Fordmods Logo

performance comes and goes? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: performance comes and goes?
Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EF xr6 AU3 220kw xr8

VIC, Australia

Hey guys just wanted to put it out there to see if this sorta thing happens to your car, Got an ef xr6 4499 pacies, 2/12 inch redback exhaust, hi flow cat, 1673 wade cam, modded air intake, Well maintained serviced all that jazz. Get into my car any time of day and it runs mediocre, u know just OK, then other days its like its possessed, throttle response is second to none, kick in the pants fast, that blood rush up your legs when the torque ban kicks in feeling. it has its days, actually its sounds like its more like a woman cant make its mind up. Any one have the same issue. Will be looking to get a dyno done ASAP so i can get a J3 chip made for the car. Hope that helps the issue but just looking for some feedback.

Post subject: Re: performance comes and goes?
Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

does it change with ambient temperature?

is your fuel pump healthy. mine is a bit dodgy atm (dual fuel, mostly run on gas) and on petrol it surges a little and sometimes just feels like crap. other times is good

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

I've got much the same setup as yours. Prior to getting it tuned properly, it ran quite rough all the time. Would you say the car runs great on cold days? Has it been acting up since the cam was installed, or before that?

I found that after the timing was set during dynotuning, the J3 chip fixed the AFRs through the rev range. The car ran a lot smoother and I picked up 34 rwkw. Having the cam dialed in with a vernier gear also helped.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EF xr6 AU3 220kw xr8

VIC, Australia

Air temp doesnt seem to be the common factor, Not sure on fuel pump but fuel filter brand new. Didnt get vernier gear for cam tho. Maybe look at that a little later. took a bout 2-3 weeks for CPU to learn new cam but seems to be coping ok now with idle issues, jus a little frustrated on the performance, for example i can run around the corner to mates joint say 10 mins, switch off the car come back out 30 mins later and its a completely different car. Dont know what the deal is, sounds like the CPU thats why im hoping a chip will set its parameters and it just runs on those and doesnt change its mind so much. Wait and see tho just seeing if anybody has had similar issue. Thanks for the quick reply BTW fellas top stuff. :)

Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Bit of a longshot, but its possible that the TPS (throttle position sensor) could be on its way out. Mine died a while back, occasionally the car would run like absolute puss, barely idle, no power. Re-start the car a few times and it'd come good. Holy f**k it was annoying until I figured out what was wrong with it.
TPS is the black box on the side of the throttle body btw.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

kickn_it wrote:
Hey guys just wanted to put it out there to see if this sorta thing happens to your car, Got an ef xr6 4499 pacies, 2/12 inch redback exhaust, hi flow cat, 1673 wade cam, modded air intake, Well maintained serviced all that jazz. Get into my car any time of day and it runs mediocre, u know just OK, then other days its like its possessed, throttle response is second to none, kick in the pants fast, that blood rush up your legs when the torque ban kicks in feeling. it has its days, actually its sounds like its more like a woman cant make its mind up. Any one have the same issue. Will be looking to get a dyno done ASAP so i can get a J3 chip made for the car. Hope that helps the issue but just looking for some feedback.

Mine use to do the same thing, would feel real good some days and s**t on others. The tune fixed that up for me. But the car still goes alot better in the cold.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]