Fordmods Logo

Overheating ED 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Overheating ED
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:03 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Hi all,

Just purchased an ED Farimont and just having a couple of dramas. The temp of the car is perfect when moving but when sitting at lights or in a drive through she starts to warm up very quickly. I dont let it get too hot before i shut it down then start her up and away we go.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on it what i should tackle first. The radiator looks a tad on the old side, ad it could be the viscous hub, i dont think its the water pump as it would probably have heating issues when going at speed too. Maybe the thermostat i dunno.

Was just wondering if anyone had ideas on what it is more likely to be thats all .... thanks in advance

EseriesAddict :)

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:06 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

change your thermostat and flush the radiator to start with, check you hoses, that one is not sucking down when warm,

I have a car.

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

Remove the radiator and clean all the crap that is usually stuck between it and the condensor, then do what dc_todd suggests as you put it back together.
For best option, save your money to put in EF-EL thermo fans and give the old fan the flick. My standard ED cooling works great but it isn't a patch on the thermos I have in the EB2 for cooling or economy.
Make sure you always use good coolant and not tap water with chlorine. Water will not cool the rear of the head properly resulting in high temps and head gasket problems.
Cheers,
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:17 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

are the thermos that good ?? i think at some stage i will just do this conversion anyhow, but money is tight at the mo so one thing at a time :)

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:29 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

A new radiator will fix all your problems.

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Boosted ED XR6, EBII Mont Wgn

Power: 252 rwkw

VIC, Australia

may also be the clutch in the clutch fan..

[SEXYR-6] ED XR6 T5 Turbo Build
[EBW-347] EB Wagon V8 Stroker Build
FordMods Member #1761

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

Paulmac wrote:
Remove the radiator and clean all the crap that is usually stuck between it and the condensor, then do what dc_todd suggests as you put it back together.
For best option, save your money to put in EF-EL thermo fans and give the old fan the flick. My standard ED cooling works great but it isn't a patch on the thermos I have in the EB2 for cooling or economy.
Make sure you always use good coolant and not tap water with chlorine. Water will not cool the rear of the head properly resulting in high temps and head gasket problems.
Cheers,
Paul

Also when your in the process of cleaning / flushing ya system check all your hoses and remove the coolant bottle / resevior tank and clean all the gunk and s**t from that and run the car for a few days if it still gets hot the clutch fan is rooted...

either goto a EF/EL thermo fan setup or get a 5 blade EA fan,,, you use slighty less horse power and the fan flows better.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:43 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 16 images

Power: 165 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I had the same problem but only when A/C on, put new hoses on and got radiator cleaned,fitted new thermostat all that helped the temp but then the thermostat kept sticking shut, so I removed the thermostat and drilled two 3/16th holes in it put it back in now it stays fairly cool.

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

HP hungry wrote:
I had the same problem but only when A/C on, put new hoses on and got radiator cleaned,fitted new thermostat all that helped the temp but then the thermostat kept sticking shut, so I removed the thermostat and drilled two 3/16th holes in it put it back in now it stays fairly cool.

Did you try warranty on the thermostat? There are problems with running the engine cool.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:54 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

so i have replaced the fan, (not clutch), the radiator (with a 3 core), hoses flushed the engine, new coolant and still the beast will overheat. Th only 2 things left are the viscous clutch and the water pump. Water pump is resonably new so that leaves the clutch. Does that sound right ??

For the same price of a new viscous clutch i could change to the EL thermos so i will prolly do that when money allows.

If anyone else has any other suggestion they would be appreciated

cheers
ESeriesAddict

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

pity your not near me i have two clutch fans complete with fan sitting here doing nothing.

hope it goes well.

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

As you've already addressed the T/stat, that sounds right as far as components go.
I'd suggest a compression test to be eliminate a head gasket leak and a pressure test
A friend's EF showed exactly the same symptoms as your car, including running well but it had a leaking head gasket between 5 & 6.
He was also advised to have a comp. test over a month ago but chose to replace all that you have done, his fans were working well. As a last resort he had test done and confirmed the head gasket was the problem.
He also had chosen to run plain water as a coolant to save a few bucks. Ah well...at least it hadn't blown completely.
Paul

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:17 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

im pretty sure the head gasket is ok, there is no water in the oil at all ... im pretty sure its the viscous fan ... as its only at idle that it gets hot and only after a while !!

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I'm hoping you're right, replace the hub quickly then and see if it fixes it.
There was no oil/water mix in Tím's engine either, the head gasket leak was into the water jacket causing the overheating.
Not all head gasket problems immediately mix oil and water.
I was just suggesting the test to be positive there was no problem.
As "naughtyfalcon" says, pity you're so far away as I've also got viscous hubs laying around looking for a home.
Cheers,
Paul

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

eseriesaddict

I'm in Perth, and I have two clutch fans.. both of which were working great when in the car... one EA, one ED...

you can have either with a ten dollar contribution to my beer fund.. :-)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]