Performance thermostat? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Performance thermostat?
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Was just browsing the BPT site and came across this:
http://www.norcom.net.au/~bpt/Ford%20Thermostats.htm

Now if I had seen something like this on Ebay my reaction would be "scam" straight away however I know BPT are quite reputable and a forum sponsor to boot. So is it really possible to see a 3 kw gain on the dyno sheet for a 30 dollar thermostat? Has anyone tried this product out?

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:39 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

WA, Australia

I know that when my car was flash tuned, the tuner put in a thermostat, that was modified by him, to keep the car from getting to hot, so now instead of my car sitting between 1/4 and 1/2 temp it now sits on 1/4 temp all the time.

This is probably very similar to what BPT are proposing here, but mine was only $12 and it wasn't actually measured for a power gain (whats 3 kw anyway).

$30-40 seems a bit steep if this is the same product

BA XR6 Turbo

Xtreme Tuned
240.1 rwkw at 12 PSI

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:03 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: eb

VIC, Australia

i think that he just drilled a hole through the thermostat which allows some cold water past you do the same thing went you run a engine in

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

You can pick up an 82 degree TRIDON brand thermostat for about $15-$20 from any good auto spares outlet. It's physically the same looking as the stock ford item but starts to open 10 degrees cooler.

I have been running one for over 1 year now and it's a cheap good mod. My fuel economy hasn't changed either. 82 degree still enables the ECU to go into lean cruise mode.

The performance i noticed wasn't an outright 3rwkw gain but your car will always have the same throttle response and power it has in the first 20min of driving. Even when stuck in heavy traffic it will have the same power as a cool motor in the morning.

Which is good because all the falcons i have owned would suffer from this prolonged heat soak and you can feel a reduction in engine performance.

The higher temp stock ford thermostat was used to meet emissions regulation. Nitrogen dioxide being the main gas.

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 94 ED Fairmont, MY97 LE WRX

VIC, Australia

I currantly have a 95 degree thermostat in my EB1 on a hot day the car runs about half way on the gauge, but on a cold day it runs cold too damn cold just over the second line just reading, I have changed temp switches, thermostats and temp gauges but it is still the same, damn cold during winter unless I sit idleing for 1hr but as soon as you drive it drops back.

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:57 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

3kw in itself is not much but 3kw for 30 bucks? I'd take $10 a kilowatt anyday :)

Anyway it seems like a worthwhile mod if only to reduce heatsoak. Will see if I can pick one up from my local auto shop.

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

Performance thermostat???????????? just like performance tail lights read altezza, what a load of s**t, its a f**k thermostat, all it can do is open at a set temp, add horsepower my a***. Worded like that to attract ricers who buy any s**t which claims to offer horsepower.

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH Ute

WA, Australia

bowsaw wrote:
Performance thermostat???????????? just like performance tail lights read altezza, what a load of s**t, its a f**k thermostat, all it can do is open at a set temp, add horsepower my a***. Worded like that to attract ricers who buy any s**t which claims to offer horsepower.

Don't hold back bro !!

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

That's a joke. It must be.

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

bowsaw wrote:

f**k Bowsaw you beat me to it.......betya philski or whatever his name is has got one in his nissan.......actually he's probably got three or four to gain at least 9kw

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:03 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: xh xr6 ute

ACT, Australia

Some people think a cooler thermostat makes the engine run richer. It does not. It heats the air entering the engine less creating a denser fuel/air charge thereby developing more power. Cooler induction air is less prone to induce spark knock so the ECU can run more aggressive ignition timing resulting in greater power. this explanation from an american site

God made s**t happen, Holden found a way to make it move

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

xr64me wrote:
Some people think a cooler thermostat makes the engine run richer. It does not. It heats the air entering the engine less creating a denser fuel/air charge thereby developing more power. Cooler induction air is less prone to induce spark knock so the ECU can run more aggressive ignition timing resulting in greater power. this explanation from an american site

How does the thermostat heat or cool the air?
it's not good to run an engine cold, they take a lot more wear.

Does this thermostate go pssh pssssh when it opens up? That'd be fully sick!

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
xr64me wrote:

How does the thermostat heat or cool the air?
it's not good to run an engine cold, they take a lot more wear.

Does this thermostate go pssh pssssh when it opens up? That'd be fully sick!

The comment is on the right track. Ford put in a 92-93 degree thermostat to increase the heat in the engines combustion chamber, so as to burn off nitrogen dioxide and thus meet emission regulations. Therefore lowering the temp of the thermostat will reduce the heat in the combustion chamber.

You will NOT get any extra RWKW, it just helps too prevent the engine becoming heat soaked which as we all know REDUCES ENGINE PERFORMANCE.

cheers.........

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

You will NOT get any extra RWKW, it just helps too prevent the engine becoming heat soaked which as we all know REDUCES ENGINE PERFORMANCE.

cheers.........[/quote]
I can live with that, a donk at the optimum temp runs best etc, not beacause of a PERFORMANCE thermostat, its a thermostat period, choose the right temp and you get the best results.

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: fairmont

QLD, Australia

so where can i get a matching performance radiator cap

Now i have a EF XR8 5spd.........mmmmmm 5L

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next