Fordmods Logo

p plater mods 

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: p plater mods
Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:21 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: BA falcon

NSW, Australia

hi i am looking at doin some mods to my car an ed falcon.afull lukey sports exahust some extractors and a custom air intake, lowered kingsprings and a better cam. and was wonderering how i would go with these mods being on p plate would i get in s**t from the cops. o and if anybody has any sujestions on some other mods i should do they would be greatly appreciated

Post subject: Re: p plater mods
Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:03 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1995 EF Ford Fairmont

QLD, Australia

yeh you most likely would get introuble with those mods if u actually got pulled over and had your car inspected.
so the thing is to not draw attention to yourself.

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: AUII Ghia TS50 Wannabe

VIC, Australia

nah go for it just leave a heat shield on, as long as your not a tool, generally speaking, cops will leave you alone. As long as your not dumped past the legal limit and your subtle with your changes, you'll be right. A new cam, exhaust, suspension they are all sweet as long as your not doin' circle work in a police car park, also don't be a smart a***, I've seen plenty of P platers have their cars done over with a fine tooth comb, just because the P plater is hanging his arm out the window, smoking, giving lip and pumping the subs.

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

This whole "P Plate" law s**t. I am yet to hear of anyone getting booked or talked to with cars that are modded legally, all professional installed (or installed properly and not rice like I.E pod filters etc) Lowered legally and alike and if you don't drive like a little f**k idiot, (screeching tyres ever were you go, speeding, just dumb s**t)

you won't have nothing to worry abot. I have had a few modded cars over the span of this law and my P Plate (now full) licensed girl freind /feiances. didn't get touched.... Other mates havn't had trouble and the other p plate people I know don't get bothered unless they are acting like a d**k..

so ask yourself... are you going to be an idiot or just drive normally and want a little bit of grunt etc.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH falcon ute

NSW, Australia

just do it get a 1673 wade cam, 4499's or 4480's, bbm, cia and an exhaust and it will be a completely different car dont worry about any thing being on the inside of the motor ie cam porting head shave etc as they will have to rip the motor down and this is to much work for cops as they are lazy and dont want to do that.

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

ok probably a stupid question but im still learing wat is a 4499s or 4880s or a bbm or a cia

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:54 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

my advice would be to do stuff that cops arnt going to see
extractors- extremely obvious once the bonnets open
exhaust- not so much obvious as long as its not extremely loud
cam- not obvious as all

theres plenty of other things you can do but you just have to either be subtle about it or not be an idiot about it and try and show off these new mods

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

jordancoe wrote:
ok probably a stupid question but im still learing wat is a 4499s or 4880s or a bbm or a cia

Mate you have a lot of reading to do.. :lol:

- 4499's and 4480's are the 2 models of extractors that Pacemaker have out to suit the EA-AU motors..
- A BBM is a Broadband manifold as seen on EF and later models..
- A CIA is a.... Central Intelligence Agency?? :P

Obviously he meant CAI which is cold air intake..

I dont know a whole lot about "P Plate" rules and regs, all i know i've seen a s**t load of young guns that come on here and ask what mods they could/should do to their cars while still coming under the P Plate restrictions.. I reckon you'd be best to stick with the basics and dont draw attention to yourself as others have already stated.. Try not to have too loud an exhaust system, dont drive like a d***head and dont lower the car to a ridiculously low height and roll around on stockies - you'll be pretty much a cop magnet..

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:22 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

o ok cool thanx yea i no iv got a lot to learn. so wat does a bbm do compared to the stock ed one

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:27 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

KWIKXR wrote:
jordancoe wrote:
and dont lower the car to a ridiculously low height and roll around on stockies - you'll be pretty much a cop magnet..

forgot bout stockies. dont put nice rims on the front and stockies on the back its extremely obvious that your intending to do burnouts.
like the other day i saw a nice ute rolling around with 18s on the front and stockos on the back and first thing i thought was bet hes gonna be doing burnouts later on next thing i know he turns the corner accelerates as fast as he can and chirps 3rd gear howd i guess? the rims.

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH falcon ute

NSW, Australia

the bbm has a set of runners in it that open at 3800rpm so you get lots more low down power but you loose a bit up top but this is not a problem if it is just a street car.
it is one of the best mods for a street car.
and put extractors on and act like a spoon if you get pulled over and if they ask what are they just say you dont know and it will be ok (well at least it was for me) :lol:

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

o yea now i no wat u are talking about but doesnt it make it harder to work on the car like changing spark plug leads and getting to the dizzy

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ford au

QLD, Australia

been pulled over heaps of times by cops and even driven pass them and i have no trouble what so ever with my body kit, my loud exhuast or the cai, and never been asked to pop the hood at all

Daily Driver, Series 1 Au Forte

Quote:
Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon EBII/EF Turbo

VIC, Australia

Dont waste your money.....

Go get yourself a turbo kit for it!
Best money youll ever spend and the best mod youll ever do if done correct :)

If your car looks stock and you dont drive like a d**k you wont be looked at.
Simple

vaaaaaauuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmm ppsshhhhhhhhhhhhhtt vaaaaauuuummmmmm

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 94 ED falcon

QLD, Australia

I have extractors, exhaust, lowered suspension and soon will have 1673(wade camshaft)
I've been pulled over 3 or 4 times just for driving late 1 or 2ish, i reckon they look for drugs more then anything and check ID's. I did get a compliment for having a clean car inside lol, Just dont give them lip or be smart a*** and sh|t.

Dont worry about the BBM there are no major RWKW gains there to worry about it. Unless your really really hunting for more down low power, but thats what the right cam shaft can do for you and there easier to fit. For the BBM you need a different ECU and there some electrical work to be done but if thats your game go for it.

Another thing you could do is install Thermo fans from an EF EL falcon and wiring them up using a craig davis kit which you can buy from Supercheap (some ppl dont like them but i get 25% discount)

Again you could do a Serpentine belt setup with changes the ED 3 belt to a EF EL single belt. Note this will require some EF EL parts to be purchased and dont regas your aircon if you plan to do this mod as you have to change the aircon pump.

You dont need a "custom" CAI (cold air intake) just a modified one. Stick to getting a XH XG falcon snorkel, K&N filter and EA T/B(throttle body) to air box piece. I have one you can buy for $20 including post anywhere in AUS)

Get a WADE CAM, As a general rule, the 1636(part number) is suited to an auto whereas the 1673 is for a manual. The 1636 should start to make power at about 2500 and the 1673 at around the 2700 mark. There's very little difference between the two. You should be able to get one for under $200 including post but give one of the guys from wade cams a PM.

Pacemaker Extractors are good value for money, there a decent brand and very popular item. The exhaust, know as a "cat back" system is up to you, but go for something with a muffler and resinator. This should give you a nice idle note and only really make some noise once you raise the RPM, instead of a cannon which makes the sh|ttist noise any time you touch the pedal.

Besides from the above you should upgrade your brakes too, you should be able to get new DBA slotted rotors and some bendex pads for around the $500 - $600 mark

Dont be afraid to replace your shocks when getting new springs

Thats my rant done,

Regards,

Michael.

Last edited by itlookslikeaxr6 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next