Fordmods Logo

Opinions on a BA falcon 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Opinions on a BA falcon
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:07 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford futura

SA, Australia

Hey all, im debating weather i should get a vy commodore or a BA falcon, i just wanted some opinions on the BA falcon, like how its runs, what are the major problems than can occur, fuel efficency, E.T.C

What are the BA's actually like?

Post subject: Re: Opinions on a BA falcon
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 1990 XF Ute

VIC, Australia

what type of BA XR,fairmont etc....

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

well if he was going for a fairmont,fairlane or xr id say expect to pay round 8-10k

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

was thinking about a BA futura.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

andy011611 wrote:
Hey all, im debating weather i should get a vy commodore or a BA falcon, i just wanted some opinions on the BA falcon, like how its runs, what are the major problems than can occur, fuel efficency, E.T.C

What are the BA's actually like?

if the radiator is the factory one than chances are it will leak between the coolant and trans cooler and will mix the coolant with trans fluid which can/ will ruin the trans, also they seem to get rust in the boot area where the boot struts go etc.. and the btr transmission has the same issues from the earlier falcons of heat killing them so make sure its been serviced on time or drives ok , if it doesnt already have one get an aftermarket trans cooler kit, this will fix the coolant and trans fluid mixing and the heat issue of the btr transmission, also the diff can be a problem in the ba. or so ive herd, they go bang every 100,000 kms. i havent owned one so i cant really speak for this type of car but its just a list of things to look out for

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF wagon

NSW, Australia

Ash wrote:

Keep in mind, even though most think of a BA as a late model car, they are in fact going to be hitting the 10 year old mark this new year. Making them now fall into Ford's cutoff point where they don't give a f**k about replacement parts. Even though much will still be interchangeable between later BA/BF's, they are now considered an old car and past their shelf life.

2013. Au is still 2002, BA's were late 03.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Not is a rush to get one at this moment, will be looking at around $5-8000k. i think most of the BA's are around that with 150-250k km. Although i did see a BF the other day with 160000 km or so it was around 9k.

Ill be after a wagon.

I have thought about a new model like an FG series but isnt the wheelbase smaller on them.

Thats the only reason ive decided on a ba or bf because i need the room to fit a wheelchair and more, i need something with good storage space.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:57 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford BA FUTURA 2002Ded Gas Wagon

VIC, Australia

The Falcon Wagon is WAY better in both room and reliability 8-) . Also the PLUS with the wagon is that the SLACK ASSES :| at ford barely made any changes other than front sheet metal from the 2002 model all the way to the last 2010 :shock: model so parts should stay current for a while yet. The dashes, front seats, door cards etc... interchange between the sedan and wagaon and the front sheet metal is also compatible. The tail gate and doors are shared all the way from the AU :shock: with I think only outer door moulding changes. The only things I would do as soon as you get it is, fit an external Trans cooler, (Safer than the integrated one), get a new Steering wheel as the original now should be fairly worn from regual use and check the brakes out. (if warped or heavy worn, get some slotted disks and good pads.) The door actuators may develop a problem but these are relatively cheap to replace now, and if you get a Dedicated Gas vehicle get the converter checked as it will be close to the end of its life if you get an early vehicle.

I'm constantly surrounded by IDIOTS!!
Guns and Rockets mounted on cars? Vote NOW on Licence reforms.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Yea im prob leaning towards a BA or BF, just waiting for money from insurance company, our EL was a total write of only a few months ago from a truck pulling out in front of us on a freeway.

In the years ive been driving ive had an XD, XE, NA fairlane, EF sedan and wagon, and an EL wagon.

the Transmission went on the NA and the EF wagon and the head went on the EF wagon and EL, but was prob because i bought em cheaper.

This time im going for a more expensive one in the hope im not doing it all again.

:'( i miss my EL, spent 6k in total on it.

Prob meant to happen so i can upgrade.... :)

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1993 Ford Fairlane

VIC, Australia

My BA is a nice car (although multicoloured at the moment :/)
The brakes tend to vibrate in these though, apparently due to the abs or something I dunno haha.
Haven't really had any issues with it

My EB fairmont was a better car I reckon.

1993 NCII Fairlane
Mods to come:
V8 - SLs - exhaust - DC LTD leather - LTD grill and garnish - LTD wood grain - body colour trim - wheels - tinted windows

1991 NCI Fairlane
Mods to come:
4.0L - lows - exhaust - NCII seats - NCII door trims - LTD grill - body colour trim - wheels - window tint

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

dylby1 wrote:
My EB fairmont was a better car I reckon.

good old box cars

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

compared to a holden, how many KM can these do without the engine needing work?

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

The EL we had, it had the head done and it had 300000km on the clock athough it had a change over engine. Anyway when that was done, i had a compression test done and each cylinder was with 5 PSI of each other, was a perfect engine at so many k's.

The VR commodore i have atm has almost 500000km and already has had work done on the engine, so i was told when i bought it.

So i think i could agree with you ASH, 2-300000km on a falcon is still a baby, thats what the mechanic told me, hes the one that is part owner of the taxis here.

ive just had so many problems with ford in the past, but prob due to the cars not being looked after properly.

Love my fords :D

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

if u regualy maintain ur car and fix things when needed they will last forever ....well not quite lol but u know what i mean make sure u use coolant and not water thats a big factor too

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next