i.e. 1,3,5 or 2,4,6, even though EF I6's are wired for sequential. If one injector is shut down due to no spark, the other coil fed one will be also, 1,6 or 2,5 or 3,4, unlike a dizzy setup where all 3 in the bank are shut down. This is if a primary coil has failed.
There is a limp home feature for the ECU, it's called limited operating strategy (LOS) - it happens if there's an internal fault with the ECU.
A couple of features (there are more) are that timing is set at 0degrees, and all 6 injectors fire at the same time. Might explain why there's fuel coming out the back.
I'd say easiest way to check this is put a timing light on and increase the revs - if timing stays at zero, then it will be in LOS.
As mentioned, I'd be interested too as to which cylinders you are getting spark - can check that with a timing light as well. What about fault codes ??

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:52 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: E-Hybrid Falcon

NSW, Australia

i thought they were fired in two banks (1,6) & (2-5) or is that just earlier models ?

crow cam,cai,exaust,bbm,190 reg & el injectors,xr6 interior,guages,white cluster,pioneer/mtx stereo,big boot install w.i.p, 17"rims,koni/pedders shocks&springs with nolathane re-bush,ssv kit,stainless inserts,clear lights,t5 & short shifter,chardonay/pearl paint

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Futura Wagon

QLD, Australia

Did this ever get solved? Quite an interesting read except we are missing the 'last page' so to speak.

cheers
Scott

If it doesn't fit, jam it. If that doesn't work use a hammer. - Engineers Motto

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Nope, I'm still on my honeymoon (posting from a mountain lodge in yosemite national park actually!)

I'm still away for another 2 weeks and then I've got 2 days off when I get back to try and get it going. I dunno what else I can try though - everything relating to timing and spark has been checked by the auto electrician...

The only fault code registered was the cam angle sensor, which was replaced and now the fault code is gone but that didnt fix it.

One thing has happened though, through fiddling with it its now running alot worse than it was before. Before it was running rough and down a little on power but would still get up and go. Now I have to really rev it to get it moving at all and its a struggle just to get it to 60 ks.

Everyone who's looked at it is scratching their head but surely there's only so many things it could be...

The only thing that hasnt been checked is the trigger wheel that the crank angle sensor reads off. It looks clean and in good condition from what I can see of it but I can't see all of it short of removing the harmonic balancer... The sparkies said they had a perfect signal from the CAS though so its probably not that.

If I cant get someone to sort it soon one of my last options is to convert it back to dizzy and bypass everything, run my own looms from the sensors and injectors and wire it all up to run off a megasquirt.

Obviously thats a bit of stuffing around though so I'd rather not going down that path if its a relatively simple fix, but so far no one can find it! :cry:

ImageImage

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 2003 BA XT

Power: 141 rwkw

WA, Australia

It's a shame, and it is an interesting read.

Also EF's are not sequential, I think they are bank fire?

Afaik, Au's were sequential below 3000rpm then went back to bank fire, and BA onwards are true sequential.

Hopefully it's something easy you have just overlooked and it's easy enough to fix.

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I had similar problem that I posted about a while ago. Fixed it (so I thought) by cleaning the Crank Angle Sensor. Then it started playing up again. It is now completely fixed and idles smooth enough to balance a coin on the rocker cover.

Trouble is I don't know exactly what was the problem as I tried quite a few before starting the car again. This is what I did...

Pulled the ECU and dissassembled to check the caps. All were good and I gave them a wiggle to see if there were any dry solder joints. It actually looks like it has been rebuilt not too long ago.

Plugged the ECU back in (but left out) and re did the ground. Back probed the ECU harness for Coolant temp sensor, crank angle sensor and the three coil feeds. All within specks.

Pulled the Crank Angle Sensor (again) and cleaned the ring teeth (rotating engine to check for all teeth). Checked CAS resistance between 300-400 Ohms. Cleaned connections. Reinstalled.

Removed intake and found a crack in the gasket. Gooped it up and reinstalled.

Cleaned Air filter.

Re did all the leads, ie took off and tightened all the connections.

Started car and it ran purrrrfect.

Something worked.

cheers
Scott

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:52 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: E-Hybrid Falcon

NSW, Australia

sounds stupid but do you have a standard cat ? have you checked it's not blocked up ?

crow cam,cai,exaust,bbm,190 reg & el injectors,xr6 interior,guages,white cluster,pioneer/mtx stereo,big boot install w.i.p, 17"rims,koni/pedders shocks&springs with nolathane re-bush,ssv kit,stainless inserts,clear lights,t5 & short shifter,chardonay/pearl paint

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL Fairmont

SA, Australia

3cyl sounds like an injector problem. It could be 3 injectors are totaly earthed out and as such are constantly spraying killing any spark.

Its an odd one thats forsure.

Soo many idiots. So few bullets

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

are you sure it's running on 3 cylinders?
have you individually checked each lead for a solid spark?? and all 6 injectors for a pulse?

could it be bad fuel, a crook fuel pressure reg, pinched line, faulty injector/s, faulty plugs?

was the crank angle sensor replaced?

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

my money says its a transistor in the ecu. we had the same problem with an ef. no spark on 2 4 6 if i recall correctly. tried another ecu problem solved.

appologies i just read the rest of the thread...
1 2 & 3 is really odd. that i havent seen...

good luck with it..
mitch

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Mine was missing on 3 (4,5,6). It was an irregular miss on 4 and 5 and a real solid miss on 6. Unfortunately when I finally solved the problem I had tried 5 or 6 things at once..... One of them worked.

cheers
Scott

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

How do you clean the crank angle sensor? And you checked the teeth MacGyver? I'm lost. I'm not even 100% where it even is.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

You should buy or borrow a copy of Gregories EFI & ENGINE MANAGMENT Volumn 3 and read all about your injection system and how to find and test for problems it is very help[ful and written so anyone can understand (with illustrations ) :D :D :D

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 5  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next